X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the old girl home

57 gets polished again.
    Attached Files

The last shot shows Harlan Orrins' signature as the 'builder'. He actually made the mold for these inovative hulls named 'Sharks' around 1968 to compete in all forms of boat racing. So, I am somewhat correct to say something about our only flat left here at my address in the Spokane Valley.

Skip Volk, operated Aquacraft Boats 19141 E. Arrow Highway, Glendora, California and prided himself with making models that, "came about through an aggressive performance promotion program more easily translated as ... RACING"!

statement taken from his brochure from 1966

Comment

Continued:

When I asked Harlan at our 'Racers Reunion Banks Lake Regatta' (no longer on the schedule for SLORA), he identified #57 and said it was a concept he and Skip developed on a restaurant napkin! Inovative features included in this modified Wickens Whirlwind bottom were four front to aft strakes that you can plainly see near the straight edge in the photo. Also, note the dropped chine or outside edge that created a slight gull or air trap still within the legal 5/8 inch APBA rule for concavity (is this a word?) Hydro folks know what I am saying, right?

By the way Harlan and Mary drove 1700 miles to Banks Lake to see old boats actually race! In 2002, no one was doing this any where in the USA! There were shows and gab fests (launch ramp tailgate parties) but no one racing them. Then AOF and Northwest Water Competition tried a class within their Special Class rules and regulations and the rest is history. Now 10 years later, I need to give some credit to the man who started something way big!

With the Sharks out racing marathons, drags, ski races, and circle races and selling on Monday, it was just a matter of time before someone 'splashed' or copied it. Here is the story I have been told and read about. It was even confirmed in a court of law where someone sued another for spashing! This adds a little credibility to rumors, dont you think? Bob Goettle can verify this!

It seems a very successful boat builder named Rusty Beisemeyer borrowed an Aquacraft with a wood deck and did this very thing. Statements from those present stated that only the keel was used and plywood sides squared off a highly modified copy. You can be the judge of that since the photos above reveal a bottom profile very similar to Rustys famous Beisemeyer circle boats synonomous with fast winning flats in ALL classes! I call them b-boats since they (Beisemeyers) themselves have been copied or splashed many times and its hard to tell them apart. Example; 'Spitfire', 'Daytona', 'Revenge', just to name a few and another model called 'BEZER', (another Bezer version-splash made by Ron Brown won Nostalgia in 2002-3 with George Nordling doing the driving) made by Rusty and Jullian Pentengil. Sorry if I misspelled. Then that boat was copied by Ray Brown, I am told.

In conclusion, Aquacraft Shark, designed by Harlan and Skip started a phenomina in circle boat racing. So, I am quite happy to have the original b-boat that I call an 'A-boat'! Not maybe the best, but certainly one of the first in design. Finaly, I must not ignore the creator of the Wickens boats named
      FRED WICKENS who was one of the original HYROPLANE inventor-designers!!

Comment

Cool stuff Jerk, did you get the motor with it?

Comment

Where is the blower!!!!
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

That's a sharp boat. What do we have here... "V" drive?... Casal? Menkins? Lenco tranny?? I see it is an inboard rudder...is that the 12 degree Stellings propshaft strut? It is very nice and an interesting history. I have one that I restored for my dad that I am afraid to drive....and it pains me to admit it.
            Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Aquacraft

Are you going to let me blueprint the bottom, and fix the chines so it will turn?

Comment

Originally posted by DOCSTER View Post
                Cool stuff Jerk, did you get the motor with it?
                The motor needs rods and pistons, still have rods? Bore is 4.310. Manifold and drive arrives Friday or Monday then I can mock it up. Hope we can meet once more in a mutual class.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                  That's a sharp boat. What do we have here... "V" drive?... Casal? Menkins? Lenco tranny?? I see it is an inboard rudder...is that the 12 degree Stellings propshaft strut? It is very nice and an interesting history. I have one that I restored for my dad that I am afraid to drive....and it pains me to admit it.
                  Casale 12 degree with 18 gears, transmission is velvet-drive with reverse! Ten degree Nicson strut with matching Nicson steering, log, and misc hardware. Boat also sports a rare balsa wood floor with narrow stringers, but it still weights 1400 lbs engineless.

Bought the boat out of the newspaper for 2500 running with a tame motor that ran well enough to race 2 years in the wifes boat. I also robbed gears and prop since I merely bought it for parts! Trailer was also robbed for the other boat.
                  Then I sold it to a jet boat guy and installed a small block chevy. He painted it and sold it back to me.

Afraid to drive one, you need to talk to my two time Champion wife! A little courage there Lion!

Comment

Docenstein........

HEY DOC, still have rods? Any amount would be helpful. And, I need a seat! Lost one with the Lavey deal!

Comment

Who is Bob Goetle?

Here you go:

And as I mentioned earlier, one of Bobs' spare hulls with the K28 in the serial number has been found in Montana and currently resides with one of our Flat racers! It also can be concidered as another copy of the Shark.

He was sued for copyright infringement when he copied the Beisemeyer to make 'Revenge' boats, and many have stated that his hull is one of the BEST! In that trial, some facts about the Shark being copied were part of Court Documents. Thanks Bob! And, glad you won in more ways than one!

Not tooting my horn, just presenting facts about some Flat history and we feel very lucky to be the current custodians of #57.
                      Attached Files

Comment

More:

See if this prints and is legible: also a jet dragster racer and airplane racer I believe and hope I quote correctly, Bob stated," K-boat racing is one of the hardest things I have ever done"! If you like, I can find a site link where more can be found of ths legend. Anyone?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Where am I going with this?:

Super chargers have been allowed in APBA for decades. We can run them in APBA Nostalgia Endurance, K race runnabout, Grand National, and AOF Nostalgia Flat as long as we stay under the speed limit rule! Hurray As far as next year, only one or two will even attempt this feat and I might not make it at all, just dreaming at this point. You could send money if you like!
                          Here we are again at Burley taking on the Californians in Nostalgia Endurance, limit: 80.9 mph.

Comment

Zoomies and Blower

an old shot of my favorite and least known about Shark.

Still have mufflers for the zoomiess and the ET4 vintage rims. Just got the boat off the trailer and found some bumps in the bottom that shouldnt be there, I am told. Harlan O. has a steel strut for me and some wisdom to share, thanks Harlan! Mr. Former Farmer is loaning me his boat flipping jig so here goes a jerkbottomblueprinting.

Comment

Steel strut

Hello Boyd
                              The new steel strut is made from an "I" beam, 10 °, cl 6 3/4 deep, 10" barrel, trails the base 5". Base is 5 1/2" X 7 1/2", drilled and tapped with 8 mounting holes. Front of the base is tapered, no recess mount. Let me know if this strut is close enough to use on your SHARK.

The new clone for BANZAI is coming along fine. I have the hull completed. The sponsons are framed. I sealed the inside today. The plywood for the sponsons is cut and ready to install tomorrow.
                              HARLAN ORRIN

Comment

Working...
                              X