45 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 questions

What years are a legal motor for 45? i'm trying to buy some motors to get my 45 stuff running. hopefully someone can help me out quick. i'm down at school and can't find my racing information.
    Chris
    8M in BSR or 8 in 45
    "Here’s the thing that makes life so interesting the theory of evolution states that only the strong survives but the theory of competition says just because they are strong doesn’t mean they can’t get their asses kicked don’t surprised if somebody decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling uncle and then suddenly the old saying goes we’ve got ourselves a game...."

Hi Chris, the 2 cylinder 60 HP was base engine for the 45 race motor. 85-end of production for the 60 HP 2 cylinders are the years to get. 50 HP 2 cylinder blocks (of certain vintages) can also be used with slight alterations. You can also call me if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by David_L6
      That was only one question and I don't know the answer to it. What are the other 44 questions?
      I was about to give a smartalec remark, But you beat me to it David!
      Funny!

Comment

prefered motors

Ron Hill made a comment on subject, he said all motors with a single bolt lifting ring are the good ones , if so it's easy to tell.
        Richard F.
        RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

True

Some are just better than others.

Comment

Thank You Richard...

Bottom Line and most guys that know won't tell...But here is the down and dirty as I know it...

Any two cyclinder with a single bolt lifting ring is LEGAL. And, there ain't a amn thing on a two bolt lifting ring motor that is worth anything except the fuel pump...

There are three blocks series that I know about...One the serial number ends with 207 and is LOST FOAM (Almost all are black blocks), the second one has the last three numbers (The numbers are on top of the block by the head)...of 100, but the 100 numbers are an 1/8 inch high, (Most of these blocks are light blue).. the third and the best are the big 100's, and those numbers are about 3/8 high. (Most of these blocks were the 60HP and are white... All 100's are sand cast, not lost foam).

Now, there are BIG 100's that have small 100 numbers, you can spot the BIG 100's by the boost port size...Your finger will go in a big 100 and it won't a small 100.

The problem, as I see it, with all these blocks is TOTAL BULL S&*T...

Many, in fact most of the 100's, which are all SAND CAST, and have grinding marks in the ports...So, anyone who removes the sleeves can open the boost ports more, on a sand cast block, then put new sleeves and they are LEGAL...

If you GRIND on a LOST FOAM block a blind man with a cane can see the grinding marks and they toss your ass...

So, how many 207 block do you want to buy???? I've got 10 or 15.... How many Samll 100's do you want??? I have several... How many big 100's do you want??? Screw you, buy 30 or 40 and get your own....

The "SCREW YOU" is in JUST...I have quite a few AND WILL SELL THEM....

BUT WHY, can't we look at Go karts, a very popular sport, and take a page out of their rule book....They only measure port sizes...not the block behind the ports....

I saw five 207 motors in Oklahoma the other day, I didn't even ask the shop owners if hey wanted to sell them as I have more 207's than I can ever use..in 45...But, I've got a lot of parts for Fat C, the fastest growing class in Boat Racing...

Now, do you want to know the difference in heads? How about crankshafts???

Gordie, feel free to jump in and tell me I'm clueless...but I am learning...This is only our second year in 45 and we only have 36 powerheads....

Isn't it "LEFT TURN CLYDE"????
            Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM.

Comment

so if you were to put a price on any of those blocks, what would the magic number be. and if i'm buying blocks, what else are you selling, i could have gotten three blocks with nothing. which doesn't help me that much, since i would be missing cranks and rods. The plan this summer is to have two rigs at every race, but at this point we have two of everything but no spares. I think we have 3 props, but i have some i can test. What about towers? can i take a stock one and cut it? if if i was to do that what lenght should the stock tower be? Here is something else i'v been told to do but i don't think so. Foam in the gas tank to keep it from splashing? why and wouldn't the foam restrict the gas flow. trim, any tricks to keep it from leaking, and how do i tell which trim pumps are the fast ones? the one i had on my boat last year was slow going up, i mean real slow, but the new boat is fast, at least i think. i'll have more questions as i start spring break this week.
              Chris
              8M in BSR or 8 in 45
              "Here’s the thing that makes life so interesting the theory of evolution states that only the strong survives but the theory of competition says just because they are strong doesn’t mean they can’t get their asses kicked don’t surprised if somebody decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling uncle and then suddenly the old saying goes we’ve got ourselves a game...."

