Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started

Just getting started in the sport. Picked up the boat in the photo attached last weekend. Looking for any info. thats out there on getting into a vintage type class for this boat. Possibly going to add a hydro to the fleet, we'll see how things go with the present boat. I plan on attending the class on Sept. 19th and 20th in Big Rapids. I would like to get started racing next season, and Im in the process of learning rules, where events are, safety gear, and of course handling of the new boat. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Good to have you aboard. Where do you live? The best way to get started racing is to pair up with a mentor, if you let us know where you are located we can get you in touch with someone.
    Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

MHRA website

Sounds like you live in Michigan? Go to http://www.michiganhydroplane.com/ for all the info you should need.

I would strongly suggest stopping by the Stock Nationals at Grass Lake July 31-Aug 4. There will be many people to talk to there. Although no vintage class will race, you'll learn a lot. The boat you have looks like a D Stock Runabout, which will run that week.
      www.trora.com

Comment

Nice looking rig!!!
        Bob

Comment

You could run that girl in the Top O Marathon.
          Bob

Comment

I have heard Classics will run the Marathon at Grass Lake as well..could be wrong though...
            Roger A 68M
            Team Casual

Comment

Hydroplaning,
              Give me a call at your convenience and we can talk about getting into the sport and Big Rapids... we do not have a Racer School there, only in Grass Lake the weekend before, let's chat and we'll work something out. If you do live in Michigan and have the time, definitely come out to the Nationals in Grass Lake. The classics are scheduled to run on Saturday Aug. 4th, and you will not see better racing anyplace in the country. Great time to check it out, especially if it's in your backyard.
              I will PM you my cell number.
              -Elek Hutchinson
              MHRA
              Elek Hutchinson
              36M

Comment

Thanks for the replies,I am in Michigan however Grass lake is not going to be possible. I live in Marquette. Ran the boat for the first time last night, what a nice ride!!! I was very surprised by the responsiveness of the engine. Boat was a riot, she knows what she likes and she's not afraid to let you know when your not doing the right things.

My mistake on the Big Rapids school, I think that was offered through the Michigan Hydroplane Race associoation.

If anyone has any suggestions for clubs and such in the Wisconsin area let me know, I am much closer to central WI than lower MI and I have a feeling there are quite a few there,,,I just need to find them.

I will definitely give you a call.

Comment

The classics will be running at the Top O' Michigan race August 11th and 12th. That should be a bit closer for you. They run an abbreviated version of the course and it is a great way to get introduced to the sport, meet other racers, get information, and have a lot of fun!

Comment

Nice area, I'm jealous!
                    No worries on Big Rapids, it doesn't mean we still can't work something out to get you out there on the water for the weekend.
                    Badger State Outboard Association or BSOA is the Wisconsin club. Their closest race to you would be Oshkosh which will take place Labor Day weekend. After that, most of their races are in Southern Wisconsin (Pleasant Prairie, Pell Lake).
                    Elek Hutchinson
                    36M

Comment

Working...
                    X