No announcement yet.

New guy looking to get in to the sport.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy looking to get in to the sport.

New Guy here from MD. I have been trying to search a Club in MD but i cant seem to find a website.

Im looking to maybe get in to some a stock hydroplane racing. I belive the class i would be looking at is the C class. Thats the Yamoto class i think.

Info on these classes is a but hard to find if you dont know where to look.

what is the major diffrence in classes A and C. it looks like only diffrence is the engine?

Class A is the johnson 15ss?

Class C is the Yamoto 302?

If that is the biggest diffrence then what class is better for a beginner. and more affordable.

Thanks in Advance.

I guess i will put this out there as well. I would be looking to piece together a rig to start racing.

Carolina-Virginia Racing Association. Hang around and Abby Pond should surface and provide you with contact info. Can't get to my contact list since my desk is two feet deep in tax stuff and monstrous Federal documents related to the creation of an Airport Emergency Response Plan.

Main diff in C and A is all up weight. Svelte folks can race A, beefy frames go for C.
    carpetbagger

Comment

Where in MD.?
      Dave 4Q

Comment

He is welcome to attend the Region 4 Spring Meeting on the morning of Feb 19 in Newport News

Comment

I Live In laurel, And I work in Millersville.

So i weigh about 170 lbs just an FYI. from what i have seen it looks like i might fit the A Class???

Any help will be would be great. I have been looking through the rules but some of the stuff i dont understand. There are alot of acronyms.

I am familiar with rules like this, I am coming from the car racing world. I used to Heads up Race Drag cars. in a Limited class called Factory Stock. However i am VERY NEW to boat racing. I dont know anyone who does it.

Thanks Guys
          Eric

Comment

Eric,

The 'A'classes range from 53-57 mph. The runabout around 54 mph...the hydro class 57-58mph.

You can run either the older OMC engine or the newly produced Sidewinder.
            Minimum weight in A Runabout is 350lbs. That is driver plus boat/engine. The min. weight in ASH is 345.

In 'C' class...the runabout goes about 64 mph the hydro about 68 mph. CSR weight escapes me right now...I believe around 470. I know for sure CSH weight is 440lbs.

The Yamato 302 is the currently produced engine. In stock and ready to run.
            You can also run the out of production Yamato 102.

Get in touch with Matt D'agostino. He lives in Maryland and is a member on this website. Been around forever. Will point you in right direction for getting equipment. Also, check out apba-racing.com for more info/membership info.

My father is a dealer for safety gear. Helmets, life jackets, kevlar, etc...
            Carl Holt. 330-536-8942. Lives in Ohio. Can get everything you need.

Good luck.

Again...send a message to Matt D'agostino on this site.

Dana

Comment

Welcome your going to have a great time :-) Sam and I both live in Maryland along with the Augustine Klan and the D'agostino family. Anything we can do please feel free to ask.
              Last edited by HRTV; 02-06-2011, 07:34 AM.
              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by wicked 4.6 View Post

Im looking to maybe get in to some a stock hydroplane racing. I belive the class i would be looking at is the C class. Thats the Yamoto class i think.

Info on these classes is a but hard to find if you dont know where to look.
                Look at the top of this page at the tool bar, and click on search...
                You will find some great information in the archives, should keep you busy for a while.

I chose C Stock Hydro, because I thought it was more friendly to inexperience. Having had a few races now, I think that's true.

Comment

It looks like the C stock boats are more available as far as the used market is concerned. How about the engines? Whats the best way to go about getting one? Look for a used unit or purchase new?

I very open to all suggestions. i would like to keep my budget low to make sure i will enjoy this type of racing being i have never done it before. Thanks for all the help fellas

Comment

It looks like the C stock boats are more available as far as the used market is concerned. How about the engines? Whats the best way to go about getting one? Look for a used unit or purchase new?

I very open to all suggestions. i would like to keep my budget low to make sure i will enjoy this type of racing being i have never done it before. Thanks for all the help fellas
                    You could go either way. You can purchase a new (raced on year in Japan, then exported to the USA) one from Ric Montoya http://yamatoracing.net/ for just over $2000. Keep in mind you need to have some work done to the gearfoot (propshaft changed to 9/16" and shaping: cost approx. $250), and it would be suggested you have the head shaved to close to min spec to be competetive (approx. $50). I think you can have Ric do these for you and then shipped to you with a race ready motor for approx. $2500.

If you get to know some folks in a club near you I'm sure you can find someone to help you out finding some used equipment as well. My first boat cost me under $1000, I bought a Yamato 80 to start with at $1500 and raced it my first year. Its a good way to get your feet wet.
                    Sean Byrne

Comment

Post your name, address, email and phone number so someone in your area can contact you.
                      !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Call me..........

I am in Laurel as i type..............Matt Dagostino, 301-318-4259.

GW Rouch lives in Millersville where you work and races 20ssh and MOD's. Both of us can assist you. Also, Big Dave Augustine lives in Laurel off Old Line Road by The Corridor liquor store!! I imagine you know where that shopping center is!!

Anyway, all you got to do is call and we will point you in the right direction. Sounds like you might fit well in a 20ssh/CSH outfit.

Matt

Comment

This is great. Just make 1 simple post and i have people stepping up to offer help!!

I think i will really enjoy taking part of this. so the 20sst is like the C Stock? What engines are permitted to run?

Comment

This is great. Just make 1 simple post and i have people stepping up to offer help!!

I think i will really enjoy taking part of this. so the 20sst is like the C Stock? What engines are permitted to run?
                            Your best bet is to get a 302. No points to mess with and with a restrictor plate you can run both classes 20SSH and CSH. More bang for the buck with the same boat. Being new you need lots of seat time or in this case knee time.
                            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

CSH for sale

I'd get with Paul Price quickly......he has a nice rig for sale. It's listed in the sale section.

Comment

Working...
                              X