"1/2"A Stock Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "1/2"A Stock Hydro

As I consider getting back into hydro racing, I thought you all might enjoy a picture of the recently restored 6' hydro my father built in 1950 when he was 16 years old - he is 80 now.

The last time it was in the water in 1974, my 12 year old brother had a 6hp Merc on the back (tiller only), and flipped it 15 seconds off the beach...but it was looking good the prior 10 seconds .....

Shortly after Dad nearly killed us both, we proceeded to build a 10' C Stock Hydro and run 20 and 25 Hurricanes on it in the 70's....Then life got in the way.

To comemorate how some of us get into this sport (you spend your childhood summers looking at that boat, told to never put it in the water by your old man, and dream of what that ride would be like......it was painful!), I though I would honor dear ol Dad by using a picture of his boat as my profile picture. This picture was taken in his shop Nov. of this year and is still there....

Now i gotta get back to my search for a DSH to race this summer...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JAHam1; 12-20-2013, 06:17 PM.

Jerry Davids has a great boat that is 1 year old and Gary Pond has a brand new Tohatsu/ I'm sure they could put the package together for you. They are both in VA.
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Cool looking boat and motor!

Hope to see you on the water this summer.

- Mike

Comment

Dad says this is a class M hydro and he is willing to sell. If you have any interest please connect with me and I will get you directly connected to him. It is in Maine. I am the former JAHam1 above. Changed my user name to better reflect my sailing vs hot boat internal struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by JAHam1 View Post
          As I consider getting back into hydro racing, I thought you all might enjoy a picture of the recently restored 6' hydro my father built in 1950 when he was 16 years old - he is 80 now.

The last time it was in the water in 1974, my 12 year old brother had a 6hp Merc on the back (tiller only), and flipped it 15 seconds off the beach...but it was looking good the prior 10 seconds .....

Shortly after Dad nearly killed us both, we proceeded to build a 10' C Stock Hydro and run 20 and 25 Hurricanes on it in the 70's....Then life got in the way.

To comemorate how some of us get into this sport (you spend your childhood summers looking at that boat, told to never put it in the water by your old man, and dream of what that ride would be like......it was painful!), I though I would honor dear ol Dad by using a picture of his boat as my profile picture. This picture was taken in his shop Nov. of this year and is still there....

Now i gotta get back to my search for a DSH to race this summer...
          That's a nice boat, 12yo probably too big tho
          Team Tower

Comment

Cool Stuff

I'm always amazed at the cool stuff that is in people's basements.

Is that a KF5 ? The original "J" motor.

Best Regards,

Dean Hobart................
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

That is the real deal....5 1/2 HP i think...Pop's knows for sure.

Comment

A better pic of the motor
                Attached Files

Comment

He also has some bigger K's....see pics....Heads only, no lower units....these went on QS B lower units at one time long ago. Maybe they were QSA compatable...been a while.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bipolarboater; 03-01-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I think the black one is 10HP, the Red one 7 1/2 HP

Comment

Any interest on any of the above by anybody and I will get you connected to my father....

Comment

Let Us Know How Much$$??

Originally posted by Bipolarboater View Post
                        Any interest on any of the above by anybody and I will get you connected to my father....
                        Please let us know how much$$??

Thanks.
                        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Bipolar Hydro

Lets all hoist a BLUE BULLET[Point Beer] to Bipolar! I was introduced to boat racing on the Wisconsin River in Stevens Point. I met my future wife and her dad raced hydros with the local race club, nonsanctioned races but a lot of fun. Shirley and I would hold the boat etc. 14 years old at the time! I got hooked on racing.
                          During the highschool years I built a hydro from Champion Boats Plans. The shape looks real similar to your dad's boat. I never raced it but after service in the navy, married Shirley had kids, bought a house, payments and all the stuff that interferes with racing.

We put a 6 horse Johnson on my hydro and the kids had a ball. My boat was 9 ft long and kinda heavy so the kids never got in trouble. It ran 23-24 mph.

This is way off the subject but what I'm getting at is you are never too old to start racing. I started when I was 34 and retired 2 years ago at 78.

Are you in Stevens Point or Maine? Post you dads name or send me a pm. I may have been in school with him.

Bruce C. Summers.

Comment

Dad and boat are in Maine. Boat and motor rig he wants $600.00 for and he can't deliver. I am in SPoint WI so unable help deliver. His email is ban@megalink.net . If anybody can't reach him by email, PM me directly and I will chase him down. Regarding the power heads, I will connect with him on those and find out pricing. Those may be small enough to ship at reasonable cost. I do they both ran before they were pulled off the lower units. We started running 20H's on the lower units, hence the reason these were no longer used.

Comment

Working...
                            X