sst 45- 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sst 45- 60

I'm curious as to how these boats handle around the course, and the difference between the two classes in speeds... Do the 45's only run the omc? Thanks!
    Shawn

Both SST-45 and SST-60 run OMC engines. SST-60 is about 5 mph faster and is a little tougher to handle through the turns due to the larger gearcase and propeller. It is really a personal preference. Cost is about the same.

Comment

Is it possible to use another engine besides the 45ss Johnson/Evinrude 50hp just to get a feel for the boat until a motor can be found?
      Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by xcelerator View Post
        Is it possible to use another engine besides the 45ss Johnson/Evinrude 50hp just to get a feel for the boat until a motor can be found?
        Not really since they are both short shaft motors with a racing gear case which in no way resembles the handling of a stock fishing gear case. Also the height of standard fishing motor mid section with throw the entire set up off.

Actually I might be wrong about the 60 mid section perhaps one of the current 60 drivers will chime in. What boat and what motor did you have in mind? if the boat is a true SST45 the transom will be cut to low for any standard fishing mid section anyway.

You would stand a better chance with a 60 hull which uses a taller transom. For example if you could find and old Sport E motor better know as a Johnson 75 or Stinger that would get you some seat time until you put your hands on a true 60 motor. The only problem is the Stinger motors are so rare you might have to pay more for a Stinger then you would for a true SST60 motor.
        Attached Files
        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

I have a complete, race ready 45 engine available for sale.

Joe Johnson
          HydroC139@aol.com

Comment

I had in mind a 55h/mod just to run the boat, by no means any fishing equipment. I'll first have to get my hands on a true boat, then take it from there. I have my heart set on this rig (45sst) but it will take time, due to finances...
            Shawn

Comment

I had in mind a 55h/mod just to run the boat, by no means any fishing equipment. I'll first have to get my hands on a true boat, then take it from there. I have my heart set on this rig (45sst) but it will take time, due to finances...
              Keep saving Shawn you will get there, I have seen turn key rigs go for $4000 or less keep an eye on Boat Racing Facts also.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...splay.php?f=36

This rig might still be for sale and worth checking out:

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...ighlight=sst45
              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

I'm pretty sure a 55H is shorter than a 45 ... the 55H is also at a pretty bad horsepower disadvantage to a 60+ hp 45ss. A compounding issue would be that 55H props are made for smaller lighter boats.

I think you'd just plain do better offering the D mod as trade or partial trade on a 45

Comment

My dad ran a nissan 50 on his 45 tunnel.It was a 15 inch motor but he still had to build the transom up.It ran ok and speeds were in the 58-60mph range and it handled so-so.He then got a 45 engine for it and its night and day difference.Listen to the knowledge on this site and get a 45 engine my dad got his for $3500.00.You will be glad you did.Speeds with the 45 engine was 71 mph right off the bat.Good luck.
                  Bob

Comment

Thanks for the insight, I'll run what I have now and save up for down the road... I'd really like to run a 45sst just to see how they run. Used to CSH. Anyone in new england plan on some practice heats in the spring ??
                    Shawn

Comment

What is that motor to the left past the 45ss?
                      Shawn

Comment

That's a 49.9 cu.in. 75 HP engine (short shaft). A popular powerhead in FEH.

Comment

Shawn,

Contact docknewton@aol.com. I think he lives up there in the northeast somewhere. He has a 45 that you may be able to get a look at. I don't think it is for sale, but you may be able to swindle a test drive out of him. He posts on BRF as well, so you can find him there too.

One thing I found different from open cockpit racing is once the lid goes down, it is a totally different feel. No wind and you hear all the rattles of the boat.

Good luck,

Steve.
                          Last edited by RabidGatorFan; 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

One other thing to consider when you talking about running a 55H or a fishing motor on a 45 or 60 SST hull...
                            OPC boats need power trim.... you tuck the motor down/in to turn and kick it up/out to fly the straightaway.
                            Running an OPC hull with a motor in a fixed kick/tuck position on the transom will not be relevant training, if OPC racing is your goal.
                            Another thing to understand...you must wear restraint belts in an OPC cockpit for good reasons.
                            First, OPC boats corner hard...they generate far more lateral g's than any stock or mod outboard can. Without belts, you would be hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life...at which time you will discover you are too busy hanging on to keep up with your steering.
                            Second, because you are restrained in the cockpit and because OPC boats can and do "blow over", on-board oxygen is a racing requirement..
                            That "up" trim button under your thumb will get you going fast ... right up to the point of take off. Just sayin'.
                            All that said, OPC racing is great.
                            Typically, very well run regattas.
                            Plenty of speed and competition.
                            Lots of seat time...Usually run two - 10 or 15 lap qualifiers... the Finals are typically 20 or 25 laps.
                            You can find an RTR 45 for $5K or less. It won't win the Nationals, but it will give you plenty of fun and meaningful seat time..
                            If you don't hurt it, you could probably sell the rig a year or two later for what you paid for it. Or close to it.
                            Check the APBA sanction schedule and find an OPC race to attend. Take the weekend to see what it is all about. You'll find the competitors eager to give you their OPC story. (Just don't do it when they are thrashing to get ready for the Final.)
                            Good luck...Have fun!

Comment

What is that motor to the left past the 45ss?
                              If you mean the factory brochure photo with 4 engines, then you're looking at the Evinrude "Sprint". It's the later year 15" shortshaft, stock decal version of an earlier Evinrude "Hustler" 75hp 15" short shaft.

Comment

Working...
                              X