Breaking News - Fastest Growing Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News - Fastest Growing Sport

Per news report today, Power Boating Racing is not the fastest growing sport, again. Lacrosse is on top with participation up by 218.1%. No data was found about Boat Racing. Again this sport is under the radar screen, 99.9% of the population is still not aware. A letter writing blitz and cake sale is in the planning stage to get the word out. At this time all work is stopped due to discussions on the color and text size of the lettering for the letter and cake sale signs. Expect dues increases next year to cover the cost of higher postage.

don't forget Stand Up Paddleboard - SUP. Last year 6 race events in the southeast coast. This year 26 race events and still counting.
    carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Huson View Post
      don't forget Stand Up Paddleboard - SUP. Last year 6 race events in the southeast coast. This year 26 race events and still counting.
      Will my helmet be legal there.. Just kidding

Comment

Powerboat racing

Per news report today, Power Boating Racing is not the fastest growing sport, again. Lacrosse is on top with participation up by 218.1%. No data was found about Boat Racing. Again this sport is under the radar screen, 99.9% of the population is still not aware. A letter writing blitz and cake sale is in the planning stage to get the word out. At this time all work is stopped due to discussions on the color and text size of the lettering for the letter and cake sale signs. Expect dues increases next year to cover the cost of higher postage.

I get it, your using sarcasm to get your point across. Very cleaver. I have used it as well over time here on H.R.. Guess what? It doesn't help the sport grow. It only belittles the people that are trying to make change to try and make the sport better. But maybe that's your goal. Why? I do not understand, but it's your thread. I don't know you or your activity in growing the sport so I will leave that one alone. Yes it's a free country and your allowed to rant and rave as I'm doing right now without going to a concentration camp but this is one reason I have not logged onto many threads lately because of all the negativity here and on other sites. It's easy to complain. It's harder to be proactive and be a part of the solution. Some of us cannot dedicate as much time as other due to family and jobs. I am one of those. I do however still try and bring new people into the sport as time allows and that is where all of us can make a difference. I'm sure your a great guy that loves the sport and most the people in it but your sarcasm dosn't bring out your best side. Just my opinion.

After all the banter here on this web site and others, the numbers are still stagnet. If you google "Powerboat racing" you see that there are over 947,000 results. If you google "LaCrosse" there are over 85,000,000 results. If people were interested in "Powerboat racing" they would persue it. They are not. We are boring as a sport. Most races are a parade lap after the first turn.(We don't need 1 mile long courses).The time it takes to get equipment ready to compete for a race.The time it takes to do the show (typically a two day weekend),the lack of attention from spectators cheering you on. The only way I personally feel your going to bring "Powerboat racing" in general back is to make it.

1. Easy to buy and maintain equipment.
        2. Affordable equipment.
        3. Have races within a 3 hour drive from the racers back door.
        4. Have races in larger metropolitan areas to draw larger spectator crowds. Do them in conjunction with fairs and downtown festivals.
        5. Sponsors,Sponsors,Sponsors
        6. Professional boat clubs (with support from the national organization and members) with marketing stratigies, community support and sponsor backing to grow the venues and bring in the crowds in. (MHRA is doing this today with Grass Lake!)

OK - Go a head hammer away at me. I'll log back on in about a month to see all the negative replys. Going to the shop to work on equipment.
        Tom L.

Comment

http://raceboatinternational.com/index.php?id=567

via Raceboat Int.
          "It's no longer an excuse to blame recession as powerboat racing is thriving in Norway, Sweden and certain areas of France. It's time to make some sweeping changes in the hierarchy and breath new fresh air into the sport."
          Last edited by HRTV; 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM.
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

no helmet required . . .

