What did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do?

Attached is a pix of a boat I bought. Does anybody know this boat? What class if any did it race in? With a Mark 25, what will it do?
    Attached Files

Lake racer

The set up you have should run abour 40 mph. It is not set up for racing, you could get a 102 or 302 Yamato and race several classes . Be careful if you use this a "lake racer" it would be very easy to stuff this in a boat wake.

Comment

Thanks, slow and steady is the plan. I also have a KH7, for the resevoir near my house, which has a 10hp limit. Someday, I May go racing...

Crewed an unlimited years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by UThree View Post
        Thanks, slow and steady is the plan. I also have a KH7, for the resevoir near my house, which has a 10hp limit. Someday, I May go racing...

Crewed an unlimited years ago...
        When driving a hydro in regular water.. boat wakes & the like there's several things Ive learned: don't jump em on purpose! LoLs If you come upon some at speed let off the gas, hang on. Best to stay alert & dump speed before going thru them. Thing is you could jump 1 w/o much of a problem but the sets of 3-5 become unpredictable. Been thru several hard multi-bangs wondering just how strong those sponsons are. On the good side tho with a fishing-sport version of MK25 you should get 40 or a little more with a good prop, setup & accelerate better than with a race lower With an AB race lower you could get to the low 50's. It should be lots of fun. If you get a Yamato it'll be seriously fast Good Luck.
        Team Tower

Comment

You should get the owners' manual

If I were you, I would contact JohnDeere for an owners' manual on
          a model "17-Z" and get the local Mercury dealer to get you a Mark25 manual as well... Everything you need should be in the manuals!??

Comment

Yael, right?

Comment

It's a mid 80's Flyer.

Saw it on ebay awhile back and was able to determine what it was.
              Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Race It

If that is a Flyer, I think it is still a competitive boat. They built some incredible boats in their time. I have seen older boats than that racing. Not sure on the size yours is, but from the pics, it looks to be a good two cyl engine size boat. B or C, or 25, not sure.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Region 4

I believe that is the ole John Deere boat that use to be Wayne Hagathaw's boat in the late 80's/early 90's............

He is a farmer in the Carolina's and had his trailer and boats all painted John Deere green!!.....

He now runs Inboard's.......

Comment

Thanks for all the great information. I might get the boat in the resevoir within in month, probably with KH7 and speed prop. Will report back. Might go to Dayton this weekend, or Huntington, IN on the 8th/9th
                    Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by 25xs View Post
                      If I were you, I would contact JohnDeere for an owners' manual on
                      a model "17-Z" and get the local Mercury dealer to get you a Mark25 manual as well... Everything you need should be in the manuals!??

Comment

nothing runs like a deer!

Comment

Measure the boat and I will check it against my Flyer that is a class D

Comment

Looks' like fun. Just a few things I wonder about. Gas tank where the dash should be, hand throttle where my butt should be, outside steering cables and a tiller? Im game for a ride , have fun!!

Comment

Syd,
                              Hope to get the garage, nka as Boat Shop, organized within several days, and will take some measurements. One dimension I do have is that it is a little over 11 feet long. I believe the space between the chines on the bottom is about 35 inches.

Sorry the Boat Shop made no progress. We went to Dayton to watch some testing. Boats getting aired out, my son was totally intrigued. Might need two boats.

I think running it on the resevoir with the KH7, a Merc Super 10, with a speed prop, is going to be a good thing until I get the rig, trailer, etc. Within a mile of the house.

The Ohio DNR is not going to like this, but the resevoir is bigger than where they run limited inboards in Dayton.

I will have to take a little look under the paint on one of the sponsons, but the boat appears to be well-made, and in pretty good shape.

Needs a skid fin.

Stay tuned....

Comment

Working...
                              X