Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chamboat title will be settled this weekend in Naples

Full article link

ChampBoat racing: Tight points battle will be settled this weekend in Naples Grand Prix

NAPLES — With only this weekend’s inaugural Naples Grand Prix remaining to be run on the Sugden Regional Park’s Lake Avalon in East Naples, Tampa’s Terry Rinker holds a 49-point edge over fellow Floridian Shaun Torrente in the F1 divison of the ChampBoat Series.

Given the level of competition of the national circuit, the 2008 title could come down to the final lap of the Naples event.

“It’s not a lot,” Rinker said of his margin over Torrente. “I’ve got to stay in front of him or at least stay very close to him. The difference between first place and second place in the 50-lap final is 20 points.

“Our plan is not to come down there to guard the cushion,” Rinker added. “I’m coming down to win the race. If I do that, I shouldn’t have much of a problem. To not finish the race would be a big problem, though, so maybe there is room for being a little conservative.”

Thanks to months of planning and paperwork carried out by Naples Grand Prix chairman Brian Ohlis, the best in the tunnel boat business will bring their show to county-operated Lake Avalon.

The sharp-maneuvering boats will reach speeds up to 130 mph on the cozy .78-mile course.

“I haven’t seen the lake in person, but whenever we go someplace new we try to do as much research as we can in advance,” said the 48-year-old Rinker, who holds three national titles. “It’s definitely going to be a tight course, which should make for some exciting racing for the fans. The way things are set up, they’ll be able to see everything really well. Some of the racers may not like the tight course, but I do because of the way we have our boat set up.”

Saturday’s test runs, time trials and preliminary heat races will help determine the Sunday lineup. Point are at stake both days.

In addition to the 17-foot, 300-horsepower F1 boats, the ChampBoat Series’ F2 competitors will be on the water as well. Other racing will involve what are called Circle Sprint Boats. There will about 15 F1 and 15 F2 boats and a smaller number of Circle Sprint Boats.

All classes run races individually. They do not mix with one another within a single race.

Since the Naples Grand Prix is the last event of the ChampBoat campaign, the postseason awards banquet will take place Sunday night at the Cedar Hammock Golf Club. Retired racer Bill Seebold, a resident there, has been instrumental in assisting Ohlis in getting the project off the ground. Seebold’s son, Tim, is in third place in the F1 points standings.

The event is being held to benefit a new organization founded by Ohlis called Childspeed. Ohlis hopes to generate revenue for a number of local youth organizations whose children have special needs.

“I know it’s our first time to do something like this in Naples, but I’m hearing people all over talking about it,” said Ohlis, a Circle Sprint Boat owner and veteran racer in his own right. “I’ve been getting e-mails from people from out of state and there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the event.”

Rinker Racing will actually have three boats in the F1 division. Terry’s brother, Randy, will pilot the No. 41 and Bob Dinicantonio will drive the third entry with a number yet to be decided.

The Rinker boats all carry Amsoil sponsorship. Terry Rinker says that while economic times are tough and sponsorship deals in major motor sports circles such as NASCAR are harder and harder to land, the ChampBoat Series appears to have found its own favorable spot in the marketplace.

“I think ChampBoat has an advantage because a sponsor can get into this for a lot less money than a Nationwide Series or Craftsman Truck Series deal in NASCAR,” Rinker said. “Of course, a Cup sponsorship in NASCAR is really up there. I think we have a good little niche and it’s time to start growing because of that.”

Tickets will be $10 for the Saturday action and $20 for the Sunday event. A two-day pass is available for $25. Tickets will be sold at the main entrance of the park.

The gates will open Saturday and Sunday at 10 a.m. The entrance is at the Sugden Regional Park is at Outer Drive and U.S. 41 East.

Parking is $10.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Follow the link below to see a few photos from today in Naples

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...s-florida.html
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Working...
    X