First Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Experiences

Saw the great posts and just like to add my comments as a rookie driver for those thinking about entering the sport.

First - find a local club and start asking questions... you'll find the members extremely friendly and more than willing to give you opinions and recommendations on A to Z - listen to them, there is no substitution for experience!

Next - when looking for that first boat, give some thought to what you want and try to temper that with your budget. At first I was thinking of spending $$$ and buying a truly competetive boat and motor set up - but took some sage advice and purchased a key-ready budget set up to build up my driving experience. Definitely the right choice for me. In my opinion, much better to start in a budget boat, get some seat time to build one's driving skills, and then figuring out what type of hull / motor set up that best suits you. I hate to think if I had purchased a premium boat set up only to find that I wasn't comfortable with the boat...

Now for the first race - don't be shy, go out as ask for assistance - I found that folks were more than willing to help out. I learnt so much from everyone at Cullaby on all aspects of setting up the boat - fuel mixture setting (42 clicks), engine set-up/tuck, ensuring throttle and steering set up correctly, turn fin set up - and since I didn't have a pit crew, folks willing to wade in and help get me out on the water.

I would like to reiterate what I saw in other newbie posts - don't worry about being competetive in the first few races - get out there and get familiar with your boat. WIth me, it was the unknown that initially spooked me... how the boat will handle, and how to read the feedback from the boat. Every boat handles a bit differently (so I am told), and you need to get the feel of your boat down. On my first downwind straightaway, my boat suddenly rolled onto its left sponsor - really woke me up... back in the pits I described what I experienced and folks helped me adjust my turn fin and engine set up - no more problems after that! Turning the boat takes some getting use to -moving forward and leaning out of the cockpit doesn't come naturally but you'll get use to it - and as you get your movement down, you'll notice a definite improvement in the turns. And always pay attention to the other boats - stay to the outside and try not to interfer with them - just get use to how your boat handles and build your confidence. In retrospect - if you have an opportunity to get out and test your new boat prior to a race, would highly recommend it (providing you have experienced folks out there to help set up) - but if not, folks at the race will ALWAYS assist with a smile!

The more heats I ran, the more comfortable I got with the boat and was able to push it more in the corners... and the more experience I had out on course, the faster I wanted to go! It is a total blast - but the best is the comradery that you will find in the racing community. I definitely appreciate all the support I received out there in Cullaby last weekend and prior to that - my hat is off to Dale Bartley, Patrick Gleason, Dave Sullivan, the Andersons, Mike Permann, and a host of others that helped this ignorant rookie get out on the water (and back) safely - thanks all, I truly appreciate the support!

Shane

Good to hear, Shane. I think you find the same kind of help anywhere you go in Stock/Mod boat racing. Probably the most important advice that you mentioned, to other new drivers is, not to be shy. It's difficult among strangers for new people but important. You are welcome and we all want you to stick around for a while.
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Very good

Comment

Thanks

Shane,
        Thanks for sharing your experience, I am a newbie and have never been to a race much less race but now have a boat and motor and your 100% correct on the kindness and offerings of help from the racers in this sport. Never seen so many people willing to help and friendly. Just getting mine setup and it's great having a resource of experience and knowledge from veterians of this sport.
        Rodney

Comment

Working...
        X