Clear All

• OPC Nationals update

Regatta is like 'NASCAR on water'
    09/01/2007, 9:40 pm

Families enjoy Powerboat Nationals on the river

By Scott Boehmer

sboehmer@daily-journal.com
    815-937-3321

Kankakee's annual power boat races kicked off Saturday, and Naomi and Michael Iliff brought one of the event's youngest fans with them to see the show.

Michael Iliff has been attending the races for the seven years and his wife, for three -- as long as the couple has been together. This year the Kankakee couple brought their 10-year-old nephew with them and set up a crib for son, Nathaniel, whose first birthday will be Sept. 7.

"This is much better than NASCAR 'cause it's on water," Naomi Iliff said. "Three years ago he brought me out here -- it was the first time I ever saw power boat racing. I loved it; I thought it was the neatest thing."

Racing continues today and Monday. Viewing is available for $15 a carload at River Road Park and Kankakee Community College.

When the racing is done, the Boy Scouts of Bourbonnais' Troop 361 will be helping clean up the mess. This is the second year the Scouts have worked with the races, according to Gerry Sanstrom, one of the adults who came out with the group.

"(The Scouts get) a little entertainment, do a little community service, and make a little bit of money for the troop," Sanstrom said.

There's also another advantage, said Scout Patrick Archer, 12, of Bradley. By helping out, the troop gets in free to watch the races.

"The racing is fun, and there's a lot of stuff to do here like vendors and food," Patrick said.

Another popular activity Saturday was the annual cardboard boat races. Gary Warnick, of Paxton, was one of this year's participants. He came out Saturday with his son, girlfriend and her son.

In all, Warnick's group was crafting three cardboard boats in addition to watching the power boats.

Warnick said he is making a weekend of the races, camping out at the Kankakee River State Park. The highlight of the weekend, he says, "is getting done with the cardboard race so we can relax."
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Mathews' luck continues at Regatta
    09/01/2007, 11:25 pm

Large crowd wowed during Saturday's river races

By Jimmy Street

sports@daily-journal.com

Glyn Mathews' season didn't get off to the start he had imagined, but in day one of the Power Boat Nationals on the Kankakee River, the native of Richmond, Texas kept his recent train of luck moving in the right direction.

Mathews, who came into Saturday's action on the heels of back-to-back wins on the circuit, took pole position for the 20-lap race and never relinquished the front spot, as he led from wire-to-wire to win his third consecutive race and the 2007 APBA National Title.

During the first three races of the season, Mathews was unable to complete a single race because of various problems with his boat.

In one instance, he was bumped and wound up with a hole in his boat. On another occasion he had engine trouble and during his last bad turn of luck, Mathews knocked the front side completely off of his boat.

Yet after his early misfortune, Saturday's SST 120 champion admits that his luck has been changing.

"I had some gremlins, but I've been having some good luck," Mathews said. "We've been running good, but I've had some good luck, too."

Paul Pittman finished second in the SST 120 race and the veteran credited Mathews' driving ability, but also said that pole position played a factor in his inability to catch the first-place boat.

"(The difference) was dock position," Pittman said. "He started on the pole and finished on the pole. When someone is running (as fast as Glyn was), it's hard to get around them."

Kevin Ladd finished in third position behind Mathews and Pittman.

In the latter race, which featured the SST 60 class, the pole sitter again went from start-to-finish leading the pack.

Alex Hernandez, a native of Miami, Fla., gave an impressive showing during Saturday's time trials, he continued to wow the crowds on the banks of the Kankakee with a solid performance in the feature race.

"Things worked out great for me today and it just came together," Hernandez said.

Hernandez, who is in his second year of powerboat racing and his first year in the National category, stated that even though things have been progressing well for him during the season, he wasn't expecting to win Saturday.

"There's a lot of luck involved," Hernandez said. "Things have been going well and consistently getting better, but I wasn't expecting this."

The action on the river will resume today at noon and continue throughout Monday.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

SST 60 correction in spelling

The winner of SST 60 was Alex Fernandez ( correction in spelling as the paper and earlier post said Hernandez) from Miami FL.

Comment

Congrat's Alex! Thank's for bringing home the Gold for Region 5.

Comment

Photo's from Kankakee 07

Follow the link below:

http://daily-journal.com/archives/ph...09-01-07/boats
          HTML Code:

Comment

45 nationals.

mendana
            orchard
            hagerl (amanda)
            schuh
            ott.

Jason Williams was fast all weekend and was in the lead in the final when he apparently hit a buoy and were very gracious in the fact that he thought the buoy was already dislodges but didn't fight it. Both Hagerls were fast all weekend. Chris had steering problems after getting contact with another boat and Amanda drove her way to her first podium!!!! Orchard should still be on top of ptt points Go #97(19)

sst 120 worlds

pittman
            mathews
            ladd
            fox
            merleau

Lots of Beating and banging all weekend with amost 100 laps of racing!
            Lick ran fast but had boat damage. Mathews had to borrow a boat for heat 4 after having his recked in heat 3. Congrats to pittman as he ran strong all weekend and I think was the only boat not to have any boat damage all weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X