Looking for some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advice.

Hi I'm new to this site and have some questions on getting involved in stock outboard racing. I would like to know why some of you guys chose to race hydro's or runabouts. What class should I race in. What equipment is needed other than the boat, motor, safety equipment. Some info on myself. I am 30, 6'1" about 240lbs. I have been boating all my life so I know how to handle a pleasure boat but know nothing about a race boat. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Scott

Thank you for your interest! There are a lot of classes you can become involved in...it depends on how fast you want to go, how much money you want to spend...and where you live. Not all classes run in all areas of the country. Can you give us some more information? Dave

Comment

I live in south east Michigan. I have done some research and have been looking further into BSR or CSR. I also haven't ruled out hydroplanes but it seems like the runabouts race more in Michigan. As far as money goes I have no idea as to what it costs to get started.

Comment

Hi Scott,

The best thing to do is to contact one of the members of the Michigan Hydroplane Racing Association. Here is a link to their website: http://www.michiganhydroplane.com/

They also offer a Drivers school for interested people so that you can drive one of the boats.

Kind Regards
        Craig Furnal
        Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Try to contact M.H.R.A. A great club with members in your area.
          Generally, the men go with runabouts. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyJ98 View Post
            I live in south east Michigan. I have done some research and have been looking further into BSR or CSR. I also haven't ruled out hydroplanes but it seems like the runabouts race more in Michigan. As far as money goes I have no idea as to what it costs to get started.
            Scott- Michigan is almost like outboard racers heaven. Michigan and Seattle have the two biggest outboard clubs in the country.

If you're looking at runabouts and choosing between BSR and CSR I would go with CSR. Great class, but most of all would fit your body type. All classes have a minimum weight, obviously some classes are bigger than others with heavier weights. CSR has a min weight of 475 (boat, motor, driver). BSR is closer to 365 for all three. The good news is CSR is a big class in your area. With options of regular circular/oval track racing and marathon racing. I would suggest getting ahold of Dean Sutherland. He races CSR in Michigan and is a big supporter of new drivers.

Now about CSR. Motor is a yamato. Great motor because you can run that in about 6 different classes right now (between hydro/runabouts) and it's low cost ($2600 from dealer). Let's say you start out with a CSR rig. Boat, motor, prop, etc. You can drive that combo in 2 classes. CSR and 25ssr (with a restrictor). This will give you more water time. Runabouts are a little more difficult to handle than hydros, but if you ever want to drive a hydro later it will be an easier transition. I always say the best hydro drivers were runabout drivers first. Plus if you want to drive CSH later, you already have the motor and just need the hydro. Very easy switch. Or if you have the money add the hydro too and you can then start running more classes for more water time.

Here's a current boat from Penn for sale on this site:
            http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26413

Also a couple of boats for sale here and in Michigan:
            http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26404

Good Luck. Any more question, just ask!
            Kyle Bahl
            20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Is the motor a Yamamoto 302? Do most guys usually have a back up motor.as far as boats go do you recommend brand new, used, build one. When looking at used boats what should I look for. Another question I have is regarding roll up or flat turn boats. Does one perform better or is this personal preference.

Comment

Hi Scott and welcome to Hydro Racer. I'm sure you will get a lot of perspectives and opinions here which is a good thing. I happen to race "C and 25SS runabouts" based on my weight and a few other reasons. That said there are drivers who race both hydro's and runabouts it's all about your preference. Moving forward MHRA offers what I think is the best drivers school in the country. I would strongly recommend that you see if there is an opening for the next school, let me know if you need help with that. If that is not an option than I would also strongly suggest that you make every effort to attend the next MHRA race scheduled for Sept 7th and 8th at Grass Lake Mi. Here you will be able to get up close and personal to the races, pits, drivers and crews. Your more than welcome to hang out in the Team Casual pit. I'll make sure to introduce you to some MHRA members that race both styles of boats. Being that we are sort of neighbors (I live in Plymouth) I'll be more than happy to do what I can to help you navigate your options on a local level. I'll send you a PM with my phone #.

Thx,

Sam
                87-M

Comment

I plan on going to the grass lake race. I'll have to look into the driver school.

Comment

Scott, I'll give you some short answers.

Yes, it is a Yamato 302 which is newer updated version it's predecessor the 102.

Yes, many drivers have multiple engines but it is not a necessity.

No, I would not recommend a new boat. There are many good used boats out there that are good values for a new driver.

Roll up vs. side fin boat ? That is a personal preference but I can tell you that that there are very few CSR roll ups out there. By far the vast majority of CSR's are side fin boats and that's what I would recommend to you for a lot of reasons. That said when you see "B" runabouts race they will always be roll ups .

Sam,

Comment

CSR Outfit

Complete CSR Outfit, here on HydroRacer.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...threadid=26413

Good Luck............
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Do a MHRA drivers school. It is absolutely the best way to learn about boat racing. My granddaughter went through school at Grass Lake three weeks ago and then then next week at Constantine finished on the podium in K-Pro. Then raced like a veteran this past weekend at the Pro Nationals. She could not have done it without the experience of MHRA drivers school.

And in my opinion, as a Pro runabout driver, a side-fin C Stock Runabout is the way to go.

Comment

I have another question, how do you get everything to the water? Back of the pick up, boat trailer, cargo trailer?

Comment

Scott Go with a hydro , runabouts are like fat girls , fun to ride but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one !

Comment

Hey Scotty, Do what you gotta do, But in all honestly, (If you want to suit up and go fast) take a hydro, if you want to go fast and be in charge, try a runabout, (takes a little bit more than holding on)! Sorry hydro guys/gals, just an opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X