Why oh why do we race......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why oh why do we race......

aging rough water unfriendly flat bottom 'Screw In' boats not all designed or intended for circle racing???

Because of THIS!
    It happens at every AOF Outboard race 5 times a year!

Anyone know the tentative schedule?

A

Family affair! If you dare to invest a little labor and savings, your boat and family will be very welcome! We are NOT the serious, faster, & more dangerous flats you may have heard of! We are 'Outlaw Nostalgic Circle Boats'!

Comment

Old and newer

1962 Rayson to 1976 Sangers and more.....

Comment

B class

family:

Comment

A class

competitors:
          Sanger & Lavey Craft

Comment

And

We were the first to offer Vintage hydroplanes a place to play.

Comment

WHY DO WE RACE.... cause we love every friggen moment when we hear a V8 engine crank up THAT'S ONE REASON WHY.

Another is, just hearing that mutha honk on down the line BIG TIME!!! YEAAA AHHHH!!!

No whisper-smooth 6 cylinder in-line sitting there idling so smooth you could balance a nickel on the transmission......no no no NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

N freaking O!!! uh uh.... we wanna hear that cam shaft causing that mutha to lope-d-lope-de-lope..ruddddnnnnn rudddddennnnn WHAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRWWWWWWWWWWOWRRR!!!!!

Yeah!! that's part of why we race.

The other part is.... blowin the #%$&^^*@ doors off whoever challenges ya.

Am I wrong here?

UH UH.... cause if you think I'm wrong, then YOU're the one who's F (frank) U (uniform).

Alex

Comment

And

Its a place to learn how to race affordably and with mentors working beside you. This guy and many others have become quite good! Here his boat did not handle worth beans!

Comment

There

Ram95 had another reason that might apply.
                  He tried running for Congress as a Democrat but just didnt hit the registration deadline. Saved his money and is buying a flat bottom to come race with us!!Please, a little political correctness can we please?

Comment

politically incapacitated

Originally posted by Jerkizoid View Post
                    Ram95 had another reason that might apply.
                    He tried running for Congress as a Democrat but just didnt hit the registration deadline. Saved his money and is buying a flat bottom to come race with us!!Please, a little political correctness can we please?
                    What I meant was....
                    But, just so you know, back in 1960 I used to subscribe to Hot Boat magazine (I think that was the name) before colored photos were on the pages. I read those mags cover to cover wishing I could be around those boats running out in Long Beach CA. But, I had to settle for a rideing in a friends Glen L design 12' flat bottom runabout with a 35 John-rude that would pound your brains out.

I'm glad you guys are keeping the sport alive.

At the moment, I've got a Cougar 21 with a 250 optimax that I'd trade for a Jersey Speed skiff. I'd opt for one of your flat-bottomed Sangers or something similar but the Kennebec River is no place for them or Cougars. Jersey skiffs or Donzi's will work tho.

Alex

Comment

This is why we race!
                      Attached Files
                      Wendy McCourtie Smith

Comment

Alex

Not slamming you at all, your post was quite funny and you fell right into my trap! Sometimes one has to post incomplete and controversial to get responses. You nailed it right on the head for most of us: its the sound!
                        Being a drag racer I was denied the incredible sound of more than 2 bad motors straining and belching loud noises underWOT! The sound of 6X8cylinders firing at seemingly syncopated harmony is just that to my ears! Rump,Roar,Rump.....no words can describe it!
                        The hydro folks know this very well and often spectators comment on the difference between the two power sources.
                        To each his own.I think the blend of both sounds adds variety for increased interest and entertainment value. Got all kinds of likes and dislikes in this World but add to the noise a good announcer & there is the difference from a boring race to the very exciting. No doubt about it. And no one announcer is a fan of both so we often trade microphones to keep what crowd we have informed and most important: they feel a part of the action!
                        Finally, Alex you could teach me a few things I am sure! Fly over for vacation!

Greg must have new discs of current photos, anyone have some? Teresa?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Alex

The boy in the white suit and white boat is also named Alex. He represents the new Amateur Flat class! This is from our last race at Waites Lake 2010.

Comment

The boy in the the Blue 199-M is 11, he is my son. He set a record at Kilo's last year, a record at Dayton this year, and is high point Champion in JH this year (as far as APBA says). I guess my point is, it is about the kids, the families that know each other for hundreds of years, and that Colin will know his friends' grandchildren before he is out of racing (when he dies of old age!) God bless all racers no matter what class or category we race! Love the smell of 2 cycle engines, 4 cycle engines, inboards, outboards, etc... Born into it, always will love it!
                            Wendy McCourtie Smith

Comment

yup

well said Wendy! There, she agrees in integration, sort of speak. I am jealous to point, my family likes GoKarts, boats scare them! Maybe just maybe the new boat with awsum looks may spark some interest, but that's a long shot!
                              For now I am happy a Nephew will be racing soon in my old boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X