Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
    Bill says " $1200-1500 will get you a used 302 all day long"

.........really? If so, I will take 2!!!!!! I am sure you meant 102??
    lets avoid any what if's by just saying a new 302 from ricky at 2300 still may be less money than a good running 30h.
    Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

70" afterplane....way to short for anything over a C stock.....perfect for a Yamato 80 though...20ssh

Where can I get more information on C stock? and Yamato 80s and 20ssh?

Comment

Good Call.............

30H would look great on the ole tractor boat!!..........

Comment

Originally posted by UThree View Post
          70" afterplane....way to short for anything over a C stock.....perfect for a Yamato 80 though...20ssh

Where can I get more information on C stock? and Yamato 80s and 20ssh?
          here ya go....

http://www.apba.org/stockoutboard
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Hydro project

Post some pics here so we can see it better
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Now that its established to be a C/20SSH theres several race choices & a few vintage. Speed can range from about 55 to 65, 50 to 55 is about where it will lift & be the plane part of hydroplane
              Team Tower

Comment

I think where I am headed is vintage events. That 55 mph area is where I would like to be. Starting to get aired out! Might take more, I weigh 220lbs. Boat is racked in the garage, and I will get it out to take some better pictures.

Where is vintage racing? What about AOMCI wet meets?

Comment

Hydro

The boat is quite small for the four cylinder engines. At a little over 10 feet you might want to think about a 25ss Merc or a yamatto 102. If your on a lake just running for fun there most likely will be other boats out there which would make the boat a handful to run with a 4. For fun running 55 to 60 MPH can be acheived with the two cylinder engines. Also the transom weight will be reduced and make the boat a bit easier to handle. My put is to use a two cylinder Merc. The old Mark 25 can be ported and a large carb and reed block added to give the engine a bit more power. Is the existing engine on a Quicksilver lower unit? I assume you have to run with closed exhaust also.

Alan

Comment

project

Ther are plenty of AOMCI members in Ohio. Contact AOMCI and inquire

http://www.aomci.org/

There are many wet meets. Down here in Fla every meet I go to is wet and we run our hydros and other old boats. You will have fun playing around and meeting the members.

As far as engine choice since a CSH hull I would go with a 30H if you want vintage look but high cost, or a Yamato Y80 102 302 if you want a very reliable relatively low cost engine easy to work on, lots of them out there. With your weight at 220 and hull at ? the 302 would be the Yamato choice, since CD ignition is definately easier than the points to fool with and they are the present legal engine in APBA CSH.

A 55H, 44 xs is probably a bit extreme for this hull size to be safe.
                    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

These are all great posts; sure do appreciate hearing these ideas.

Wanna go fast....wanna be safe.

Comment

My class D Furnal Flyer with me at 200 running a stock MK25 powerhead on the Quickie mid and lower unit has done 49.6. It is a lot of fun and still very stable to run. When this boat was raced in the 80's with the 44 on it, it was said that it saw speeds in the mid 80's. I have also thought about getting a 4 cyl. on it, but the speed of what I have is fun and being able to put the motor on and off by myself is a very nice feature. Also find it to be not very thirsty on fuel. One of the 3 gal. tanks gives me more than enough for a aomci meet.

Comment

Syd,
                          Thanks for chiming in; unfortunately I have no progress to report.

The Mark 25 is a shifting engine; but I was wondering whether the quickie lower unit is shiftable?

I don't know, never seen one up close.

With a bigger carburetor, a quickie lower unit, a KH7 or KG7 might do as well as your Mark 25.

Comment

Syds Furnal is a nice boat, seen it at Lake Hopatcong. I've seen a B hydro with a KG7H run in the low 50s & have a MK25 [stock powerhead] on a Quicky that would do 48-49 on a C hydro with my 210#'s onboard. The quicky has no shift, start-n-go. Its not so bad tho, not likely to jump out from under you but being tuned well makes all the difference in getting going.
                            Team Tower

Comment

"What is the right motor, class D Furnal"
                              This thread should have been titled, "What is the right ANTIQUE motor, class D Furnal"

You do realize the KG7 and Mark 25 motors are both about 60 years old?

Comment

Working...
                              X