Originally posted by RKO View Post
            Will my helmet be legal there.. Just kidding
            but you must wear a USCG approved PFD and carry a whistle.
            carpetbagger

Comment

Reverse polarity

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post
              I get it, your using sarcasm to get your point across. Very cleaver. I have used it as well over time here on H.R.. Guess what? It doesn't help the sport grow. It only belittles the people that are trying to make change to try and make the sport better. But maybe that's your goal. Why? I do not understand, but it's your thread. I don't know you or your activity in growing the sport so I will leave that one alone. Yes it's a free country and your allowed to rant and rave as I'm doing right now without going to a concentration camp but this is one reason I have not logged onto many threads lately because of all the negativity here and on other sites. It's easy to complain. It's harder to be proactive and be a part of the solution. Some of us cannot dedicate as much time as other due to family and jobs. I am one of those. I do however still try and bring new people into the sport as time allows and that is where all of us can make a difference. I'm sure your a great guy that loves the sport and most the people in it but your sarcasm dosn't bring out your best side. Just my opinion.

After all the banter here on this web site and others, the numbers are still stagnet. If you google "Powerboat racing" you see that there are over 947,000 results. If you google "LaCrosse" there are over 85,000,000 results. If people were interested in "Powerboat racing" they would persue it. They are not. We are boring as a sport. Most races are a parade lap after the first turn.(We don't need 1 mile long courses).The time it takes to get equipment ready to compete for a race.The time it takes to do the show (typically a two day weekend),the lack of attention from spectators cheering you on. The only way I personally feel your going to bring "Powerboat racing" in general back is to make it.

2. Affordable equipment.
              4. Have races in larger metropolitan areas to draw larger spectator crowds. Do them in conjunction with fairs and downtown festivals.
              6. Professional boat clubs (with support from the national organization and members) with marketing stratigies, community support and sponsor backing to grow the venues and bring in the crowds in. (MHRA is doing this today with Grass Lake!)

OK - Go a head hammer away at me. I'll log back on in about a month to see all the negative replys. Going to the shop to work on equipment.
              Tom,
              I'd have to say, that your post here isn't exactly "positive"...but, you've made good points. However, not visiting this site because of 'negativity' doesn't mean much. How else can things get changed, ie made better or made worse? It's by people talking to one another.
              Sure, we do this at the national meeting..... the relative few from each category/class that can afford to attend. And, because the issues weren't adequately discussed (fought out) here on HR or among ALL the membership, etc..... we end up with a dumb decision like the 50% helmet color rule... or the elimination of DOT helmets, or the requirement that everyone have flak material in their jackets. It goes on and on. So, I encourage everyone I know to log onto HR and get into the fray. And, as for being "under the radar"... I don't agree. Click on this on google: hydroplane race standish maine dsh. You'll get a good video of some Tohatsu's (me out front ) along with a bunch of other boat race U-Tube videos. We're out there..without Crown Royal. Gimme a cold Bud anytime.
              Alex
              DSH 8A (at Standish)

Comment

Short tight course, sponsors, spectators, yea we have them. It's called Lucas Oil Speedway in July. Might want to come by and take a look!!! Just sayin....

Comment

Hmmmm, thanks propfxr084, you have a point!!

Dan

Comment

NBRA has Lucas Oil. AOF has BP sponsorship. The USTS has all kinds of sponsorship like Marvin Windows and 3M. Those sponsors did not decide to come on board by what was posted on this board or any others. Those sponsorships came to NBRA, AOF, and USTS the old fashioned way-they earned it!!!!

Comment

Lake Havasu

I was in Lake Havasu City earlier this April visiting my dad and it just coincided with the race that was there. I was excited to see some racing as there is not much here in Tennessee. Anyway, from where we were sitting and watching, which was by the channel, there were a lot of people that were disappointed and left after not much time because there would be a race and then nothing for a long period of time. We stayed down there for around 2-3 hours and saw 2 heats. There really was a large crowd down there and people were very interested but 2 heats? There were no speakers over there to let people know what was going on and as much as we wanted to see some racing we left as well. That is a great place for a race because of the crowds, but that was the complaint down there and then people were just upset that the lake was shut down for nothing.
                      Time to go fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeRacing View Post
                        NBRA has Lucas Oil. AOF has BP sponsorship. The USTS has all kinds of sponsorship like Marvin Windows and 3M. Those sponsors did not decide to come on board by what was posted on this board or any others. Those sponsorships came to NBRA, AOF, and USTS the old fashioned way-they earned it!!!!
                        Correct, it takes months some times even years of hard work offline to obtain and retain sponsorship etc. none of which is done through this web site or any other message board etc.

