Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are The Barriers to Entry? The Simple Truth: Exposure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are The Barriers to Entry? The Simple Truth: Exposure.

We often hear and read about the topic of ‘barriers to entry’ as it applies to the sport of boat racing. In those discussions we hear much about things like rule book changes, class structures and parity. I contend that we are missing the point. I am a new guy here (<1yr) and after much consideration, here is my new guy perspective on the topic.

Those issues referred to above are not barriers to entry; at best they are retention issues for those that are already possible flight risks. We should keep these two topics isolated because the drivers of each are day and night different.

There is no magic pill or silver bullet to lowering the barriers; As I just suggested, I think we (we being the student body at large) often think about this issue from the wrong direction or at least we don’t break it down fundamentally and study those elemental bricks in the barrier. If we understand what those elemental bricks are we are more likely to be able to address and employ countermeasures to overcome them. So, I ask, what are those bricks?

Cost?
    Lack of Exposure and Access?
    Life Cycle Timing?
    Preconception of Danger?
    Lack of Interest?

Lets explore these a bit.

Cost – Possibly: yes for some, no for others. So let’s explore the yes side of that. What can we do to lower cost? This is probably the hardest brick in the barrier to remove because everyone’s resources are different but…what if we quite burning those old boats and donated them to the club for…demo rides or a racer school? What if each club got a boat kit from one of the kit manufactures at cost and had some winter club meetings to assemble it as a boat ready for the next new guy?

Lack of Exposure – Unequivocally Yes: This in my mind is probably the single largest detriment to growth. This is not a mainstream sport like soccer that you can see driving home from work any given summer afternoon. This is the brick that kept me from jumping in for almost my entire life. Sure, I saw bits and pieces over the years but not enough to fully draw me in. A few years ago I moved into a new area and happened to meet an active racer family. Over time, a combination of that family’s mentorship, exposure through them and the Michigan Hydroplane Racing Association (MHRA) Racer School and the good will of many of the club’s members set the hook.

The concept of Exposure can be broken down into smaller elemental bricks.
    -Exposure to the anatomy of a race boat and basic two cycle engine theory.
    -Exposure and access to comprehensive and concise category and class research material.
    -Exposure to subject matter expert mentorship for guidance, training, equipment acquisition etc…
    -Exposure to formal training on safety, equipment and operation.
    -Exposure to reasonably priced equipment.
    -Exposure to race dates and locations.

While each brick in the barrier is real, the brick of Exposure is, in my humble opinion, the one that is the most easily countered by the racer community at large. This is the area where we have the most positive control and it does not take a motion by the committee or funding from APBA

Have you ever considered hanging your clubs race schedule all over town on every bulletin board you see; at the grocery store, hardware store, doctors office, employment office, at work, at the community mailbox area, the laundromat? This list can go on and on. Because we are not all living in the same neighborhood we could get quite a large geographical exposure if each member of the club did this. As each race date approaches do the same with the event flyer. Have you ever considered hauling your boat trailer and boat/s to the kids soccer games and employ it as an advertisement display. If anybody asks why you have your boat at the soccer game, answer with the truth; you are trying to garnish interest in the sport. Put your club website, favorite race forum website and club / region schedule on the side of your trailer. What if we all put a slogan at the bottom of our personal e-mails that said something like “I support APBA…. or Want to race stock outboard? Ask me how.

As many of you know, MHRA uses the Racer School and Never Ever Raced program to recruit new people into the sport of SO racing. While the program may be too young to have any real data to support a claim of success, I can testify that it was instrumental in pulling my family in to stock outboard racing. Does your club have a racer school? What if it did? What if each club kept one full set of equipment on hand beyond the needs of their racer school to make readily available to new comers?

Lifecycle Timing. This is the brick where a young person is too young (<9yrs old) or they are moving off to collage or Federal Military Service or… a young couple starts to have kids or… you might be tempted to say this is a cost brick or worse yet a retention issue. Regardless of the case study you look at, if we were to Apply a Broad and Consistent Exposure Strategy to foster growth we will greatly improve his/her chances of returning if they see it available to them when the time is right / right again.

Preconception of Danger. Well, I am at a loss for a response. I would argue that while it is true that racing is inherently dangerous, boat racing safety rules and equipment have come a long way to reducing and eliminating injury. I would have to counter with comparisons to motocross or go cart risks and soften it with the fact that boat racing is a very family oriented sport/hobby.

