No announcement yet.

Chargin Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

primer done, Boyd found other problems. grrrrrr! just not going like planned

Comment

It's a boat ..... nothing goes as planned!

Comment

Update

20 hours over weekend and the bow eye and steering is fixed. Today I applied the vinyl ester resin and cloth to the stringer, it had torn loose the last 32 inches forward of the dash.
        Nursing a Smashed knuckle from pounding rusted set collars off but otherwise still smiling.
        Al called to cheer me up while I complained that who ever it was who last worked on Charley's steering, or bow eye should be sent home without pay! And some reckless fool was drag racing this at 90 plus???

Come on guys, the bow eye backing block was split and 'Siliconed' to the glass hull so the stainless eye was tearing thru the glass!! I'd hate to have tie a rope to this to refloat the boat! Bing-a-Bong...Who-be-Whatskee..just Busted thee?

Lastly, The steering pulley mounts would wiggle back and forth including the steering shaft! The deck supports were cracked and loose plus when cable steering was installed, no one filled the larger mount holes from the push pull system in the dash.

I guess the lesson is, before planning on dropping the mill in and mash the gas, start from the bow eye and rebuild your way back to the rudder......or

Comment

I guess the lesson is, before planning on dropping the mill in and mash the gas, start from the bow eye and rebuild your way back to the rudder......or[/QUOTE]

Heck yes. that's what keeps me from putting my Starfire in the water. I do not trust anything. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. I want to rebuild everything. Paul Casura was bugging me to bring it down to the Team Starfire shop to tear it apart and restore it.

Comment

Sanded again

on floors, what a mess! Silicone, varnish, rusty bolts, etc! ugh....
            Forgot in the above rant that the steering post, little bitty guy 4" long, was held onto the dash with ONE 1/4" stud while the other two were just plain gone! Not broken off, just missing. Threads were OK so they didnt break off and float away, they were never put IN it!!! Ouch.

Hi Kevin, hows ole Paul doing, I should call him, no, he should call me BEFORE I itch and scratch ALL my skin off! and get grumpier!

Comment

Originally posted by stickmann View Post
              I guess the lesson is, before planning on dropping the mill in and mash the gas, start from the bow eye and rebuild your way back to the rudder......or
              Heck yes. that's what keeps me from putting my Starfire in the water. I do not trust anything. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. I want to rebuild everything. Paul Casura was bugging me to bring it down to the Team Starfire shop to tear it apart and restore it.[/QUOTE]

get after it kev. we need guys like you. got to be a hemie out the some where.

Comment

OK Kevin and Tom

Kevin needs Ford power with his heavy boat! You need anything alcohol powered! Injected (Jullian whipped the Seattle boys with this combo) dual carbs or why not tri-power? Kung Foo Art will have a heart attack for sure!

If you notice the floors in this shot, the cav lock out handle is mounted into a 1/2 delaminated stringer. See the white area around the 4 bolts? Now if you go to the other side and see that square mounting blue box (God only knows what this was for made out of 1/2" alum) that area has the same white coloring. So out came the epoxe and wood clamps, and 1/2 dowels, and the hammer, and the grinder, and the glass cloth, and about 20 weekend hours spent starting the total floor restoration......Gee, it looked as if one could just bolt in a motor and go Oh Contrair Michelle my Bell, contrair!

Comment

And what else could happenn?

Casale with shaft release, SOLD (Worn completely OUT). Gears and shaft release are reusable, but who needs a 12 degree box? Ror has it for sale. Lucky I had just purchased another virgin Casale last Fall for $200 thanks to Marc tipping me of its availability. Small drive to Coulee City produce one that still had its original 12% gears and ALL of its original bolts and gaskets! Dont find this too often.

That start button panel will give way to the original drivers seat since Doc returned one of Robbie H. owned sprint car polished one mounted on an adjustable bracket. Charlies' passengers will ride where Kip and Kelly once sat!

Comment

Originally posted by boatgeek View Post
                    Heck yes. that's what keeps me from putting my Starfire in the water. I do not trust anything. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. I want to rebuild everything. Paul Casura was bugging me to bring it down to the Team Starfire shop to tear it apart and restore it.
                    get after it kev. we need guys like you. got to be a hemie out the some where.[/QUOTE]

I have a '63 390 FE Ford in it.

Comment

If ya notice the floor, it looks bad, but other than minor cracking, it should shine with another coat of glass once more, the holes drilled through it were correctly reglassed.
                      Those rusty bolts are a tip off!!!!! All bolts going thru any wood were GRADE 5 mild steel cad plated!!!! Maybe stainless wasn't readily available in 1970s? You know what happens to these dont we!!!! Rust, then ROTTED wood!
                      Yes friends, every hole drilled into the stringers had to be drilled out to hit fresh wood, and plugged with dowels. 3/8 bolts were drilled to 1/2 and 3/4" for the epoxed plugs and 5/16 went to 3/8 hardwood! This makes it difficult to drill back out but 1/2 of them will NOT be used again. In otherwords stuff was moved around and or not-necessary in my humble opinion.
                      Those sling, crane launching brackets will go, to be replaced with seat brackets.
                      Sure hope that shaft log doesnt leak, its the only piece left installed with the skegs. Strut now has stailess hardware.

Oh, dont ask me how the cav hardware to stringer bracing was made, please!
                      Ror took some stringer photos Saturday on his visit and you can see the bolt holes resemble shot gun blasts at close range! Post away buddy!

I guess, I am relating this stuff NOT to insult those who had hands on this incredible boat but to make you all very aware to never judge a book by its cover! From the above pictures, it would appear, to simply primer the chipped spots and drop a motor IN! Contrair My Bell, contrair. How do you spell this Frenchie?

Comment

Anyone know

where the original motor mount went, this aint it!

And, what are those four bolt holes for at the rear deck? fuel filter or pump?

Comment

Oh, look at ths picture of the steering pulleys, see the holes drilled on the top of the stringers? they intersect holes drilled horizontal as w ell and were filled with silicone, not wood plugs! Below that, stringer delamination! Adverse steering quirks friends!d And the big hole where the cables goes thru, NOT glassed wood rot!

Where the stringers attach to the transom, cracked glass covered in 1/8" of grease and oil. Typical but add another hour of repair and 6 oz of epoxe.

Dont anyone, ask me what's taking so long, palease

Comment

Hey Dave

See the cast aluminum rudder brace?! It's staying, Glenwood brand just like all other hardware!

Comment

Forgot

Another back twister, was the area the down pedal was mounted, see the blue silicone that didnt fill the exposed wood holes? This area 6"X6" square had many holes drilled I guess were when the pedal was moved back and forth for driver comfort. And the most important holes, the v-drive mount bolts was rotten also and had to be plugged So, I RE-RIG the entire boat!

Comment

More pictures to follow IF my wife contributes.

Comment

Working...
                                X