• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only thing left now is to set CG with the install of the radio
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

There is an active R/C boat club near me in Melbourne, Florida. I met an interesting gentleman there a couple of years back. He was a retired 5 liter hydro racer from Jersey who now runs both the 2 stroke Scale class and the weed eater "Thunder boats". He tried to get me talked into doing it, but I didn't have the time then. Now I'm retired, and might give it a go. I like the Thunder boats better, due to less maintenance on the motors, cheaper fuel, and the larger boats. The old shovel nose unlimiteds remind me of my childhood and going to the Detroit River for the Gold Cup. We went to Sea Fair for the first time this year and saw all of the turbines running, and it appeared there was still a piston boat or two. Don't really care for the turbine stuff, guess I'm just too nostalgic! :-) My biggest area in question is that of depth perception. I'm not sure I can safely maneuver the back straight in the company of several other boats without causing problems for all of us. I do fly R/C planes and gliders, and enjoy building them. I tried an electric tunnel hull boat from Hobby King but burned up so many motors and their junk speed controllers that the boat now hangs on my wall. So, what's your take on the depth perception issue? Bob

Comment

Bob the depth perception is not bad on the elevated platform that clubs use plus with a good coach they can help you get around the dead boats when needed.. It is difficult at first but after a while its like riding a bike.

Comment

There is a rather large group of R/C's in Ft. Myers, Fl.
          They run on a small lake/pond on south 6-Mile Cypress.
          A couple of blocks back east of the intersection of 6-Mile Cypress and Tamiami.

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
            Bob the depth perception is not bad on the elevated platform that clubs use plus with a good coach they can help you get around the dead boats when needed.. It is difficult at first but after a while its like riding a bike.
            Thanks, Mike! I think the guy I talked to was named Wally. He showed me one of his boats with the prop cut marks across the deck and said " yeah, it happens all the time!" Like it wasn't a big deal. I might get back with him and take another look. I believe the Melbourne club is NAMBA affiliated due to some issues they had with the IMPBA. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by runabout333 View Post
              There is a rather large group of R/C's in Ft. Myers, Fl. They run on a small lake/pond on south 6-Mile Cypress. A couple of blocks back east of the intersection of 6-Mile Cypress and Tamiami.
              Fort Myers is quite a haul across the state. There is a fast electric group that runs in Fruitland Park , north of Eustis as well. Those electrics are BLAZING fast! Probably go faster than I think! :-) Bob

Comment

Its funny but last time when we did the scale hydros I could not afford the boats and horse shows.. Now we can do all three but the body is starting to protest the big boats so this may be the last years for Outboards..

Comment

I hear you, Mike! A couple of years back, the Stock Outboard Commisioner for our area let me take his C Hydro out for a spin. I was nearly hooked until I actually worked a couple of APBA races and saw how badly the word "stock" was abused. I mean, after 1.5 laps, the lead guy has more than a full straightaway on 2nd place? Give me a break! That 302 Yamato class REALLY got my interest up, but the reality of driving from Florida to Michigan for 10 minutes of seat time just doesn't work for me. Bob

Comment

I was referring to the physical abuse the body takes but you have valid points.. Being 62 and now having back problems is killing me

Comment

Ok, so a burnout weird guy calls my prop shop and says he has a couple RC boats that he wants to get rid of?? In this neighborhood we packed some heat and went on over to see what he was "giving" away. (2 of us, 1 at the door, 1 entered the apartment) for a $20 donation we walked out with a unlimited (almost completely finished) with the original plans Miss circus circus. And a V bottom. I will add pics tomorrow to see if he "took" us (for the $20) they appear to be built better than some of the professionally built kneeler boats I have purchased new over the last 20 years!! Can't wait to hear what you guys think.

Comment

Primer is applied, wet sanded and now ready for a good base coat of white.. Using Shimrin paint from House of Kolor since not to many folks carry a Neon.. The goal is the last picture of the real boat

Comment

It was warm enough to do some painting today.. This is one bright neon red.. Will look better with a clear coat

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                            I was referring to the physical abuse the body takes but you have valid points.. Being 62 and now having back problems is killing me

I made it to almost 70. My neck can't take it anymore. Sore after two heats and can't turn my neck the next day and don't do very well on the second day as a result. So I retired and selling my stuff as you have probably seen. There is a group that run RC boats on Lake Minden, one of our race sites. Man those things really go. I thought about it but ultimately decided to oversee the NorCal 400 program in R11 instead. This way I can hang out with my fellow racers and do something that might help promote boat racing. I just couldn't see myself in a Sport C.
                            kk

Comment

cant do any more till decals show up

Comment

well since they have a high point for the old classics and you always need a back up or a second boat.. Running two boats at a race gives you 40 minutes of racing time.. I may need a nap

Comment

Working...
                                X