Which gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gas

So im very new to the sport and was looking to find out which is the best gas to run in my *102* i was told just every day 87 from Chevron will work fine but is there a better gas ?

Steve A

CMH. 61R
    Short Fuze Racing
    Team Darneille
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
    IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

87 is plenty

Not sure what you might mean by "better". The bottom line is that stock motors do not have high enough compression to need higher octane fuel. The most important issue is to use gas that does not have ethanol blended in to screw up the air/fuel ratio and burn the motor down.

Comment

Try this Steve

I agree with the last poster, low octane regular gas works great in these engines. In Washington there is mandatory oxygenation in the fuels used for cars. We have been able to get around this so far by running marine gas. Check here http://www.seattleoutboard.org/ for a list of suppliers in the Seattle area. By the way all region 10 racers, there will be be NO fuel of the day at the Silver Lake Eatonville race, so check the list and go get some gas at one of these places.
      Moby Grape Racing
      "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Originally posted by propnuts View Post
        I agree with the last poster, low octane regular gas works great in these engines. In Washington there is mandatory oxygenation in the fuels used for cars. We have been able to get around this so far by running marine gas. Check here http://www.seattleoutboard.org/ for a list of suppliers in the Seattle area. By the way all region 10 racers, there will be be NO fuel of the day at the Silver Lake Eatonville race, so check the list and go get some gas at one of these places.
        Yes propnuts i first noticed it at costco which never had ethonol and had heard people talking about some where to get it without so thats great info thanks .

PS; why is it NO fuel of the day at silver lake ?

Brad.

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

NO fuel of the day

Because the times we have used fuel of the day (FOD) this year the fuels have beeen testing at +60 to +80 and beyond. Since the stuff we buy from Morrison tests at -40 to -60 I believe that range between FOD and legal fuel leaves too much room for fiddling (not that anyone around here would). Since we were able to run divisionals with everyone having legal fuel, and we have a list of sources for legal fuel, I think we can run all our races that way. It is an inconvenience, but such is life in 2009.
          Moby Grape Racing
          "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Working...
          X