Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowsodium View Post
    Mocked up steering.

Do you have a picture of the bottom of your boat where the rudder goes thru. I have a single seal stuffing box inside the boat and thought there should be some kind of plate on the bottom of the boat between it and the rudder but dont have anything here.
    Mel one of your plates should have 1.5" hole in it ,it becomes your washer that your countersunk bolts come up from bottom of boat through hull, and up through your rudder log. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by E-MOTION; 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave over and out!!

Comment

Mel

I've recently seen variations of this. I guess you would like to know what keeps the edges of the rudder from grinding on the boat bottom or as Dave mentioned grinding the cav plate surface. Could be both. I have seen bushings with 1" Id and outside id being that hole in the plate. This acts as a spacer so the front and rear sharp edge of the rudder cant damage anything. Also, I have seen some guys grind an angle in those blade edges to not interfere or touch the hull or plate. (hard to believe, but I have one) Rudder height, of course, you set inside the boat but these mods prevent a sudden upward-skyward rudder travel, either from a hit while on the trailer or damage caused by hitting something in the water. Either way works and often I see claw-like scrapes in the alum cav plate from rudders. BAD! This would cause the rudder to bind while trying to steer the bloody thing!
      Remember, to check clearance between the plate and rudder in the full down position as it could be while in a fast turn, but usually the rudder is far enough forward so this would not happen since most plates are pretty non-movable where the blade goes through. But, you see it often during tech.

Thats all I know about that, maybe more from someone else???
      Life and boats can be similar to a box of Chocolates, you never know what you are getting!!!!(into)

That's a sharp boat!

Comment

E-motion

Dave, he needs help in determining where safety collars go, we have never had such a steering amoung us.... and all those steering pivot bolts! Double nut or cotter key at the very least, you agree? Maybe two rudder collars, one above the support and one below the keyed arm?? Hope there is NO play in all this linkage. Very interesting set up but we cant set toe in or Caster (or could you) on a rudder to remove understeer tracking. Call Ed Sneva??

Comment

We got Snow

Nope, no 4Loco for Greg! He is just into this project & I want him to finish sanding so I am not complaining about the dust mess all over my Rayson-craft. Come on out anytime you want, I worked in town today & the drive wasn't too bad.

Comment

Dave

Way cool seats, thank-you! And for the resin too, it will come in really handy as you can tell from the photos.

Comment

new boats

Your right Boyd lots of old boats going together and were all gonna have to look at this stuff.
              Dave over and out!!

Comment

An ah ha moment. The "plate" I was looking for turns out to be the cavitation plate. It all bolts thru that.

Comment

Acquired

a different water pump, Mike Kuhl made a stacking version so now I can bolt on the injector pump to the water pump as a single unit driven off the cam. That fits onto a Cragar two piece timing cover, so off comes the oil pan! Great buy or I could not affort it.

Comment

It's started

On the rotisserie for its bottom check. Sure exciting to see the actual running surface, kinda like kicking the tires or seeing it there is actual tread left so you can drive fast! No one, of very few do this. After the Aquacraft debacle you learn! Thanks Jim for the loaner tool!
                    Attached Files

Comment

More

Quite concerned knowing so many items were bolted thru the floor of the boat, gas pedal, fuel tanks and who knows what the other holes were for. Someone, in its past who re-rigged the boat from ski boat to possible race boat did a great job as far as I can tell. They moved the strut, remounted the motor onto engine rails so its easily moved. Changed fuel tanks, and filled the former tank holes correctly, and I know this since there is no delamination around the bolt holes. The white color is the actual original gel coat, the black is its third paint job that will have to do if I intend race soon. This boat's condition does prove to me its a better candidate for the 800 horsepower than the boat you see resting beside it in the above photos. All the black over spray has been wet sanded and the white will be buffed to a high gloss.
                      Next, the hammer test!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Also

Very happy to see the large stainless drop through turning skegs very much like the beisemeyer hardware. However, they are leaking!!
                        Today, the hammer test revealed some delam that should take about 3 days to fix. It's minor compared to the other project and this could have been present when the boat came out of the mold in 1970! Technology back then just isnt what it is today, now vacuum bags are used for a better wood glass bond!
                        Delam will be addressed with West Systems epoxe, injected with a horse syringe 45 cc at a time! The holes are filled with golf tees then beveled and reglassed. I tip the boat while injecting so resin runs into the effected area and all air is forced to the high side with weights. The actual fiberglass skin over the wood is app 3/16 to 1/4 inch.
                        The wood tailings are nice and light colored which indicates no water had penetrated this area to rot and jeopardize the woods strength.
                        I suspect lots of boats in use have this condition since every boat I have flipped displays this potential problem. That's a jerks opinion of course.

Comment

Boyd how much hook is in the bottom? you should check from the plate forward to see what going on with the bottom. and with the old water pick-up hanging down like that it's really going to help you make a left hand turn! It makes a nice pivet point
                          Last edited by boatguy222; 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Sweet

Awesome! Will have to come over & check it out. Greg sanded on my Eliminator for 4 hours today while I was at work. I wish my boat was in as good shape as yours. Mine is definitely a resurrection project.....one day at a time

Comment

Boat needs repairs

Restoring takes time and cash. Ask someone that has done a bunch of the old fellas--------Boyd.

Comment

Marissa, Jimi

Yes, it takes money; wood golf tees 5.99, epoxe kit 38.00, plastic gloves by the boxes 6.49, sharp drill bits 39.95, sandpaper 38.00, Feather Fill 68.50, Bosche sander 79.99, plus spare mikita 29.95, Acetone 9.90, syringes 11.00, .......am I up to the price of a new one yet? Or Jeffs hondo?
                                I think I am just slightly over the price of a flower pot, so if it dont float, into the back yard it goes with the others!!! Maybe a raised garden, thems seem quite popular nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                X