Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to boat raicing, a few Q's...

Hello all,
    I recently attended a race put on by SLORA, and hope to make it to at least one or two more races this year. I attended quite a few as a teenager, and even got to drive a C-Stock once. I hope to learn as much as I can this summer and fall, and am going to try to get a boat together in the next year or so.
    My main questions are reguarding C-Stock and D-Stock classes, from what I understand those would be the least expensive to get into. I now weigh in at about 220 lbs. Would a C-stock be OK for me to start in or am I too big to be competitive in that class of a boat? How big of a step up is D-Stock, as far as cost, boat size/capacity, beginner friendliness, etc...
    Next, I'm unsure about motors... Is there a big difference in speed between the different motors? Yamato 80/102/302.... Merc/Tohatsu...? Also, would one advise to go with a Tohatsu or 302 because they are current production, or will a used motor like a merc still be OK... Unsure what to look for as I start looking around for used gear. Oh, and could one mount a C-Stock motor on a D-Stock boat? What would the result be?
    I was told that a C-stock boat, basically reay to go could be had for about $2500 or so.... What do you folks think I could get decent used gear for? Boats, motors, cart, etc... I will likely build a setup to haul the boat on my utility tailer atop a gear box... I will buy a new helmet to fit proper, but would not be against a used cutsuit... I'm abut 5'7", 36-38" waist, 30" inseam.
    I will hopefully be looking to get stuff starting this fall/winter, so if anyone can give me some ideas what to look for I'd appreciate it. Also, if I don't find a nice used boat, can someone please recommend a source for kits? I have already found Sorensen kits, but haven't found any similar complete kits, just plans... any input on the Sorensen "pocket money" c-stock kit would be great too...

Thanks to all who read my post, and kudos to any with input....

There are a couple of complete C-stock rigs for sale on this site for a great price. The 302 is the motor that is the motor of choice, still in production. the 80's are old and the 102's time has passed. 220lbs you will fit right in with the majority of guys.
    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

what would be a decent/avg. price on a used 302 if one could be had? also, 2000-2500 a decent price for a c-stock boat/motor set...? How much is a cutsuit? How much more would a D-stock setup run? I hope to meet the folks from Montana that make boats in Ione or the MT race later this summer, also, I may have a line on used stuff up the road just a few miles.... possibly even the boat I drove as a teen...LOL How long is the hull good for, provided it's kept in shop, not crashed, etc... anything to look out for buying used? should I make them run the motor, like with a hose for cooling water?

Comment

I believe 302's are about $2750.00 New from Rick Montoya or around that. But dont get me wrong...there are alot of 102's still out there. There are a ton of people out that way that will chime in on this post and help you out.
        sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

can a rebuilt and good running 102 compete with the newer motors? I am from an auto mechanics backgound, and know others who have 2 stroke experience, snowmobiles and motorcycles and such... Can 102 parts still be found easily?

Comment

sent you a pm... Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by SantaCreekRacing View Post
              what would be a decent/avg. price on a used 302 if one could be had? also, 2000-2500 a decent price for a c-stock boat/motor set...? How much is a cutsuit? How much more would a D-stock setup run? I hope to meet the folks from Montana that make boats in Ione or the MT race later this summer, also, I may have a line on used stuff up the road just a few miles.... possibly even the boat I drove as a teen...LOL How long is the hull good for, provided it's kept in shop, not crashed, etc... anything to look out for buying used? should I make them run the motor, like with a hose for cooling water?
              a NEW Dstock with a NEW Tohatsu will run you close to $10,000.............the best bang for your buck (and all newcomers) would definately be C stock with a NEW 302 ($2300 for the motor)........

you might find a DECENT USED DSH for $5000 or less with a Merc 44XS.........
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

From what I've gathered, reading, watching videos, at the races, I'm thinking I'll go C-Stock to start, unless I fall into the right used d-stock setup ready to go for the right $$

I'm thinking that I may look into getting a kit to build the boat hull if I don't find a nice used one... anyone have any recommendations? I'm going to look more into sorensen and montana race craft... still haven't been able to get ahold of the local guy that I know still has a few boats... I've got till winter to figure it out.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Comment

Santa....Talk about a good looking Hemp boat... Look at the thread that was post just now from dennis crews
                  sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Working...
                  X