• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Little's Home Movies - 1966 Depue, Illinois Pro Outboard Nationals

Alky nationals filmed by Dave Little from Canton, Ohio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGlt...x=3&playnext=1
    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Simply Awesome

Great video. I did not realize that the Crescent 500cc engine had been introduced that early. Those pits have not changed much in 40 years!
    David Weaver

Comment

Please help!!!!!

Great video , I was only 2 at the time. When looking at the video , indeed , not much has changed in 45 years. From the pier in front of the big shelter , the coal burning power plant in the distance , the big trees that surround the lake and the great racing that happens when boat racing returns to DePue. The only change is the depth of not just a great race lake but what was once a great recreational lake , from fishing to hunting and boat racing.

The village of DePue is in a battle to not just clean up the lake , but also the entire superfund site. Please go to the Village of DePue web site and print out a petition , sign it and mail it back. They can use all the help that everybody can provide. If you can do anything else to help please do.

Just think how many generations have come to DePue to race and to watch races. As a fan it is now 4 , my grandfather , my dad , me and now my children all enjoy the races. Think of the racers who have been on the waters of Lake DePue and it would be a who's who of boat racers. Don't let it die.

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
        Great video. I did not realize that the Crescent 500cc engine had been introduced that early. Those pits have not changed much in 40 years!
        There is also a VC series Konig at 3:08, this would have been the first or second year for a piston port V series Konig.

The Crescent 500cc alky motor was in production and winning races in Europe by 1963 in both alky and gas versions over there ... I suspect alky sales may have started in 1962. Carl-Eric Zander noted that more than 100 had be produced by 1963 and that let the motor be homologated for stock racing in Europe.

Comment

I was 3yrs old. I was there because my father was racing then.

Comment

DePue, 1967, Really.

I saw several shots of me there. One is me on the scales in Harry Bartolomei's Schultz and 75-H by Quincy.....We ran second to Bill Jack Rucker, Sr. Harry ran a Konig gearcase on that Mark 75-H. Another was my red D Sid Craft that I ran in A nd B Hydro in 1967. In '66 I only ran A Runabout!

Fun pictures!

DePue was two weeks before the Canton, Ohio OPC Nationals...

Comment

Thanks Ron!

When Dave sent me the video he listed it as 1966 with a "?" after it. Now we know for sure. Thanks, Jeff
              http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

1967 results

If this was indeed 1967 here are the champions from that year.
                A Hydro - Bob Henry B Hydro - William Hoctor C Hydro - Homer Kincaid D Hydro - Bill Seebold jr F Hydro - Bill Rucker C Ser Hydro - Hal Tolford jr M Hydro - Julie Seaman A Run - Jerry Simison B Run - Jerry Simison C Run - Bill Seebold jr D Run - Ron Hill F Run - Charles Walters C Ser Run Bud Cowdery
                Last edited by racingfan1; 03-06-2011, 08:00 PM.

Comment

About a third of the way through, there's a B Harrison with expansion chambers, clamped on a mahogany-and-blue hydro. The owner was machinist Buzz Thorsen out of Oregon; the boat is a McDonald, built in Oregon. Buzz had put this rig together the year before (1966) and was the center of attention when he first brought it to a Reg. 10 race. He didn't have the expansion chambers that year. Buzz used to carry the boat atop an immaculate '56 Chevy Nomad wagon, painted two-tone blue and white to match the boat, very classy. I've been told that he still has all of this stuff.

Comment

Did anyone notice that the Crescent was J-2, Dick O'Dea's rig with his barrel valve carbs? Not the Amal's that came with the engine?
                    As grainy as the movie is, there are so many great racers with their boats, being wieghted or just sitting in the pits. Good history.

Comment

Working...
                    X