Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Eager To Learn

Hello All, new guy here.

Thanks to a friend of mine who lead me to the MHRA Racer School and Never Ever Raced Program, I have been infected with the desire to go racing. Thanks Tom. I am interested in the stock outboard classes for starters and looking for all the info I can get my hands on. Sourcing equipment is a little intimidating; economy is down and budgets tight but I still want in. I have above average mechanical and woodworking knowledge and years of general boating experience. Oh, yea, I am more the crew chief type; my 16 year old son will be the driver.

One of the options I am considering is building my own boat. I see a few places out there that sell plans and some even sell kits (Sorensen and Fralick to name two). I think at this point I may be most interested in building from a kit over strictly from a set of plans

If you have any leads or tips for me, please pass them along. A sampling of some of the questions I have include

* Is there a ball park that a competitive ASH should weigh rigged out minus fuel and motor?
    * Besides the gear case, exactly what is the difference between the true stock motors (OMC & Merc) and the stock motors run in competition.
    * Are the gear cases used all of the same make? If so who?
    * Is buying and converting a fishing motor a viable and cost effective option?

Has anyone ever chronicled a build that they would not mind sharing? I think it would be interesting to follow along with others as they go from planning to a complete rigged boat, from framing and skinning to motor selection and set up.

Raymond
    Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

* Is there a ball park that a competitive ASH should weigh rigged out minus fuel and motor?

Having considered building a boat with my daughter, and knowing that you are allowed 345 lbs, I would weigh your gear, engine, and all the riggings first so you know what you have to play with.

* Besides the gear case, exactly what is the difference between the true stock motors (OMC & Merc) and the stock motors run in competition.

Most of them are blue printed and there are tolerances that work better than others. For example, one would think the a smaller amount of cc's in the combustion chamber would make a hotter motor....Ed Runne told me the hottest A motors actually had a few more cc's. Dont quote me but I think you are allowed 18, and he said the motors with 21cc's seemed to be winning more. Just one example, there are many more.

You are best to find a good builder and let them do what they learned over the past two decades.

* Are the gear cases used all of the same make? If so who?

Yes, available used, or through Racing Outboards LLC, advertised on this site.
    * Is buying and converting a fishing motor a viable and cost effective option?

Has anyone ever chronicled a build that they would not mind sharing?

Good luck with that. Few people will give up their coveted secrets.

I think it would be interesting to follow along with others as they go from planning to a complete rigged boat, from framing and skinning to motor selection and set up.

There are a number of step by step builds in pictures on this site.

Good luck!
    Raymond[/QUOTE]
    Bill Schwab
    Miss KTDoodle #62C
    -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Raymond, Click on the Hulls and Hardware list, You will see a bunch of people in your area that build boats/motors ect. Scroll threw some past threads and see whats available. Good luck and you will find a ton of people that will help you out
      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Raymond, I don't know much about ASH since we have no feather weight folks in this family but I will tell you that I built a Sorensen kit for our first year and it was not hard to do. The kit included the glue, wood and fasteners. You just take your time and follow the DVR and instruction book. Darrell will help you when needed and can also supply you with the necessary hardware.

If you want to build from scratch then check out MJR for some great plans. I don't know if Marc has plans for an ASH but give him a call. He has an ad on this site.

For our CSH the kit with all of the hardware was about $1,600 plus shipping and it kept me out of trouble all winter.

No matter what you decide to do this site is the place to get a lot of info to get started. Folks will help you anyway they can.

And then of course go to some races and you will learn even more about set up, props and the list goes on. It is a lot of fun and everbody becomes an extended family. Good luck
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

MHRA help

Hey Ray,

Give me a call, all the MHRA crew will help you through all those questions. We know the sport is challenging for someone coming in with no experience. We can get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
          Dean Sutherland
          MHRA Commodore

Comment

Buy a Sidewinder A if you have the ability to do so. http://www.racingoutboards.com/

New, out of the box, ready to race.

Comment

Battle Creek

Ray,

I am in Battle Crrek,a bout 20 minutes from you. I build many boats. Should you need a little hands on demo, let me know, I will be happy to help you out. I have sources locally for most of the materials needed, and can help you with obtaining West System, Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass, Okumme Plywood, Sitka Spruce and sometimes Obeechee for your building needs.

It is a very inexpensive way to get into boat racing, even if you have no skills as a boat builder. The plans MJR sells has a very detailed instruction manual that comes with the plans. I have built a few of his boats and a few of my own design.

If you buy a kit boat such as Sorenson the DVD he sends along with it is decent instruction. Being your first time building I am sure you will still have questions, as I had many my first time.

Sam Hemp also sells kit boats, not sure on availablilty. He was at the Constantine race you were at, as was I. I was the one in the purple shirt at the boat ramp.

You will find no shortage of help in the boat racing world.

If you want to build a very light weight ASH I can help you on some pointers working with composits. I have a vac*** table to lay panels up, etc.

At any rate, let me know should you need assistance, I am happy to help out as well.

I know of a A stock motor that will be available for sale soon in Battle Creek.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Raymond,

I'm in Kalamazoo. Send me an email at wheeler@wmich.edu. I should be able to help you.

Mark Wheeler

Comment

A Stock Motors

Originally posted by DougMc View Post
                  Buy a Sidewinder A if you have the ability to do so. http://www.racingoutboards.com/

New, out of the box, ready to race.
                  Hello Ray,

The Sidewinder A motor will most likely be the motor of choice for the future.

However, wait until after the APBA National Meeting to make a decision. That
                  way you will know what the future is.

All the motors for A Stock use the same gear foot, (14:19 gear ratio).

Get lots of info from different people and then sort it out for yourself.

Welcome to the sport and best of luck. I have been in the sport since 1962.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses to my posting. I appreciate your time and offers of assistance. I am very excited to get involved in this sport and look forward to participating and contributing.

Raymond
                    Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

Raymond,

Nice to have you on board at hydroracer.net. Welcome to the family!

Teresa

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Sorensen DVD

Ray,

Sorensen Woodcraft sells a DVD of the construction of a C boat, from jig to ribs to scarf joint to finish. Pretty cool to watch.

I bought one last year when I was looking for information.

If you would like to have it, send me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X