First Good Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Good Look

I spent some time looking over the boat today. I plan on removing the controls and floorboard. I want to spruce up the finish on the interior of the boat and replace the floorboard. Some of the finish is flaking off, and I want to remove the old, and apply new. What finish is used? Generally the boat is in very good condition, but I think I may need to do a repair to a sponson tip. I don't know exactly what is going on, but I suspect I am going to need a source for marine lumber/materials. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anybody know if David Everhart is around?

Thanks,

The boat was sealed with West Systems epoxy....

Can you upload a picture of the sponson tip? Might be able to tell you how to fix it or get my dads input (as he built the boat)

Regards
    Craig Furnal
    Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Craig,
      Very nice of you to respond. The boat is really nicely built. Really pretty, and I am looking forward to learning more about it. I will furnish some pictures of the sponson. In short, on top, near the tip, it appears the paint/cloth(assuming it was covered) has delaminated. I cannot tell if the wood has gotten punky and released the paint/cloth. The forward part of the chine seem a little weak, and the vertical section of paint where the chine meets the deck of the center section is a little loose.

On the sponson bottom right near the tip, the wood is a little bare and has delaminated. A little further back, the expoxy has air pockets/bubbles.

I will get some pix too you shortly, and look forward to your input, and that of the builder.
      John Califf

Comment

Greetings,
        Attached are pictures of the sponson tip. I would like to know a little bit more before I open it up some more.
        Thanks,
        JCC
        Attached Files

Comment

Greetings,
          Attached are three pix of my right sponson, now opened up. The structure is very good, but I am going to need some help with getting the right materials. The sponson bottom is in very good shape except up near the tip. The decking on the sponson is soft as far aft as the line I cut in the finish. The inboard damage is more aft than the outboard damage. The chine, if that is the right term, is loose a little further aft. That seems easier to fix. Who can help me locate materials, glue, etc. Will try to dimension the deck thickness tomorrow.
          Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X