new old rookie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new old rookie.

Id been a wannabe for a long time. Got alot to learn & some changes to make. I went into CSH with an older boat, [was only 6lbs over tho] and was slightly deep & tucked just a tad more than my boat would normally run. My foot could use a streamlining & different prop testing wouldnt hurt. My 102 ran well.
    Things I know of I did wrong..
    1st race, I blew the start badly, even tho I was supposed to run last I coulda been a closer last just by having been there.
    Im riding too high & need to loosen up A few weeks before next time.
    2nd race, I broke the shear pin from over tightening & scratched [my bad]
    3rd race, I forgot my knee cushion, I pulled my kill switch out flippin my facesheid down & needed a rescue [Thanks Rich, Gary & the guys who were climbing out on the paddleboat to try & help] aaand suddenly realized that I needed water. Luckily I had time to get restarted & go. That was the tuff-est of the 3 heats.
    4th race, I got a drink & my cushion, tore a chunk off my cushion & stuft it in my helmet top & had my best heat. The helmet wasnt bobbling down over my eyes in the turns, I got a little closer to the pack & kept them in sight the whole heat.
    I knew riding with the real racers would be humbling, its easy to ride around & go fast for fun but to burn around turns as hard as ya can & dare while how well or not you accomplish this counts -alot- isnt. My plan was to go long & wide & hang back. Turned out that 'hangin back' was really more like 'left in the spray'. Outsider
    Team Tower

Originally posted by johnsonm50 View Post
    Id been a wannabe for a long time. Got alot to learn & some changes to make. I went into CSH with an older boat, [was only 6lbs over tho] and was slightly deep & tucked just a tad more than my boat would normally run. My foot could use a streamlining & different prop testing wouldnt hurt. My 102 ran well.
    Things I know of I did wrong..
    1st race, I blew the start badly, even tho I was supposed to run last I coulda been a closer last just by having been there.
    Im riding too high & need to loosen up A few weeks before next time.
    2nd race, I broke the shear pin from over tightening & scratched [my bad]
    3rd race, I forgot my knee cushion, I pulled my kill switch out flippin my facesheid down & needed a rescue [Thanks Rich, Gary & the guys who were climbing out on the paddleboat to try & help] aaand suddenly realized that I needed water. Luckily I had time to get restarted & go. That was the tuff-est of the 3 heats.
    4th race, I got a drink & my cushion, tore a chunk off my cushion & stuft it in my helmet top & had my best heat. The helmet wasnt bobbling down over my eyes in the turns, I got a little closer to the pack & kept them in sight the whole heat.
    I knew riding with the real racers would be humbling, its easy to ride around & go fast for fun but to burn around turns as hard as ya can & dare while how well or not you accomplish this counts -alot- isnt. My plan was to go long & wide & hang back. Turned out that 'hangin back' was really more like 'left in the spray'. Outsider

If you're in their spray I would say you gotta be somewhat close

The biggest thing I see is you're helmet doesn't fit well. It is real important to have them fitting snug so it doesn't fall over you eyes (safety). I would suggest helmet restraints or you might end up with a neck like mine if you ever go swimming with a full head of steam.

Good luck! Sounds like you're having some fun
    Sean Byrne

Comment

According to the Snell Memorial Foundation ... helmets should fit as snug as you can stand for the longest time you anticipate wearing the helmet.

So, you may want a looser fitting helmet for riding your motorcycle all day than the helmet would use for 15 minutes of boat racing.

Comment

Originally posted by seanp3 View Post
        If you're in their spray I would say you gotta be somewhat close

The biggest thing I see is you're helmet doesn't fit well. It is real important to have them fitting snug so it doesn't fall over you eyes (safety). I would suggest helmet restraints or you might end up with a neck like mine if you ever go swimming with a full head of steam.

Good luck! Sounds like you're having some fun
        In the spray was more of a goofy statement than true, There was however more propwash & wake soup than Ive ever seen.
        Team Tower

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
          According to the Snell Memorial Foundation ... helmets should fit as snug as you can stand for the longest time you anticipate wearing the helmet.

So, you may want a looser fitting helmet for riding your motorcycle all day than the helmet would use for 15 minutes of boat racing.
          I was surprise to have it roll forward like that cause its pretty tight. It was fine in the straights at least.
          Team Tower

Comment

I hope you at least had fun! That's all that really counts. Speed and proper preperation will come with time.
            Future J dad!

Comment

sorry i did not get to see you before we left on sunday. glad to have met you.
              well, all i can say is. it takes alot of ball's to get out there with that old boat. you went out there with some of the best in the country. you did well. hope to see you at lock haven. [the indy 500 of the east soast] see you soon

chuck 280-p

Comment

Originally posted by thunderracing View Post
                sorry i did not get to see you before we left on sunday. glad to have met you.
                well, all i can say is. it takes alot of ball's to get out there with that old boat. you went out there with some of the best in the country. you did well. hope to see you at lock haven. [the indy 500 of the east soast] see you soon

chuck 280-p
                Thanks Chuck, Good to hear. Id like to be there but dont know.
                Work while its there thing, last miniute call. Fall Millville Im callin a plan for now. Mike
                Team Tower

Comment

#s

My APBA package arrived.. card, rulebook & # 28-J
                  Team Tower

Comment

Working...
                  X