Hot Rod Availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Availability

I just spent a delightful afternoon Tuesday discussing the future of the American Hot Rod with Ron Selewach in Tampa, Fla.

Short version of a lengthy discussion and show-and-tell:

Ron will have new Hot Rods available in J, A and B classes this spring for use in the 2005 season. They will be “new” motors complete with newly poured blocks, downhousings and lower units…the first time the smaller kneeldown classes have had a new “out of the box” racing motor available in years. He also plans to make available go and no-go gauges for easy tech inspections.

Now, I think (correct me if I’m wrong…don’t have a spec/tech sheet with me on the road) but these A and B motors will fit right into our classes where we have the Hot Rod placed currently. They are still American Hot Rods and they are still the same specs as what Tom Moulder was building in the Twin Cities. The only difference will be a different carburetor (Tillotson or Mikuni…don’t know which yet) and ignition system (a solid-state OMC system).

Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but for NBRA to approve the J version (A 15-inch A Hot Rod detuned to run competitively (not to blow away or obsolete Y80s or OMC 15s) for our Novice class we’d have to wait until the 2005 national meeting and bring that proposal before the tech committee and the general assembly. IF we did approve the J Hot Rod for Novice racing, we’d begin to solve some of the dilemma we discussed in St. Louis—the disappearance of the restricted Y-80 and the hassle of trying to restrict a 102 to work in Novice classes. Also, it would be a motor that wouldn’t have to have foot work and powerhead work to ready it for the lake.

In addition, Ron is working on some promotional materials to appeal to go-kart and motorcycle enthusiasts to show them the obvious “bang for the buck” in boat racing vs their sports that required many more dollars to successfully campaign for a year.

And, to keep things interesting down the road…Ron is talking of developing a looper version of the Hot Rod…don’t know what displacement, however.

Dan Crummett
    O-49

so no mods have been made to the powerhead, besides the magneto system? i know some people feel that the crank case should be a little thicker, otherwise the B class would be as strong as it was in the 70's. do u know if any thought was put into this?
    just an inquiry since i am a fan of the B class, i just doubt i could keep a hot rod in one piece for as long as a yamato, merc, omc, or whatever other "bullet proof" power head that is out there.
    Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

There definitely is thought going into that very subject. It was specifically mentioned...don't know when such changes will be made.

Dan
      O-49

Comment

Greetings NBRA members

Looks like you've chosen a great individual for President. Dan seems committed to formulating a great racing season. We had a great discussion.

I'd like to address a couple of questions that have been raised here - good questions that I'd guess are on many people's minds. We are committed to supplying parts to support the current motors already out there, as well as providing new complete motors. We are improving the parts for more reliability, adding thickness to the crankcase and beefing it up with increased ribbing. We are developing beefier rods. The crank is also being addressed. Trying to make improvements that will also retrofit to existing motors makes it a little trickier, but it will be accomplished.

I would like to thank everyone for their enthusiasm for this motor and our effort - you won't be disappointed.

We will keep you updated from time to time as milestones are reached.

Ron Selewach
        "Its never too late for a good childhood"

Comment

i hate to be over anxious but is there a estimate for a date these new hot rod engines will be availible?
          Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

Oh, boy, I'm really going out on a limb here, but we are trying to have these motors ready by the Winternationals (APBA) in Ocoee (however its spelled). So much of the patterns, molds, and even prints are missing its really slowing the start-up down. People are even digging around old foundries (some of them have been out of business for years) trying to recover missing tools.

By the way, we have many new parts, common stuff like rings and gaskets, already for sale, if someone is trying to get an existing motor ready, and are adding new parts as they are produced. Check with Cooper Jess to see if we can satisfy your current needs yet.

Ron Selewach 49 F
            "Its never too late for a good childhood"

Comment

Call or email Cooper Jess to obtain Hot Rod parts or check on availability of same. I think Ron is being slightly over optimistic about the availability date
              on engines but we will see.
              good@vbe.com
              920-748-2600
              920-748-7661 (home)

Comment

Working...
              X