Top O' Michigan - A New Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top O' Michigan - A New Experience

I was up at the Top O this year to run in the "Classic" (or at least try for the second year in a row) and I was blown away by not just the racing, but the people involved in the sport. I've been in and around sports my entire life, but nothing compares to the sportsmanship and just plain friendliness that I experienced over the weekend. I would like to thank Mike Marshall, Ian Duggan, Jack Stotts, and Mike Ross for all the help and advice I got (not to mention all the other people that offered their help and I didn't catch/remember their name). I know that outboard racing and boat racing in general struggles to gain new participants, but it isn't from a lack of effort. It would take me too long to tell you the lengths that the people mentioned above went through just to get me running in the CLASSIC (not the full marathon). I can't thank you all enough. I hope to someday run the full. If you are reading this and think you might be interested in outboard racing, get out to a race and experience what I did. I didn't find a single person that wasn't willing to help out the person next to them. A million thanks!!!

Sincerely,
    Hal LeDuc

Classic?

I am familiar with Top 'o, but what is the classic? Is is a shorter version of the same marathon?

Comment

The Classic at Top O'

The classic is a shortened course run at the Top O' Michigan Race. It starts at Devoe Beach like the full marathon. We run Indian River and then across Mullett Lake to the Breakers Bar and then back to Devoe Beach. We run that course on both Saturday and Sunday. It is about 12 miles each run (24 miles over the two days). One of the stipulations is that your equipment must be 25 years or older. It is a lot of fun and a great way to get introduced to the full race. If you have older equipment you have to come and do it. It is a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
      X