Lack of Interest: Another hard one to counter. I would argue that a Persistent Exposure Strategy will catch them when those that toy with the idea, become ready to explore it deeper. What may be perceived as lack of interest may just be lack of exposure or a life cycle timing thing.

I contend that while we do need the leadership of our elected officials and sanctioning body to provide necessary stick and rudder to keep us all playing safe and fair, our future grown is in our hands, the general population of the boat racing community at large.

This is just my humble opinion on what keeps people from joining. What is yours?

Raymond
    Last edited by Raymond; 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM.
    Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
    We often hear and read about the topic of ‘barriers to entry’ as it applies to the sport of boat racing. In those discussions we hear much about things like rule book changes, class structures and parity. I contend that we are missing the point. I am a new guy here (<1yr) and after much consideration, here is my new guy perspective on the topic.

Those issues referred to above are not barriers to entry; at best they are retention issues for those that are already possible flight risks. We should keep these two topics isolated because the drivers of each are day and night different.

There is no magic pill or silver bullet to lowering the barriers; As I just suggested, I think we (we being the student body at large) often think about this issue from the wrong direction or at least we don’t break it down fundamentally and study those elemental bricks in the barrier. If we understand what those elemental bricks are we are more likely to be able to address and employ countermeasures to overcome them. So, I ask, what are those bricks?

Cost?
    Lack of Exposure and Access?
    Life Cycle Timing?
    Preconception of Danger?
    Lack of Interest?

Lets explore these a bit.

Cost – Possibly: yes for some, no for others. So let’s explore the yes side of that. What can we do to lower cost? This is probably the hardest brick in the barrier to remove because everyone’s resources are different but…what if we quite burning those old boats and donated them to the club for…demo rides or a racer school? What if each club got a boat kit from one of the kit manufactures at cost and had some winter club meetings to assemble it as a boat ready for the next new guy?

Lack of Exposure – Unequivocally Yes: This in my mind is probably the single largest detriment to growth. This is not a mainstream sport like soccer that you can see driving home from work any given summer afternoon. This is the brick that kept me from jumping in for almost my entire life. Sure, I saw bits and pieces over the years but not enough to fully draw me in. A few years ago I moved into a new area and happened to meet an active racer family. Over time, a combination of that family’s mentorship, exposure through them and the Michigan Hydroplane Racing Association (MHRA) Racer School and the good will of many of the club’s members set the hook.

The concept of Exposure can be broken down into smaller elemental bricks.
    -Exposure to the anatomy of a race boat and basic two cycle engine theory.
    -Exposure and access to comprehensive and concise category and class research material.
    -Exposure to subject matter expert mentorship for guidance, training, equipment acquisition etc…
    -Exposure to formal training on safety, equipment and operation.
    -Exposure to reasonably priced equipment.
    -Exposure to race dates and locations.

While each brick in the barrier is real, the brick of Exposure is, in my humble opinion, the one that is the most easily countered by the racer community at large. This is the area where we have the most positive control and it does not take a motion by the committee or funding from APBA

Have you ever considered hanging your clubs race schedule all over town on every bulletin board you see; at the grocery store, hardware store, doctors office, employment office, at work, at the community mailbox area, the laundromat? This list can go on and on. Because we are not all living in the same neighborhood we could get quite a large geographical exposure if each member of the club did this. As each race date approaches do the same with the event flyer. Have you ever considered hauling your boat trailer and boat/s to the kids soccer games and employ it as an advertisement display. If anybody asks why you have your boat at the soccer game, answer with the truth; you are trying to garnish interest in the sport. Put your club website, favorite race forum website and club / region schedule on the side of your trailer. What if we all put a slogan at the bottom of our personal e-mails that said something like “I support APBA…. or Want to race stock outboard? Ask me how.

As many of you know, MHRA uses the Racer School and Never Ever Raced program to recruit new people into the sport of SO racing. While the program may be too young to have any real data to support a claim of success, I can testify that it was instrumental in pulling my family in to stock outboard racing. Does your club have a racer school? What if it did? What if each club kept one full set of equipment on hand beyond the needs of their racer school to make readily available to new comers?

Lifecycle Timing. This is the brick where a young person is too young (<9yrs old) or they are moving off to collage or Federal Military Service or… a young couple starts to have kids or… you might be tempted to say this is a cost brick or worse yet a retention issue. Regardless of the case study you look at, if we were to Apply a Broad and Consistent Exposure Strategy to foster growth we will greatly improve his/her chances of returning if they see it available to them when the time is right / right again.

