Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to powerboat racing

hello everyone @ HR,

My name is Steve, I live in N.E. Georgia U.S.A., I am new to these forums and powerboat racing. I've been around boats of some form most of my life. I and my adult son are interested in getting into powerboat racing in some manner (hopefully owner/me and driver/him) I have contacted the sanctioning bodies asking for info concerning local races, local clubs, and drivers in my area, I hope to talk to someone local about the right class for the area we live in, what boat builder is best, best engine to use etc., all to no avail. So here I am asking youse guys the same thing. My exact location is Hoschton, GA. which is 40 min. east of lake Sydney Lanier, and 1 HR. South of Lake Hartwell. Any GA. racers/builders/clubs out there I could glean from?

Regards

Steve Mac

Steve,
    Welcome, give me a call anytime, would be happy to help. I am in FLA East of Orlando right at Kennedy Space Center.

Howie Nichols

321-626-0666
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Steve,
      I live on Lake Hartwell, raced PRO for about 40 years. Contact billkurps@hughes.net with your questions.
      Bill

Comment

Steve,

There is a race coming up in Evans, GA on June 23 and 24 where you can meet racers from the region and elsewhere:

http://www.apba-racing.com/races/eva...j-classes-2846

By coming to this race, you will not only meet racers, but also see the classes that draw the most competitors in the southeast.

There are also some stock/mod racers in the Atlanta area:
        Tim Weber
        Mark O'Brien
        Herb Lamphear

These guys monitor HR and you can find them on the members list and send them a message to hook up with them.

Not to mention runabout boat builder Ralph DeSilva who lives there also.
        Tom Burwinkle
        11-K
        sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

Welcome

Hi Steve. Your post is the same way I got started about 8 years ago. Best idea is to make contact with any of the racers in the Atlanta area and come to a test sesion or better yet see a race in person like the one mentioned in Evans Ga next month. That way you can see the different classes and gather lots of info. We test on the upper end of Lanier by Murrayville/ Dahlonaga area and can always use an extra hand. We will be testing in the next couple weeks if you want to join in, usually a weekday so there is not too much boat traffic.
          Mark OB
          82F
          Mark O'Brien

Comment

Hey Steve. Welcome. Everyone here will be glad to help.

Do you know what class of boat racing you want to get into? There are hydros, tunnels, runabouts, etc.

I live in North Central Florida and race tunnels primarily. We have some hydros in the "barn" but focus mainly on Formula 1 and Formula Lights classes of racing.

Feel free to call me anytime.

Steve
            (352) 843-4625
            L22400@aol.com

Comment

thanks for everyones response!!

WoW,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help, I have never seen such a response. I can see this going to be a totally different racing experience from what I have had in the past. I had noticed the event at evans but didn't realise that that would be considered a local event for someone in N.E. GA. my son and I will be attending this race for sure!! I plan on contacting each one who has replied, again many many thanks. previous race experience has been Karting and Legends, in both racing areas everyone was very tight lipped and had their own little clique, where newcomers weren't always welcomed openly, not the case I have seen here. We were leaning towards the hydros, but i'll leave that open until after we attend the race at Evens,GA. and I have had the oportunity to converse with more racers one on one. One of the most frutrating things in racing is to travel some distance to race only to find out you're the only one to show up for a particular class. So I plan on being slow and methodical.

Steve Mac

Mark O'Brien,
              thanks for the invite I would really enjoy coming to one of your testing sessions. email me or
              send a pm with date time and location.
              Last edited by mcconns; 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Check this out

Originally posted by mcconns View Post
                hello everyone @ HR,

My name is Steve, I live in N.E. Georgia U.S.A., I am new to these forums and powerboat racing. I've been around boats of some form most of my life. I and my adult son are interested in getting into powerboat racing in some manner (hopefully owner/me and driver/him) I have contacted the sanctioning bodies asking for info concerning local races, local clubs, and drivers in my area, I hope to talk to someone local about the right class for the area we live in, what boat builder is best, best engine to use etc., all to no avail. So here I am asking youse guys the same thing. My exact location is Hoschton, GA. which is 40 min. east of lake Sydney Lanier, and 1 HR. South of Lake Hartwell. Any GA. racers/builders/clubs out there I could glean from?

Regards

Steve Mac
                Steve did you check out the APBA site? Please do and provide feedback as it relates to helping out a new person looking in. http://www.apba-racing.com/

While GA and MI are a few miles away, we have lots of fun up here racing. Take a few minutes and check out our content at:
                www.michiganhydroplane.com
                MichiganHydroplaneTV You-Tube channel
                Michigan Hydroplane on Facebook
                and if you would like to contact our club offically send us a note at MichiganHydroplane@gmail.com
                Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

Raymond,

Thanks for the info,actually I have had your website bookmarked for sometime now, Great Site!! Really enjoyed the videos

Steve Mac

Comment

Steve,Welcome to hydroracer.You will not find a better bunch of people than boat racers.When i first started back in 87 i was looking for some props and didnt know anyone.A guy sent me $2500.00 worth of props to test and he said Keep the ones that work and send the rest back and we can talk price later.That guy was Bob Wartinger a many time world record holder and the fastest man in the world with an outboard.That is the kind of people that are boat racers one big family.Good luck with your racing career and be safe.Bob
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by mcconns View Post
                      WoW,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help, I have never seen such a response. I can see this going to be a totally different racing experience from what I have had in the past. I had noticed the event at evans but didn't realise that that would be considered a local event for someone in N.E. GA. my son and I will be attending this race for sure!! I plan on contacting each one who has replied, again many many thanks. previous race experience has been Karting and Legends, in both racing areas everyone was very tight lipped and had their own little clique, where newcomers weren't always welcomed openly, not the case I have seen here. We were leaning towards the hydros, but i'll leave that open until after we attend the race at Evens,GA. and I have had the oportunity to converse with more racers one on one. One of the most frutrating things in racing is to travel some distance to race only to find out you're the only one to show up for a particular class. So I plan on being slow and methodical.

Steve Mac

Mark O'Brien,
                      thanks for the invite I would really enjoy coming to one of your testing sessions. email me or
                      send a pm with date time and location.
                      Email sent
                      82F
                      Mark O'Brien

Comment

Working...
                      X