NBRA race at Lucas Speedway, Saturday results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBRA race at Lucas Speedway, Saturday results

Well they say there are good ole biggens and big ole goodens, that is what we saw today at Lucas. The course is very tight, but drivable with no more than 6-8 boats on the course. One thing we did learn was that long straights, very short turns, allowed for some of the most competitive hets seen in a long time. No one ran away and hid from anyone, in fact there weere at least 10 heats where the winner either held off the second place boat by mere feet, or the second place boat got around the first place boat right at the end.

This was one where starts were extremely important and being able to circumnavigte around boats who spun or had engine problems was an adventure. Having said all of the above, a hell of a boat race was held in Wheatland, Mo at one of the finest racing facilities I have been to.

Congrats to Jeff Ruth, Art and Keith Kampen, and Dan Crummit for their work, along with a great judges stand with Jack Stotts and Linda leading the way.

The ER kicked it off, and do I mean kicked it off. We had 3 of the 6 competitors spinning in the turns. Jason Sumrall did a wonderful job of getting to the first turn in both heats and never looked back. He had a few problems with engine this morning, but got them worked out and won both heats.

Mike Homfield had a 2/3 in the two heats and did an outstanding job in his first race this year. Putting up with Randy, Mike, is being a winner any way. Keith Kampen finished in the 2nd spot in the heat he finished.

CMH was up next and Braxton Miller continuing some strong driving for his young 15 years. Sponsored by Doc Miller, Braxton showed the veterans how to get it done. He had a first and third to eak out a 25 point win over Rick Miller who finished second. That Chippendale dancer Randy Matthews finished 3rd overall. Randy a retired fireman/Policeman had it going good today.

Novice was up next as Layton Owen and Michael Gray had heck of a race. Gray stole the start, but Layton never gave up and on the last lap, took it home in the first heat. In the second heat both Gray and Owen jumped the gun and Mathhew Dade, driving a steady race took it home.

Ten DMH answered the bell with 2 elimination heats occurred and 6 were taken for the finals.

Birthday Boy, Kevin McAffe took home the title with B to B heat wins as he got great starts in both heats, took the lead coming out of the first turn and was holding on to a good lead over Vernon Barfield in the first heat and Tony Anderson in the other heat, but Kevin definetly had them covered.
    Kevin, Vernon, and Tony for the final finish.

Super E was in fact just that, Super as Lyle Mason the whiley ole veteran, I can say that, as I am as old as Lyle, with a first and second ended up taking the win, with Bryan Tharp and Richard Baze also on the podium. Speeds down the long straightaways was awesome and Lyle knew how to get around the short turns, from all the crazy courses we have raced in Indiana over the many years.

25MH was up next with Rick Miller, who else, taking the title with a first and third, Randy Matthews ending up second, and Braxton Miller was third. Randy went to the prop box in the second heat and found the speed to give him two seconds, while running inside the whole way.

In EMH, Gun jumping took half the field in the second heat, as Kevin McAfee was on his way to B to B heat wins, only to find he was one of the 3 who jumped. That gave the overall win to David Mason as David toured the gravel sideline in the second heat, only to find that he won over all. Jason Sumrall finished second nd Kevin ended up third. HAPPY B-Day KEVIN.

CSH
    Braxton and Rick Miller were the story again an Braxton winning and Rick secon, with Ray Hundley finishing third. It was a heck of a finish in both heats as winning the heat took a lot of work nd finishes were inches in the finals.

DR Jeromy Sumrall with a first and second overall took it homewith Mike Kirkendoll and Randy Aveline finishing in the third spot over all.

AH was all a very tired young man could do to take it all home. Braxton, who else, took both heats. Ray Hundley and Mike Baumgardener traded 2/3 to tie overall.

At three o'clock, my thermometer was showing 105, 90 minutes later it showed 74 as a welcome storm dropped the temprature quickly with a lightening, wind, and rain show. We look forward to great racing tomorrow and hopefully not as hot as today.

