Growth, TORC is growing.... some answers why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth, TORC is growing.... some answers why

Toronto Outboard Racing Club is growing.... in members, racers, events, sponsorship etc. We have growth, big time. We have just made decent money at a sponsored event that we (stock outboard) hosted, we have not accomplished anything of this size since 1994 in Cambridge.

Why?
    -Volunteers
    -A keen understanding that we have to work for what we get and we are owed nothing in return but the satisfaction of a great hobby
    -Enthusiasm and teamwork between new and old members
    -People are inviting others to their cottages/test grounds to run their boats
    -Loaning out rigs to first timers in new classes at races
    -Helping with testing which means tighter competition
    -PROMOTING the sport, not just by sending off emails, not just by calling someone up on the phone, but also by stomping in to town buildings and pitching an idea.... an idea on how a town can hold a FAMILY ORIENTED fun event.
    -Key is, we are hosting events, renting space, and holding an event... music, beer tents, antique exhibits, race boats etc etc etc
    -Hot and Cold pits... hot pits at beach (racers only) for start up and prop up, cold pits in staging area with trailers so people can mingle with racers and gear
    -Media, contacting every possible group necessary, radio, tv, etc to get the word out.
    -Chamber of Commerce involvement (represent local businesses, not sure if you have this in US)
    -Charity, our last race in Gravenhurst raised over $1065 for Tim Horton's Childrens Foundation to send kids to camp!
    -Marketing packages and PROGRAMS, get spectators thru marketing, hand out programs, work with chamber of commerce and local businesses to sell $200 biz card sized ads in program to help support an event that raises money for charity and brings many people into community!
    -Work with towns, bend over backwards for them, beg them, do whatever it takes...

BIG ONE FOR US...

WORK WITH OTHER BOAT RACING GROUPS, mainly, we have had great success working with T750 T850 (voodoo) guys, and now at the end of our program working with outboard drag racing... We run 3 sets of SO, T classes run back to back after second set, than drag runs after stockers are complete (3:30-4pm) We also share shows etc to help break up the promotion cost.

We had over 70 entries at our last event, and over 60 at the previous... this is up from high 40s to low 50s a few years ago.

We also offer online registration now using visa/mc to help streamline registration... we are working towards change... so far it is working in our favour, just sharing what we have tried that works. REMEMBER, this all started with people helping each other and new comers. Don't be afraid to go after new sites that lend themselves to our sport, and trying old places that previous council kicked us out of!
    Last edited by cottagecreep; 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM.

Congratulations

Reason #1 for the growth, the tons of hard work and enthusiasm from cottagecreep and maybe a few others from that club. I wish it were easier, but most of the time it just boils down the a willingness to put in the hours and do the WORK that make these things a success. Well done, hopefully we'll see some of those Canuck boats in Wakefield, as Sarah Palin would say "I can see Canada from the lake".
    Moby Grape Racing
    "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

exactly

Originally posted by propnuts View Post
      Reason #1 for the growth, the tons of hard work and enthusiasm from cottagecreep and maybe a few others from that club. I wish it were easier, but most of the time it just boils down the a willingness to put in the hours and do the WORK that make these things a success.
      very well put.
      Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Thank you guys, we do have a wide array of new volunteers that have stepped up to the plate, many of these are new racers with guidance from the past, but we owe thanks to those who managed to keep the club alive to this point. We are lucky to have families like the Fralick, Webster, knox, Luksep(hydroid),Keegan, Misner/Howard, Overbury, Utman, Locke, Rico(drag), Whittington (T), Sherriff (vp) etc etc etc

We also owe a huge thanks to major sponsors such as Tim Hortons, Top Gun Marine, James Hunter Equipment, and many others who have stepped up this season to support our 4 race series.

Sorry if I forgot people!

Another note, as much as everyone contributes, we are finding that each race really needs 1 local person (a racer) to head it up and run it... we used to think a race committee was key, but really I think each needs a host who can do some major PR legwork in the area and relay with the club. Its important to have a committee still to set out a template and mandate a flow, but with our sites being so far apart and being a volunteer club nothing beats having a guy/gal on the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by propnuts View Post
          hopefully we'll see some of those Canuck boats in Wakefield, as Sarah Palin would say "I can see Canada from the lake".
          You can count on it, our group is really starting to do their homework again.

Comment

Important

Good job you guys. One thing I see in common with some of the goals of other organizations is the fact you put on races that are for the racers, and you listen to the racers, ask for input and deliver results.

One key thing that I think every organization can benefit from. A key to sucuess is to have an open mind. And remember, no one person has all the answers.

Have fun at the races !!!
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Well Done

Great Post!
              Thanks for sharing your Club's success!!!

- Mike

Comment

Working...
              X