Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another new one - questions about getting started in No Cal

Afternoon all

been poking around here most of the day trying to come up to speed, seen a few posts asking for age/height/weight so thought I'd open with that: 51 years young living in the foothills about 2 hours east of Oakland. 6'3" and a portly 235 these days, 215 is probably my optimum

Used to roadrace motorcycles in the 90's (Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Willow Springs, Portland, etc -- think full leathers at 120mph with one knee down on a road coarse) and I am an admitted adrenaline junkie. Still searching for the buzz that roadracing used to give me. have considered shifter karts but never pulled the trigger, learned to fly but no adrenaline high there. took up tournament bass fishing for the competitive side but, while I am wiped at the end of the day, competitive fishing is an old mans sport. I have an 91 cajun 16' fiberglass bass boat with a 60hp hydraulic trim shortshaft Johnson on the transom that tops out at 41 on the gps that I cruise around the waterways in the California Delta.

so last week I decided that I needed a new toy, something to scare myself with and started hunting around on craigslist for an old jet boat - amazing how cheap they are to buy but how expensive to operate. But the reality is that I have no place to store a 21' jet boat without my girl killing me first. Then I learn that outboards are lighter and faster and less expensive to run. Nice, I'm a two stroke guy, have rebuilt my share of ring ding motors on race and dirt bikes. Outboard should come in a smaller hull, maybe I can justify it.... So I start hunting around for a cool looking outboard that I can buy for cheap and turn into somewhat of a project. Lots of the vintage stuff catches my eye. I see hydros and pickles that I can build myself - excellent. Love woodworking, have a garage full of old DeWalt radial arm saws, some vintage Crapsman band saws, a drill press, and a few skilsaws laying around. I can lay fiberglass.

Then I see what you guys are doing - it seems my illness has returned and I find myself sliding down the slippery slope... Much smaller hull, but bigger thrills - winner

So where is a good place for me to start? So much to learn. What sort of classes are good for a "man of larger carriage", can I build my own boat but not using those plans from the 50's? Not looking to try to win right away, but do some hard racing from the back of the pack with the other backmarkers. Possible to build out as you go to help keep initial costs down? Rather sit than kneel but open to both. Used to love the 4 hour endurance races in roadracing. there was a post here that I found that had a series of questions for the noob to help y'all here guide them into things correctly, but for the life of me I can't find it. Looking forward to seeing if there is a fit for me here in your world

thanks!

Mike
    Sonora, CA
    Last edited by sonoramike; 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM. Reason: words are good

Nor-Cal 400

Hello Mike,

Call Darrell Sorensen at 559-665-2690, he is in Chowchilla, Ca.

The Nor-Cal 400 class is for guys starting out and you "rent" the boats for the races. Darrell will tell you all about it.

You can also go to www.boatracingr11.com. This is the Northern California web site.

There is a race at Isleton, Ca. on Oct. 3rd and 4th. OPC Tunnel Boats.

They also race at Salt Springs, which is close to you.

The Stock Outboard Nationals will be at Oroville in 2010.

Good Luck.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Mike,
      We race we race outboards several times a year at Salt Springs Valley Res. between Copperopolis & Milton in your area. We were to race there this weekend, but was cancelled due to low water. The last 2 races for the season are at Isleton Oct. 3-4 (tunnels & Cracker Box only) and Nicolaus Ca Oct 17-18 (also includes kneelers).
      The C Stock Runabout class would fit the bill for someone your weight. Here some websites for you to check out.
      Sorensen Woodcraft (my site) http://www.boatracingr11.com/sorensenmain
      APBA Region 11 http://apba.boatracingr11.com/
      Top O' Michigan Marathon http://www.irmi.org/boat.htm http://www.mich-web.com/top-o-mich/ This is my favorite race.

Darrell Sorensen
      Chowchilla CA 559-665-2690

Comment

I would like to say you have already made a good decision by coming to this web site. Ask all the questions you want and you will get a lot of good help right here.

Welcome aboard! This sport is a blast and you won't go wrong.
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          I would like to say you have already made a good decision by coming to this web site.
          I'll second that.

Also as has already been posted, Darrell Sorensen is going to be the best source of information for the area you are in. A lot of us can answer specific questions about boats or motors but not all of us (myself included) know what classes are raced in your area. You want to make sure that you choose a class with plenty of participants.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Man, what a day, my head is spinning with all the info but I'm much further along now that I was 5 hours ago. Didn't realize that the motors, for the most part, are so small in displacement. Think I'm going to try to give the CSH hydro classes a go, they seem well populated and I'm fully enamored with the style/technology of the hull - that and my ego can handle the bruising that is sure to be delivered in my first races.

But for now I'm going to go with the NorCal 400 program to get my feet wet. Talked with Darrell for a few minutes moments after he posted here earlier. Apparently something might be in the works for Salt Springs this weekend which is about 30 minutes from me.

Hoping to "eat the elephant in small bites", have a lot to learn and the NC400 program seems like a perfect low cost low risk way for me to get my feet wet and see if I like this kind of racing.

If anybody in the area is doing a test day with their boat and needs a hand please drop a line, would love to come out and help/watch/support/wrench.

Comment

You have the right attitude, Start at the bottom and work your way up Most areas don't have a program like the Norcal 400. You can try it out before you commit the big bucks, CSH is a good bet just about anywhere in the US.
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Hi Mike I'm going to be at Salts Springs Res. on Sat. We are going to be having a fun kind
                of test day and their should be several different boats their so you can get an idea of what you might like to drive.I drive in the Stock and Mod runabout category and it is a great ride and a lot of fun. Our Nor Cal program is a great way to get started, and from
                their you only get to go faster. I hope to see you at Salt Springs.

Mark 326-C

Comment

Originally posted by markt326c View Post
                  Hi Mike I'm going to be at Salts Springs Res. on Sat. We are going to be having a fun kind
                  of test day and their should be several different boats their so you can get an idea of what you might like to drive.I drive in the Stock and Mod runabout category and it is a great ride and a lot of fun. Our Nor Cal program is a great way to get started, and from
                  their you only get to go faster. I hope to see you at Salt Springs.

Mark 326-C
                  Mark

you still heading out to out Salt Springs for a test day? trying to plan my Sat and want to come out if this is a go

anybody else coming out?

Mike

Comment

I'm planning on being their by 10:30 Saturday morning. I will be calling a few people Friday that said they were going to be their

Mark 326-C

Comment

had a great time out at Salt Springs today with Mark, he was nice enough to put up with my endless questions and let me look all his stuff over. Thanks bud, had a great time. How'd the changes work out, any progress?

Comment

Working...
                      X