44xs engine on a sst45 boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44xs engine on a sst45 boat

can you run a 44xs or a old mercury with a quicksilver lower unit on a sst45 boat. I know you cant race SST45 with these engines but is the lower unit about the same height? What engine would be faster?

I always thought the Merc 44 xs and the New Bass Tohatsu D motors would work good in OPC. The Tohatsu might be alittle faster but both should be close to each other in speed.
    The Merc would look like a mini Champ boat. And the Tohatsu looks good too. Add power trim and electric start and go!

The transom might need to cut down on an existing 45 boat to work but I really don't know how much. I don't know what 45 guys are running for prop height now. Maybe running the center of the bullet even with the water at running speed. Transom height can very from boat to boat because of the transom setback from the back of the sponsons. The longer the setback the higher the transom needs to be to keep the same amount of prop in the water.
    Mark Nelson

Comment

It is funny you ask this question. I have been told time and time again by others here and on Scream and Fly that a 44xs setup was tried by Mercury when first R&D'd and it did NOT work. The 44 is VERY short and the gearfoot probably will not stand up to the weight of a SST45 boat.

Nevertheless, I have an old Sport C and a aftermarket built 44xs I am going to try together. Had to set back the motor 5 inches off the transom to get it down far enough to even pickup water!!! This boat is just for fun. If it doesn't work, then like Mark Nelson above said, it will look like a mini-champ and we will hang it in my dad's shop or something.

Comment

The gear foot may or not be an issue but I would not trust the swivel bracket......we break them a lot in DSR marathons.

Comment

Working...
        X