Vintage Racing Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Racing Video

Posting this for a friend. This is video his father took many, many, many moons ago. If you are feeling froggy and want to point out people, please do. We know who some of the people are, but not all. I have more videos and will upload as I have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxIznlEtwY

Josh

Thank you Josh, great video.......
    John Sherlock

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man
    standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Josh -

This video appears to have made at Morrow lake A.K. KiloWatt lake in my home town of Galesburg,Mi. back in the day. The highway in the backgrond could be Interstate 94. They used to have many stock and Mod races there. Did you notice all the M # boats? And the prop that said Lyle on it could have been Lyle "the file" Masons? Just wondering if you new were it was filmed at? Great video.
      Tom L.

Comment

Tom,

The whole Mason clan is in there along with Steve Wheeler. It is hard to miss Lyle in the video. His profile has not changed a bit over the years. I sent the movie to Dave and he enjoyed the walk down memory lane. I told my wife we need to start taking video of more than just racing so we can look back this same way in 30-40 years. Glad you enjoyed it.

Josh

Comment

Not Kilowatt lake (Morrow Pond)

The location at the start of the video is a place where Dale Ropp resides. He put on a race (non APBA) sort of wildcat racing. We called it "The Pond". It was small !! I don't recall all the details, as you can see I was a young-un in that ROLL UP RUNABOUT !

Great times back then. Thanks J and Josh.

Some of the other locations on the video I am not 100% certain on, but have a good idea.

Sure was a lot of prop video on that segment... hehehe.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Big water

Couldn't help but notice a lake freighter in the background of one of the videos. Had to be on some channel or possibly the Great Lakes area. Water looked pretty rough!

Comment

Yes, the start of the video looks like the "POND" in Port Huron, and there is some footage of Dale's D hydro. thanks for posting Josh.

"...if your not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

-

Comment

the first one is the pond the second is ford lake 1963 64 i think if you stop at 6:20 i think it is young vic brinkman the third is ecorse

Comment

Yup

I did not want to give it away, Ecorse.... holy cow.... what a place to race..... lots of stories from that ummm, place.

Ford Lake was a nice place to race, everytime I drive past it I can remember racing there in the J Mod class. Ford Lake is where I nearly died, a car must have gotten in my way... hehe, I can't imagine as a kid I would have run in front of a car..hehehehe.

Great footage Jay.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by jkimble12 View Post
                    Posting this for a friend. This is video his father took many, many, many moons ago. If you are feeling froggy and want to point out people, please do. We know who some of the people are, but not all. I have more videos and will upload as I have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxIznlEtwY

Josh
                    Great Video!!!!

Comment

Thank you Josh for posting this video! I enjoyed it.

Comment

Thank you very much, I enjoyed it too.

Comment

Yes, as I recall "the pond" was so small that we used a 45 second starting clock. I ran my stock 15 cube hot rod on Lyle's 25 boat. Nobody had runabouts so Jill ran her C merc, I ran my Dad's C stock Rinker with Lyle's C hydro engine and poor Randy Terrill ran Lyle's 25 mod engine. Dave, did Randy use your J runabout with Lyle's 25 motor?
                          We had some good times together!

Comment

Steve - Yup

Steve,

Yes, Randy ran the 25 Mod on my J runabout at the Pond. I remember thinking that it was the perfect size race course for the J's back then !

I also remember I won one heat of JMR and finished 2nd one heat. Since the club was small and did not have timing equipment at that time they flipped a coin to see who would take home the 1st place trophy !

Harry Brinkman was the original owner of my JMR, and I believe Terry Witham raced it as well.

I often wonder what happened to that boat. It is the only one of all the boats from the past that I can't recall who we sold it to, or where it went.

Good times back then.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Awesome! Love the KG4's in action.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X