45ss on a hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45ss on a hydro

I'm getting ready to put a 45 omc on a D mod hydro. I'm not going to race it. Just to run around the lake with it. Wondering if any one has done this. Just looking for a little feed back.

Jerry Weinandt ran the 45SS in FE when it came out. He set a record with it. He should be on this sight under Trident Racing

Comment

Yes. There is a picture in the current AOMCI magazine of a Marchetti Hydro and 45SS.

Sincerely,

Doug 87P

Comment

I have the original 45ss Manual that was written with the Hydros in mind. I'll try to scan it and post it here this weekend
        Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

The first year the 45 class was run in Stock Outboard on hydro's and runabouts. They were very fast. In the 90 mph range. Due to the weight of the motor and the speeds they were seeing right out of the box, the following year they were put on tunnel boats. The rest is history.

Comment

So the 45s never came with power trim. That has always been an addon? Did they use electric start on the hydro's? Now you got me thinking is a D-mod hydro even big enough?
            Last edited by tim king; 03-10-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madstork View Post
              yes. There is a picture in the current aomci magazine of a marchetti hydro and 45ss.

Sincerely,

doug 87p
              what !!

Comment

Bill,

January 2021 Antique Outboarder last page of the color pictures top right. Caption, "Texas Meet: Evinrude SST45/Marchetti Hydroplane".
                It has been in the magazine before. I wish I could post the picture.

Sincerely,
                Doug87P

Comment

Tim you have contacted me and I’m still in the process of getting my D class and 45 set up. Same as you I’ll run around the lake with a couple other like minded “seniors”. I’m sure adrenaline will be a big factor once on the water. I must say that I do need to visit here more often as the experience, depth of knowledge and willingness to share is enlightening. Greg

Comment

Maybe not like you...we are a couple seniors that still like to have a lot of fun

Comment

I did quite a bit of driving a 45SS hydro for OMC, built them a boat that they took to races and let people run if they signed a release and also built the boat Jerry Wienandt ran. He was extremely fast in D and E Mod Hydro withe speeds in the 90s. A box stock 45 on a similar boat would run high 80s but the larger gearcase made for modest handling issues in corners so you had to be more careful. No power trim or electric start. OMC did make a few dual pickup ignition mag plates so you could pull start it with low timing, then manually switch to standard timing - not necessary with electric starter but a good idea if you don't want the battery and starter hassle in a hydro.

Comment

Tim I’m ready to put the 45SS on my D stock. Have you got yours set up? I’ve been told to center it on the transom for better cornering or center it to the boat for more straight line performance. Suggestions? Greg

Comment

And good comments team b&h, thank you

Comment

If anyone would like info on installation and setup of the the 45SS OMC motor on a hydro, feel free to contact me at tridentracing@new.rr.com

Jerry

Comment

Was a legal engine in SEH with the AOF racing sanction mid 80's. Superfast!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X