Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlaws of The Long Island Circuit

Courtesy of Pete Voss.

Aaaah the EORC & Riverhead , how i miss it !!

Comment

Many started here,remember banquets with hundreds attending in the 60's. Club meetings with up to 100 members attending. At 14 years old I was at first race and saw Pete Voss's Dad racing in Aquebogue Long Island &he was the King of the Day. The list of racers who started here well Ill name some and others if they wish can add to it.
      Pete Voss, Pete Hellsten, Roy Conklin, Jack Gosman, Bill & Rick Fales, Doug Bindrim, Diane Murray, Dicky Scopinich, Pete Scopinich& dad Mario, Bob Rusnak& son Donald ,Dave Young & sons Mike & Davey, and myself. All I can remember as at 67 brain looses a little. Wow 53 years ago.

Comment

Bill Fales 460 "F" runabout and "Snooky" Charles Staffeldt with his Red Baron earlu 500 Konig.

Picture is there but it will not download? ????will try again, really a cool picture.
        Last edited by Bob Rusnak; 01-07-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Al Lang
          Al Lang commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob, Snooky's (Charlie) CRR would really run for all the weight. When Konig was going to 4 cyls, He was at the Alex nationals and bought 1 or 2 old 2 cyls. Don't know who did his prop work, but, he did pretty well locally. A heck of a nice kid.

And of course the George Luce and company........was up at his new 40' x 60' shop a couple weeks ago!!............Doug Pearsol and Howie Pickerell are still out that way!

Comment

Lets not forget the master of the corners "George Scudder"?

Comment

My brother Alan and I were longtime members. I was the secretary for many years with Pete Helsten as Commodore. I have an old roster of members I could post if I can find it and people are interested.
            Last edited by A/B Speedliner; 01-08-2015, 03:58 AM. Reason: iphone buttons not big enough!

Comment

• raceright
              raceright commented
              Editing a comment
              post it could be interesting

• dlmurray
              dlmurray commented
              Editing a comment
              If you could post - that would be great. Thanks.

I will see if I can find it, should be in one of my tool boxes.

Comment

How about Sue and Tommy Marcell, both APBA National Champions. Their father Joe was a master with their engines, props and he designed boats.

Comment

• A/B Speedliner
                A/B Speedliner commented
                Editing a comment
                Sumi is in California and Tommy some where near Atlanta.

Forgot about Bob Hooghkirk, one of the many from EORC that were National Champion's.

Comment

• Al Lang
                Al Lang commented
                Editing a comment
                Those were the good old days of racing. We had a great group of guys and a couple of young ladies. Do have to say that the club did produce their fair share of national champs in both stock and alkies and probably a couple of mods. In later years, after my time, they did manage to find some calmer sites where they could run hydros.My time of running was from 1955 to 1970. It was a great time of my life.

Originally posted by dlmurray View Post
              Courtesy of Pete Voss.
              For a readable copy of the article Outlaws of Long Island start on page 8

http://www.boatsport.org/magpdf/bsv13.pdf
              Last edited by ZUL8TR; 01-11-2015, 06:45 AM.
              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• DeanFHobart
                DeanFHobart commented
                Editing a comment
                Readable copy also available on "BoatRacingFacts.com"........................

I remember reading somewhere that awhile back there was a race help in montauk pt somewhere. Anyone know that location of where it was held?

Comment

The 1931 Gold Cup race was held on Lake Montauk

Comment

• Al Lang
                  Al Lang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The NJ outboard group held a couple races in East Hampton back in the 40s. I believe they did hold a race in Montauk back in the 30s.

Originally posted by 36run69n View Post
                The 1931 Gold Cup race was held on Lake Montauk
                thanks. Wasnt sure what year and what was racing. Found this video. They ran three 30 mile heats in 1 day. Pretty cool http://m.hamptons.curbed.com/archive...ke_montauk.php

Comment

Some old EORC articles

Comment

Working...
                  X