Approved Helmet Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved Helmet Question?

Is a Snell 2000 approved helmet ok for racing in stock outboard next year. If anyone has the time, what are the approved helmets these days. I'm looking to get a helmet, have everything else.
    Thank You,
    Earl
    Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Glad to see you getting ready.

The question should be what is the best helmet I can buy. Quality is #1 issue, apba has no standard. It says a helmet is required. The is some language about driver is responsible by all resonable standards, bla bla bla.

Buy the the best lid you can in this order:
    1. Safety
    2. Comfort/fit (Some helmet just do not fit well for racing)
    Example:

Bell helmets have lower chin coverage than say M2r or Shuie. Turn you head and look back to the righ and left with you jacket on. Some drivers do not look while they race but for those of us that like to see things.... you make the call.

3. cost

A good helmet should last 5-6 years and longer if you never get it wet and keep in cool. All helmets shoud be replaced after any impact. Read the inside label!

Look at the materials in the construction. Why pay 400 when a 150 one is made of the same stuff without 1 air vent or some styling.

The real cost question is this, when and if a helmet is needed the weeks after the crash do you want to eat solids or liquids, read or be read to, be alive or dead. Would you pay $100 for a 10% reduction in concusions or injury? I made up the percentage but you get the point.

The short answer to you question is snell 2000 is good. Snell 95 ok but see above.

OH, good luck in racing and rember it should be a tight fit! If it does not stay on how will it help you. And get one with a removeable liner, worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by brian
      apba has no standard. It says a helmet is required. The is some language about driver is responsible by all resonable standards, bla bla bla.
      Incorrect! Go back and reread your rule book!

OH, good luck in racing and remember it should be a tight fit! If it does not stay on how will it help you.
      Very good advice. Helmet experts say you should wear a helmet that fits as tight as you can stand for the time you are racing. If you are endurance racing cars or motorcycles you probably can't stand to wear a very tight helmet. Except for marathons we rarely need to have ours on for more than 15 minutes; we don't need the loose fit needed for hour after hour comfort.
      Last edited by sam; 10-23-2005, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Brian and Sam that helps me a lot, I will also read rule book when I get one!
        Earl
        Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

WHAT are the requirements in APBA?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Snell 75 or newer, DOT, ANSI approved motorcycle & auto racing, Peltor models Rally Pro EU ECU 04 or Rally Pro EU ECU 05 or MIL spec CGF models LA100, LH050, LH150, LH250, Gentex HGU84P aircraft helmets.

Comment

HELMETS! Come on Earl, I thougt you were tougher than all that. Just toss on some old open faced thing you had in the 60's, you'll be alright. Hell, down here we just were bicycle helmets, (just don't tell anyone at APBA). But I guess us rednecks are just more manly than you region 3 guys!
              Ryan Runne
              9-H
              Wacusee Speedboats
              ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Do you ever sleep?

Ya and you Runnes never sleep either 2:59am reply! I'm ready now Ryan and everyone that knows me knows I don't need no stinking helmet, just kidding.
                I'm picking up my new "A" rig today and tomorrow. I'm back buddy!!!! Stock Outboard will never be the same again!
                Earl

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z
                  HELMETS! Come on Earl, I thougt you were tougher than all that. Just toss on some old open faced thing you had in the 60's, you'll be alright. (just don't tell anyone at APBA). But I guess us rednecks are just more manly than you region 3 guys!

"Hell, down here we just were bicycle helmets"

.............that explains ALOT!!!!! .......................
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Earl-

I think this will work for you...............
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey "T" I now owe you one!
                      Pal

Comment

The best guy to ask is Bob Wartinger.

UIM Safety Commitee chairman (I think that's his current position) so if he can't tell you the best or give guidance who can?

In the UK a couple of years ago this was looked into and the actual requirements are not too dis-similar to mountain biking and the like. The impact requirement for road racing (bikes / cars) isn't really applicable to non-cell drivers. To my mind the most important aspect is firstly visibility, can you be seen and also see, secondly, bucketing effect. A full face lid can lead to an increase in this if there aren't enough channels for any water to flow out of.....

As far as I know tho' there are no specificaly approved (by all regulatory authorities) boat racing helmets.
                        Team 27
                        F:250 Hydroplane Racing

Comment

Snell 2000 Helmets

Earl, I have lots of stock of Snell 2000 helmets in Racing Orange, visors, no fog visor inserts and helmet bags at very reasonable prices. These helmets have revoveable liners clearcoat finish, UV and scratch resistant visors. I have sold hundreds of these helmets and have had few complaints. www.fralickboats.com

Rick Fralick

Comment

Working...
                          X