Milwaukie OR, ASR crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukie OR, ASR crash

Sunday ASR heat 2, 7 ASR's enter turn 1, 4 come out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waLGkjs6FL8

Everybody OK?
    Twisted Sister

Comment

Thankfully yes, (the oldest driver in the heat was 17). The only boat that went (stayed) upside down was Tony Martino, Brian Bartlett had the camera (I guess technically from the video Brian did go upside down, for a split second), Aaron Salmon went dead after spinning and Aaron Peterson was able to drive back to the pits with a broken tower housing. There was only 3 or 4 (?) for the restart, I don't remember, I was a little busy with Brian after his first hard crash.

This comment was not to say that age or experience had anything to do with the accident, just that there were a LOT of anxious parents on the beach until signals were seen, both drivers took a while to check themselves out before signaling.
      Last edited by ricochet112; 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Yikes! Another day at the races...
        Twisted Sister

Comment

Wild stuff,Glad everyone was ok.
          Bob

Comment

What kind of camera took the video?

Comment

Oops - I answered my own question - I didn't read the other posts...

BTW: One thing I did notice on the Oregon Scientific camera is that it didn't like getting hit with water too much - really made the video "tear" quite a bit. Wonder if that was a result of the mount not being rigid enough or whether the camera just doesn't like to be hit?

The GoPro seems to take a hit quite a bit better...

Comment

The reason is the lens fills up with water because it's recessed, where the GoPro's water proof case is convexed which repels water better and faster. A couple of the first attempts at mounting were a little loose which made the videos almost unwatchable, the rigid mounts are working better. For some reason the vibration is causing the cameras to shut down, on both loose and rigid mounts???

Does the GoPro have an adjustable FOV? Or are you fixed at the 143 (?) degree view? The OS's are 43 and 48 degree FOV, I'd like something between 60-90.

Comment

The GoPro's have various cameras that get you different focal lengths, but with the wide angle on the Motorsports camera, I think that at least in boat racing, the wider view is definitely a better bet, as you can get other boats in the frame instead of just open water ahead of you and make it look like a race instead looking like you're trolling around by yourself.

I haven't seen a situation where the GoPro has shut down at all unless you run out of batteries - take a look at all the mayhem these things have been through on some of the clips at www.nwspeedshots.com or on LewisRacingVideos on YouTube and you'll see that they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Comment

Working...
                  X