Some general newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some general newbie questions

Background: I live in Northern California (Sonoma County) and have Raced Motocross, shifter karts and Road Raced in 250 production class. I am in my 40's and my weight is 180ish. I have been looking at hydro racing as my next adrenaline fix.

Questions:
    I found a J class picklefork but couldn't find info on whether it would be legal to move into other classes with a motor swap and don't want to buy a boat twice.
    Is it possible to run this boat in other classes or is it J class specific due to weight, size, or build design?

Looking at the region 11 site http://apba.boatracingr11.com/ there doesn't seem to be much activity, nothing on the calendar for 2011.
    Has it died out in this area?

I have a lot of info to take in and I know "search" is my friend but those are my current unanswered questions.

Thanks
    Robert
    If someone is local and wants to fill me in feel free to call.
    7O7twonineone6558

Robert:
    To answer your question about the J hydro, yes, you can run this boat in 5 classes. (Forgive the acronyms, but you have JH, AXSH, ASH, 200ccMH, KPH) Unfortunately for you, being 180 pounds puts you into a tough spot with this hull. Typically, a J boat is the same as an A stock hydro and the motors available are about 15 horsepower. Drivers in the A classes typically range from 135 to 160 pounds. Being about 180, you would have a serious power to weight disadvantage.

I would recommend a C class hydro. These use a Yamato 80/102/302 model, or a Sidewinder 20. Power range is about 20 to 30 horsepower and much more comfortable for a driver of 180 pounds. Also, the boat is about 10' whereas the J boat is around 8'. Using a "C" motor on an "A" boat is inadvisable.

I have many references in your area that would be most helpful for you. I'll attach a private message with contact information.

Kyle
    28-R

Comment

I agree with Kyle that the C class would be a better fit. If you go that way with a 302 Yamato you can run in three classes. The 20SSH, CSH and many step up to C mod.
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

And OSY with the Y302 .

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Welcome

Robert,
          Welcome to the site 1st off. Second welcome to region 11. There are alot of us from region 11 on here that frequent the site daily so Im sure you will get plenty of responses. I will PM you my contact info as well.

Todd

Comment

Region 11

Welcome Robert, There are many racers in the greater Bay Area that will be more than willing to help and advise you. Check our Region 11 web site for a list of races, clubs, and Region officers. www.boatracingr11.com. Check also www.stockoutboard.net for additional info.

Feel free to call me for more info,
            925 933 5353 eve.

Comment

Welcome. Like mentioned above, with your weight i recomend a C class rig.

Heres one for sale up in your neck of the woods. This is a very good rig. You would want to get it with the Yamato 102. The guy selling it is and races in R11.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19700

Comment

Hi and welcome, Here's the 2011 tentative schedule for
                Region 11:
                -April 30-May 1 Minden CA
                -May 14-15 Copperopolis CA
                -June 11-12 Oroville CA
                -July 2-3 Chowchilla CA
                -September 10-11 Copperopolis CA
                -October 15-16 Minden CA

Not sure why the region11 website doesn't have it posted yet.

I'll give you a call. I'm a half hour from Sonoma, in Marin.
                93-C

Comment

Well because it was tentative. We did not approve the schedule until the Region meeting two weeks ago. Will get it posted soon.
                  Robert, come to the Lake Minden race and race a Nor Cal boat. Lake Minden is about twenty miles north of Sacramento off hwy 99.
                  bill b

Comment

Thanks for all the calls and posts.
                    I was just looking at Minden on Google maps and it isn't that far away. I left a message for Kenn Christie for info on the Nor Cal boat rentals it definitely looks like the way to go.

Thanks again,
                    Robert

Comment

I feel like I should warn you muddy...

Once you try this there's a very good chance you'll be hooked for life. Here I sit 13 years and 10 boats later to testify that it's by far the best addiction I've ever had. Consider yourself warned, and welcome aboard Robert
                      Moby Grape Racing
                      "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Working...
                      X