Ray

I was waiting for information on the race. I was hoping for a really positive response and looks like it went over great. Hat's off to all that pulled this off. Thank you Ray for the input on the race. Glad all the drivers raced safely so something like this can go on. Boat racing really needs this and hope tomorrow will be exciting and safe. Hope all can enjoy the dirt car racing tonight. ....Bob N-96

Comment

Thanks for the update and results. Glad it all went smoothly. I did read that the car race was cancelled due to weather, bummer!

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Very Nice Recap!
        Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

Sunday

Does anyone know if everyone is OK in the accident with the L7 boat and another boat. I only saw a short clip of the incident.

Comment

Everybody is OK.
            "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a fun weekend!

With a narrow course like that, how's the water? Does it get pretty rough?
              Blue Thunder 55U - Sharky 97R
              sigpic

Comment

How many spectators? What kind of feedback from them?
                Chris

Comment

so how did Sunday go?? Any pictures?
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Temp Sat around 105 Deg. till the storm hit.Spectator count was light due to the weather. Nobody could have possibly survived in the grandstands. They did have a large tent for the fans with seats and, thats were the most people were. We did run a fast program. Started at !2:30 finished at 3:15,just before the storm hit. Really could not have a worse weekend to schedule this due the heat. Track Management was generally satisfied, and commented that they are in this for the long run. Sun was almost the same. Slightly cooler and ended with the threat of more storms.
                    Art K

Comment

Lucus

Great racing facility! Much thanks to all who worked so hard to make this a great event. Didn't do a tarailer count but looked like about 40. Best pit launching area I have ever been to.I don't think I will post the GoPro shots from my sons cam as he spun the D MOD and got run over but will share them with club memebers at other races. The White L-7 needs a bunch of work so we most likely will miss the next NBRA race. Have a bunch of wood work to do and to build a whole new nose section. I might post a couple shots of the boat later on. I can say one thing that Steve Roskowski builds a really stong boat.

Alan
                      Last edited by OldRacerBU; 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                        Great racing facility! Much thanks to all who worked so hard to make this a great event. Didn't do a tarailer count but looked like about 40. Best pit launching area I have ever been to.I don't think I will post the GoPro shots from my sons cam as he spun the D MOD and got run over but will share them with club memebers at other races. The White L-7 needs a bunch of work so we most likely will miss the next NBRA race. Have a bunch of wood work to do and to build a whole new nose section. I might post a couple shots of the boat later on. I can say one thing that Steve Roskowski builds a really stong boat.

Alan
                        So Alan you wont be a Centralia??
                        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Centralia

With a bit of luck we will have the white L-7 back togrther for Centralia. Some tape, a few sticks of wood and two tons of fiberglass. Gathering up the things we need at the present time. Good news is the bottom is in perfict condition so all the work will on the deck and cockpit.

Comment

Too old and too tired

Sorry about not getting anything up last night, heard the air conditioner and the bed whispering sweet nothings, enticing me to sleep.

AH one heat and all about Braxton Miller, fast from start to finish. He has to be one TARD, YOUNG MAN, WAIT, HE's 15, cannot be wore out yet

ER Tony Anderson
                            CSH Rick Miller
                            SEH Lyle Mason, both heats
                            EMH David Mason
                            Novice Michael Gray
                            DMH Kevin McAfee
                            DMR David Mason
                            25mh Braxton
                            Cmh ric Miller
                            That is from memory which is very short, so if wrong please correct. Glad to Alan Van Weel was okay after spinning and Tony Anderson no place to go.

Temp hot hot, although Sat 105 down to 74 in about an hour.

Thanks again to all who worked to put this together

Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray for the great announcing and posting the recap of everything. It is always great to hear you announcing the races... It was so hot that a few times I thought I might bring my EZ up over to your side and just watch the races and listen to you... See you soon.

Rick Miller
                              34-0

Comment

Working...
                              X