45SS powerheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45SS powerheads

"if" one was looking for powerheads to use/built for the SST45 class, what years/HP would that person search for, if that person was looking at "fishing" type powerheads???? NO, I am not getting out of the stock classes......just looking for some info.......
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

What year(s) did OMC make the 45SS? (I think they came out in 1986.)

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

45 stuff

Basically any 45ci block 86 or newer is legal. The older ones which are the same style seem to pass inspection too... If you are looking for the most racing type parts from a fishing engine, look for a mid to early 80's 60hp. Many of the 50's have the correct head and carbs, but all of the 60hp's had the correct head. If you can find a short shaft, you'll even have beginning of a racing exhaust housing. There is some alteration that is needed to make certain parts "racing" parts, but nothing too difficult.

Comment

45 stuff

Is thier a certain mod. or s # range to look for in desirable motors, how about 3cyl motors?
        RichardKCMo
        RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

It really doesn't matter what serial numbers you run. There have been good and bad motors from about every series made. It's all about a good straight tight bore and loose crank train, just like any other class. The "experts" will tell you that you NEED a 326100, and that a "big numbers" 326100 is better. If you're into mod stuff, just get some new sleaves, straight rods, and a good crank then go to town.

I hear that blueprinting the replacement sleave ports and making them look like factory original is the easy way to get a good motor. Those "amazingly close to spec" motors motors seem to be break a lot though... or maybe it's just coincidence? Plenty of broken ones from this past season.

-Kevin

Comment

Numbers, numbers, numbers and I don't mean serials. The only ones that matter are the internals. The 45 is a good one for FE Hydro due to it's low center of gravity. The 1980's 50 fish motors are great for conversion. One thing to keep in mind is the cranks are basiclly the same, except for the price. If you Mod the motor or keep it stock the flywheel needs to be checked for balance they tend to shear the crank.

Comment

Single Bolt Lifting Ring

The way I find 45 blocks, and we now have 10-15 good ones... is look for two cyclinder OMC Motors with the lifting ring that has a single bolt...I think, ever two cyclinder with a single lifting ring is a legal block...

Anyone needing a block, I'm sure I could spare one. We raced most of the season on one motor, still have two fresh motors that haven't been broken in yet....

AND an FYI: I had heard rumors that the NEW RODS were .010 longer, so I bought a set...At first, we thought they were .003 shorter, after careful checking, they are the same as the old ones in just about every way...weight, and length... That is not to say if you bought 50, you couldn't find a longer set...

Bill Curtis and I are making patterns for the saddle and clamp brackets....we have several mid sections (Housing), we plan to be able to supply complete motors for 45.. Sea Way has complete gearcases, powerheads are everywhere, just need the complete mid section...

I've bought a bar in Needles, stop and see me if you drive through Needles...

Rin Hill www.boatracingfacts.com

Comment

FYI: Bill "POP" CURTIS

Bill Curtis just bought twelve (12) cherry 45 powerheads....all small or big 100's, all fresh water... I don't think he needs all 112...He has not talked about selling them, but if you needed a powerhead to work with...714-835-1540 is our shop number...(Bill and I split the rent...)...or call my cell 714-608-7147...

Comment

Working...
                X