• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Place Winners NBRA Nats

NBRA National Championship Boat Racing
    Ponca City, July 18, 2004
    Dan Crummett
    1 1 1 1

PONCA CITY—Sixteen-year-old John Matthews, Pineville, La., took home the top spot in the National Boat Racing Association’s National Championship 102s Hydroplane class here Sunday, in the final of three days of racing on Lake Ponca. The 102s class was the race’s largest competition.

Matthews led a 12-boat field in the first official heat of the competition after race referees forced a rerun of the original heat because of a host of drivers “jumping the clock” in the race’s running timed start. Matthews came back later in the afternoon with another first, to lead Bryan Tharp, Choctaw, Okla., and Matt Schultz, Cedar Rapids, Ia. Rick Miller, Grove, Okla., was forth in the 102s Hydroplane class.

Over three days of eliminations and championship racing, Lake Ponca was home to drivers from Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. Overall, 54 drivers piloted 85 boats in the three-day competition.

In other competition, Choctaw’s Bryan Tharp won NBRA’s championship in the C Hydroplane class, Rick Miller, Grove, won top honors in A Hydroplane, Steve Talley, Tulsa, was top in the B-1 Hydroplane class. Dave Guadanoli, Deville, La. won B Hydroplane.

Keith Kampen, Hazelwood, Mo. was champion in C Runabout; Kevin McAfee, Columbia, Mo., won D Hydroplane; and Ralph Cook, Vicksburg, Miss., was the 2004 champion in E Runabout and SE Runabout competition.

Vernon Barfield, Wellsville, Kan., won both E Hydroplane and Super E Hydroplane titles for the year, and Ty Hebert, Louisiana, was top driver in B Runabout.

Kayla Lund, 9, San Antonio, Texas, won her second NBRA National Championship in the Novice Class in racing Friday.

The Ponca City race was one of two NBRA sanctioned events in Oklahoma this year, says Rick Miller, president of the Oklahoma Boat Racing Association. “We had an excellent race in June in Okmulgee, and the racers were very pleased to come back to Oklahoma for the Ponca City event.”

Miller says both venues are planning races again next season.

END
    Last edited by dcrummett; 07-18-2004, 10:24 PM.

SEH - Burning Vernon !!

Burnin Vernon won SEH ?? Holy Cow !! When did he start running Super E's ??? Also, what happened to Ralph Cook in SEH ?

Sorry, I was out of town for work yesterday and could not see any of the good stuff on Hydroracer.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave,

You didn't miss anything yesterday. I couldn't get on the site. I guess it was down.

Ralph broke.

Vernon was driving a boat out of Texas. I can't remember the owner's name, but he's been around a while. First time that I remember seeing that boat run that well. Looks like he has a the bugs worked out.

Vernon and Burt Hoef's swapped heats and Vernon won on time.

I was surprised that Phelp's 6 cylinder Merc didn't do better than it did. It's usually in the hunt, but it didn't place all that well this time.

Oh, btw... Don't get your hopes up too much. It wasn't Ralph's motor that broke. His turn fin bracket broke while he was going through the first turn of the first lap of the first heat. He was in first place at the time - after starting third or fourth.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Ahhhhh

So his fin broke, I figured somethingmust have happened, to go from the fastest SEH in the country to Vernon winning
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave,

Here's a picture of the Super E's headed for the start of the first heat.

Vernon Barfield on the inside, then it's Artie Lund I think. The V-7 boat is none other than the Buoy Bushwhacker - Burt Hoefs. 73-T is Cleaburn Phelps' boat (not sure who drove). The boat to the far left is Rotten Ralph Cook.
          Attached Files

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

nice pic.

Hey,David so you were taking pics. and didn,t have time to race eh? Didn,t see your name in finish. No problems i hope. Did Kampens take their c chrysler?
            RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Richard,

I was about as prepared to race last weekend as I was prepared to fly to the moon!

I ran E hydro, but I made a serious mistake (all my fault - I know better). I switched lower units and I have never run a Merc unit on that boat since I cut the transom for a short tower. The boat runs great with a Yamato unit on the short tower, but was all over the place with the Merc unit. I couldn't get the motor low enough to get the boat to stop breaking loose. Skeered me! I know what I did wrong and I won't let that happen again.

I took Ralph's C motor instead of mine.... It didn't run very well so I didn't run C hydro. Wouldn't have mattered anyway. Brian Tharpe had the field covered with his Yamato C. McAfee and I both passed Tharpe last year, but Kevin couldn't handle Brian this year. I wouldn't have been able to either.

I tried to run D runabout with one of Ralph's boats and motors, but the motor has a serious problem - it's slow! GPS showed a best of 52.2 mph in testing so I scratched.

Comment

NBRA Nationals

Richard,

We didn't have enough time to get the Chrysler ready to go so we ran the Yamato in the runabout class. Maybe next year we can dig it ou of the mothballs.
                Keith Kampen

Comment

Fiery End to 808

Keith,

You'll be glad to know that 808 went up like a true Viking. Two eastern red cedars on either side... daughter Jill said in 15 minutes it had no recollection of Lake Ponca.

Dan

Comment

Great Boat Racing......

Looks like Boat Racing is alive and well in Ponca City (Lake Ponca).

Congratulations to everyone.

Best Regards,

Dean Hobart
                    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Y-808

Sounds like the boat had a great funeral !!!
                      Keith Kampen

Comment

Yeah, a cockpit full of diesel didn't hurt either!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X