Earl Wham, Miss Marion Bluegrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earl Wham, Miss Marion Bluegrass

Named after one of the boats sponsors seed companys product, the winningest 7 liter that I know of was stolen. Earl himself had a great racing tale to tell that I will try to relate for those missing the Christmas party at Brents.
    It seems at the Miami Beach Regatta in the 70s, after winning the event, the awesome yellow boat was stolen from a parking lot, while chained to a light post!
    Upon calling authorities, Earl was told its probably somewhere North in the Everglades and would never be recovered so you might as well go home! That was not the right thing to say to Earl and his crew, especially if you know him.
    You see, Earl doesnt get pushed around much and had met some influential friends down South, one being a friend of the Governor! After speaking with his staff, and mentioning his new friends name, multiple helicopters took off to search for Miss Merion Bluegrass!
    Quickly, the call came in that she was found! In the Everglades, a bright yellow boat had indeed been spotted from the air, less engine. That being the omnipotent Blown Fred Rogers built 160mph engine named 'Kong'. Named for its monster like power!
    Six weeks after the hull was towed 3000 miles home to Washington, Earl got the call he never expected to receive. Kong was found sitting next to a Florida expressway, with a note: "This came out of a yellow hydroplane stolen from a Motel parking lot, so please call off your friends"!
    The only thing missing on the long block was one rocker arm! However the supercharger and Hilborn injector was still missing!
    Another call came. The other missing items had been located on a Dragster in competition somewhere on the East coast! Its owner-driver said he had bought them from a guy named 'Smith'. That story didn't wash! After Earls new southern friends removed the serial numbered parts, his car was set afire!
    Months and even years later, yellow race boats, were SAFE anywhere in or around the State of Miami!

I watched a ton of limited boats race in the Northwest from the late 60-70's and Miss Marion Bluegrass always finished second to my favorite limited of all, The Record 7 with George Babcock. He set many a record and love racing on Green Lake in Seattle. I have many a picture of that boat in Polaroid. To bad SIR was Georges down fall.

I remember a Le Mans heat race at Lake Samamish for all the class winners for the weekend. The drivers ran down and jumped in there boats and took off for three laps . Of coarse the Jones boys with there flat bottoms were off and running. George had trouble getting his blown motor started and was almost a lap down. He flew and caught everyone by the last turn and won. What a display of speed and the will to win!!!!

Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I do indeed vaguely remember, as a child, the Miss Marion Bluegrass, the Record 7, and many others racing in the mid 1960's at the nearby, and now crumbling, Miami Marine Stadium. I also remember reading in the paper about the theft, the recovery of the boat, but didn't know the engine was also recovered.

Comment

Well

I wasnt there, but I thought this boat dominated! Am I wrong to assume? That never happened before

Comment

this boat is being recreated somewhere in Seattle. A Kellison, Kelson, hydro builder ? Too cool, I got the motor, can I drive??

Comment

159+

Earl Wham & Miss Marion Bluegrass at the Devil's Lake kilos. Earl ran Miss Marion Bluegrass through the traps, as he finished the return pass the blower belt broke and the boat came to a stop. I went to tow it in. Earl asked how fast did he go? It was 159 I said, sure that wasn't 149 said Earl. No it was 159, they want you in inspection! Then Earl got excited, he told me with the gearing, prop & RPM, they calculated that it would go 160.
            They hit that one on nose! That was about 35 years ago.

Darrell Sorensen

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkizoid View Post
              this boat is being recreated somewhere in Seattle. A Kellison, Kelson, hydro builder ? Too cool, I got the motor, can I drive??
              Don Kelson had the 7 Liter Annie's Dodge in his shop in December to take the lines off. The Miss Marion Bluegrass and Annie's Dodge were built to the same design though they did have different cowlings.

Comment

Well

I cant keep this a secret anymore! Earls 7 liter is being recreated at this very shop with Fred Rogers son spearheading the project to perfection! WOW The unique European nose molds have been found I am told so the boat will be as close to the original as possible! Earl was at the recent Moses Lake event with his pals including Drew Backlund!

Comment

Working...
                X