Preconception of Danger. Well, I am at a loss for a response. I would argue that while it is true that racing is inherently dangerous, boat racing safety rules and equipment have come a long way to reducing and eliminating injury. I would have to counter with comparisons to motocross or go cart risks and soften it with the fact that boat racing is a very family oriented sport/hobby.

Lack of Interest: Another hard one to counter. I would argue that a Persistent Exposure Strategy will catch them when those that toy with the idea, become ready to explore it deeper. What may be perceived as lack of interest may just be lack of exposure or a life cycle timing thing.

I contend that while we do need the leadership of our elected officials and sanctioning body to provide necessary stick and rudder to keep us all playing safe and fair, our future grown is in our hands, the general population of the boat racing community at large.

This is just my humble opinion on what keeps people from joining. What is yours?

Raymond
    Very good Raymond and your here only one year. Promotion,Promotion and some more Promotion. You use the word exposure. As the purpose of APBA states we shall promote powerboat racing,only this is what we do least...Some can't see the forest because the tree's are in the way,you on the other hand spotted the forest right away, congrats.

Pat Wright
    Pro Commissioner
    USTS Director

Comment

Well said!

Raymond,

All of your points are valid. I too am some what new to the sport. I have been "around" boat racing for most of my adult life however most of the "bricks" that you have pointed out have kept me from doing it full time until now. I want to thank you for your forward thinking and if I may borrow some of your concepts I think that the new club that we're starting in Texas could learn from this and apply the theory.
      Last edited by PROPDOC; 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM.
      Gardner Miller
      Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
      Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

I to agree with you.
        Here in region seven we have been working to overcome some of the exposure problems that you mentioned. I also like some of your suggestions that we have not tried.

"The Coffee Guy"
        TEAM CAFFEINE
        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Everyones Job

Great post Ray with many good reasons of why the sport is dieing a slow death.
          I have a challenge for everyone that is an active racer for 2010. Make it your goal to go out and get ONE new person to RACE or become ACTIVE our sport. If you can think of someone that may have interest but cannot afford to race get them ACTIVE as a pit crew. Get them into the pits around the racers and making them feel a part of the sport. Next, get them into a boat to play out on the lake. THIS IS THE HOOK that has helped me get 3 new racers into the sport. Once they get that rush and sensation of the ride it is almost a given they will sell that ATV collecting dust in their garage to get a race set up. You can promote all you want to with ads for boat racing but the heart and soul of getting people to join is up to all of us to get off our butts and draw people in by inviting them to join us and then working at it till they are beside you on the race course. If we all did this during the 2010 race season we have the potental to DOUBLE our membership for 2011 !!!! Now that's just cool.

Tom L.

Comment

"Get them into the pits around the racers and making them feel a part of the sport. Next, get them into a boat to play out on the lake."

Tomtall, this is the formula to get it done. Just ask Propdoc how that all worked for him at Stillwater last year. Jeff Ruth put Me, my son Ryan, Gardner (Propdoc), and his son Graeme in his CSH that weekend. The result, three new members joining the newly revived Lone Star Outboard Racing Association, two new boats and one new motor here in Texas with more to come as finances permit.

This works!
            "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Well said

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post
                I have a challenge for everyone that is an active racer for 2010. Make it your goal to go out and get ONE new person to RACE or become ACTIVE our sport. If you can think of someone that may have interest but cannot afford to race get them ACTIVE as a pit crew. Get them into the pits around the racers and making them feel a part of the sport. Next, get them into a boat to play out on the lake. THIS IS THE HOOK that has helped me get 3 new racers into the sport. Once they get that rush and sensation of the ride it is almost a given they will sell that ATV collecting dust in their garage to get a race set up. You can promote all you want to with ads for boat racing but the heart and soul of getting people to join is up to all of us to get off our butts and draw people in by inviting them to join us and then working at it till they are beside you on the race course. If we all did this during the 2010 race season we have the potental to DOUBLE our membership for 2011 !!!! Now that's just cool.

Exactly Tom

"The Coffee Guy"
                TEAM CAFFEINE
                Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Yes it does!

Originally posted by Dennis Crews View Post
                  "Get them into the pits around the racers and making them feel a part of the sport. Next, get them into a boat to play out on the lake."