The amount of leg work and countless hours of behind the scene work that goes into making an event a reality is hard to comprehend by a lay person who has never worked in the event management or Hospitably arena. The NBRA Lucas Oil partnership is a good example along with the AOF BP venture. The real question is will you help support these efforts by showing up to race? I support these efforts by publicizing there events across all of my HRTV outlets, as a driver you can show your support by attending these events.

Be safe!
                        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Don’t like Lacrosse being more popular than Boat Racing then get off your butt and do something to advertise your sport.
                          Rodeo seem to be popular where I live now. What do they do to draw a paying crowd? They ADVERTISE!!
                          A month before the event they post signs on all roads leading to event, as far as 10 miles from the location. A few days before the actual event, I’ve seen parked cars in various locations nearer the event covered with bright color banners.
                          Back in my earlier days of racing in Chicago I would call the local radio stations to air information about the race, most station where glad to pass the information to their listeners.
                          On race day make sure there are signs posted to advertise and direct people to the location.
                          Many bank and other businesses today, have programmable outdoor signs, see if they will post race information.
                          Got money? Then use some to advertise in the local paper.

Comment

Tom, Tom Tom

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post

2. Affordable equipment.

Tom,

Your point is well taken, and trust me when I say there is an organizations that IS doing just about everything everyone hammers about here..... easy to understand, simple format, spectator friendly, short racing course that are sure to bring about serious racing and not parade laps, they let the specators mingle with us, we put them in boats to ride at some races if it is someone who is serious. What you find in the NBRA is a group of dedicated individuals that got tired of the status quo, and wanted the good old days back. And no, we don't go get all the sponsors, some come to us. I received a call a couple years back from a local business owner in MI. He said he had ralatives in Shelbyville, IL that helped put on the NBRA races there. He wanted to sponsor a race in his town. The town need a boost in the spring. Well, me and a friend went up there to have a meeting with him, the sherrif, DNR, and other local businesses. They LOVED the idea of having LOUD fast boats on the lake. Only problem I had was how large the lake was. The current boats would not be able to race should the wind blow more than 5 - 10 MPH. See, when we combined stock and MOD together in NBRA, it made for quiet and loud classes. Some have both in them. Whether you guys think it or not, a lot of places to race are lost becasue everyone assumes the town won't like the noise... when acutally you could not be further from the truth. Noise attracts peoples attention, they come look at what is going on. They know something is happening, and there is where the boat is missed so many times. We aim to fix that.

Advertise ? Look at Centrallia IL. HUGE billboard on the roads to advertise, radio coverage, and sometimes the local news coverage on TV. The crowds are big in Centrallia. But remember, that is the ONLY event of racing on that lake all year. Much easier to sell the house owners on the lake one weekend a year, than two.

Now look at Lucas Oil, the NBRA is all over their world wide website. Who visits a site such as Lucas Oil ? Gearheads..... hello...... what part of promotions 101 is this ? Target the right people.

In short, to grow boat racing we need each other. One simple format for stock & Mod. The USTS is doing a GREAT job with their format, and the NBRA is doing awesome too. AOF just picked up BP. What more can we say ? The boat left the dock years ago, and it is a long swim. But don't give up. I offer to haul your rig to Lucas Oil if that is what it takes to get you there. I can guarentee you the 20SSH and CSH rigs will have some serious comeptition. I know of a couple DSH rigs going too.

Sorry this is long.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Rules make the sport. APBA rules make you drive out in front as far as possible, because the heats are timed and the fastested elapse time wins the race. NBRA rules allows for ties, except at championship events. This allows the driver to win by a foot in the first heat, and this looks much better to the spectator. Second heat is a new race. Yes, you do have ties for first, but the money is divided and it's not a big deal. The points are the same, if there is a tie.

Comment

Working...
                              X