Comment

Ron,

Do you have any big 100 blocks...possible complete motors?

Rob

Comment

'scuse me

Ron, i didn't mean to offend , the only reason i said anything about 45motors was because i am int. in your fat c and it was mentioned that motors were the same.
                  I mainly like mod OB but don't think i'll fit in one of those.
                  On the other hand a fat c could be run somewhere on LOA no matter which way the wind blows.
                  RichardKCMo
                  RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

now i have anther question to go along with the ones i've already asked. What is the difference between a two bolt lift ring and a single bolt? Does that mean a two bolt lift ring isn't a legal motor?
                    Chris
                    8M in BSR or 8 in 45

Comment

45ss

I a dealer guide that that i have says 45ss motors were only made 4 yrs 87-90,sure got popular in that time it seems. I thought they were around way before that.
                      Richard F.
                      RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Richard...

You post too often and too well for me to be mad at you. I just thought secret in ra ing, in a FAMILY SPORT, shold be shared.......I have a 45 driver in my family that isn't quite so sure....though... ........well he can't believe I told the whole F*&^ing world about 45 blocks....

As near as we can tell, the two bolt lifting ring motors only have fuel pumps that are usable...I just junk them for scrap aluminum...pistons are different, crank and all the electrical are different...even the pans are too heavy...

The going rate for a big 100 is $450...in condition to be bored...

Right now, Bill Curtis and I have 14 Fat C Motors to build, not sure I'll have complete powerheads for sale, but e-mail me at prop19@sbcglobal.net for anything about 45 parts...OH, misread..Yes, some complete 45's for sale....but don't puch me too fast...I have three complete and two on the line...either of the ones on line, if they come through I'll sell.....But, they will be $3,000 and not .030 and not have the big propshafts...

A new gearcase from Sea Way, in parts is $1,500 plus labor to put it together and labor to shape...Keep that in mind...But we have 400 racing laps on ONE GEARCASE...just an FYI!!!! We also have 400 racing laps on our one powerhead and we finished 2nd in the 45 SS Nationals, yesterday, at Bakerfield...So, treated right, stuff in 45 will last for a long time..Unless you have no oil in the gearcase, then NEW GEARS WILL RUN ONE LAP...I KNOW...TRUST ME...When Chad says, "Dad, check the oil the gearcase."...He really means "FILL THE OIL in the gearcase." They cost about $550.00 per set...

What I'm looking for is NITRO GEARCASES for 40 to 75 HP...as these are my gearcases for Fat C, THE FASTEST GROWING CLASS IN APBA!!!!

Maybe, it was RIGHT TURN, CLYDE!!!!
                        Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-06-2006, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill

Isn't it "LEFT TURN CLYDE"????
                          I thought there may be some confusion there. That's a line from an old Clint Eastwood movie, "Any which way but loose". But for this format, maybe I SHOULD say, "Left turn, Clyde."
                          Last edited by jeff55v; 03-07-2006, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Great Movie But I Get Confused...

The grandmather was the the STAR....as I recall..with her shot gun....Some movies should be required viewing for living....

Let me get down and diry with you all...

Does anyone really know how to rebuild and put together 45 SS carbs? Seems we may have a ot of parts..and the truth is, everything is SoCal is going four stroke, so 2 strokes are cheap....but we are struggling with carbs....

Our one problem is...after warm up, they still must be HAND choked to start... What the HELL???

Let me go "OFF" here.. We have raced 400 hundred, 37 second laps, and some one mile courses with ONE gearcase and ONE POWERHEAD. Our one powerhead bought off E-Bay for $263.00 (INCLUDING FREIGHt) AND IT WAS .030, (who knows why..) WE DID PUT new PISTONS, BUT WE RACED THAT ENGINE ALL LAST YEAR, AND MANAGED A SECOND IN THE Nationals, LAST WEEKEND, WITH IT.

Last weekend's race we got 16 laps in with 45 SS and 45 laps in with SST 45....61 laps of racing for a 250 entry fee...a FRIGGIN BARGIN.... One motor, one gearcase, two props....

A great weekend of racing....

ADD: Carb help welcomed!!!!
                            Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-07-2006, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Hi Ron

Your scratching the surface of the secrets, keep up the good work. E;mail me again with a list of the SPECIFIC parts your looking for, I'll see what I can do. Hey Chris, FYI, you can't EVER stop any boat from leaking. That's why there's drain plugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X