Tomtall, this is the formula to get it done. Just ask Propdoc how that all worked for him at Stillwater last year. Jeff Ruth put Me, my son Ryan, Gardner (Propdoc), and his son Graeme in his CSH that weekend. The result, three new members joining the newly revived Lone Star Outboard Racing Association, two new boats and one new motor here in Texas with more to come as finances permit.

This works!
                  Yes Dennis it does! Thank you Jeff!
                  Gardner Miller
                  Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
                  Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

Exposure to race dates , locations

I think the best way to get new racers is to have more races .In region 1 there will be 8 race sights with 17 races this season . All within 2 hours of the center of our region. One of our nearby regions has 1 race. If I were there I would not spend the $$ to have to drive 8 or 10 hours to race. There have been rants about the lack of new motors, what good is a 4500.00 motor if you cant race it ? We have had new members come over from other race venues and come out of retirement due to the fact they can race and still be home in time for work or school on Monday. Its working in Region 1 , all it takes is HARD work and a desire to see the sport grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post

Exposure is promotion

Comment

Great Post

Here is what I have done is the past. Whenever I go testing at my own risk in my own spot, whenever someone shows up to check it out I let them get involved. I kind of read them to see if it is interest or just curious minds. If it is interest, they ge offered a ride in the boat with me. Of course that depends if they are small enough.

A perfect use for those stocker C Yamato's is just that. Hard to tear them up, gearfeet last, and just enough power to plane you off with two. I probably put more time on my CSH (when I raced it one season) giving people rides than I ever did racing it.

The main thing is, if someon eshows interest, get them in a boat somehow. This will set the hook. You can hand out all the reading material you want to, or talk all you want to. Nothing hooks them more than getting them in a boat. It is to bad current saftey structures make it difficult at best to give people rides at races. I think that is a barrier. I have never ever had a problem drawing interest from someone in any area I have tested or raced. But put them in a boat and all hell breaks loose with the race committee. I wish I has 20 bucks for everytime I have been told no to taking someone out for a ride after the races were done, or before they start. I could pay for an entire season.

In my opinion, we are our own worst enemey.
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Nor Cal 400

In Region 11 we have Nor Cal 400. The boats are old refurbished C hydros, the motors are Yamato 101s that came to the west cost via "grey Market". Propellers are the para mutual ones that came with Yamato 80s. The equipment was either donated or sold to us for very low prices. To fund the project deck advertising space was sold. The boats are transportated with motor on to make it easer on set up.
                          Speed of the boats are 52-53 mph, with lots of punch and plane very easy with the prop shaft 3" below the bottom. We charge an entry fee that equals APBA single event, club entry fee and add $15 to cover gas/oil and some maintence. This winter we are adding the 4th boat to our fleet and a trailer to haul all four.
                          We have 2 drivers who made their start in Nor Cal 400 go on to the APBA Hall of Champions, Tony Lombardo and Jason Williams.

Darrell

Comment

Darrel, that is awesome! That success story of the NorCal 400 needs to be told more often. I had no idea anyone had stepped up into other classes from the NorCal project. I am sure this will be news to others as well.

I come from the "give 'em a ride and they are hooked" school of thought on the subject of recruiting racers. Keeping them is another thread for another time.....

I think the East Coast needs a version of NorCal.

hmmmmmmmm...........

BW
                            302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Sounds like we are all taking the same thing but at different levels.

Exposure or Promotion? Yep, both the same; were on the same page

More races? Yep, more races means more exposure. More race sites? Yep, more race sites means more exposure.

Exposure to the ‘ride’ experience? Yes, Especially that too. I may have left it off my list but that does not make it any less true. It just goes to show that we are smarter as a group than any one of us standing alone.

We are all saying the same thing, call it exposure or promotion, it does not matter. What I see is that we all put different weights on the different levels of exposure. I don’t propose to say I have the right answer to this issue or level of weight applied, what I will say is, there is a balance that will lead to success and that is what we need to figure out. To succeed I think we need to address this issue from the 10,000 foot level as well as at sea level.

Darrell, what is the NorCal project??? I just Googled it and here is the hit I got. http://www.boatracingr11.com/areas/N...00%20Hydro.htm Looks like a great project. Is this still an active program? Do you have a more current web link? An east coast version of the NorCal project? Yes, I agree; like I am saying, we need exposure.

Raymond
                              Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

Working...
                              X