Quiksilver / Mercury Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiksilver / Mercury Panther

Check out Craig's List Seattle under Hydro see the 60 cubic in Merc & Runabout that is listed, Motor has early Quicksilver

Link here
    I have no history on this motor. The motor is made up of a variety of Mercury parts. It has a 60 cu. in. Merc power head, 12' mid section , 78E Transom Clamps, and a 1960-62 Quicksilver foot. Engine...

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      The gear case looks more like an early SpeedMaster.

Thats not a 60ci motor. Might be an old 44 but a 60 would be a 6cyl

Comment

• pburgford
      pburgford commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your email, comment. I will recheck oldmercs.com vin #'s to verify. Does make sense.

• LarryR
      LarryR commented
      Editing a comment
      The first 60-inch merc was the 6-cyl mark75 in '57, but the original 1963 merc650 was also 60-inch, or 2/3rds of the original 90-inch 1962 merc1000.

bring it over, lets check it out!! Looks like a 650 block...60 cube
    Last edited by mercguy; 11-05-2016, 02:14 PM.
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a 4-cylinder Merc 650 block from the middle-late 1960s to me too. Didn't they displace about 60 cubic inches?

Our pleasure boat motor from 1979 was an 80 horse 4 cyl. and I think it was 66.67 c.i. If I recall correctly,, the 80 4 cy. and the 90 6 cyl.
    ​were the same bore and stroke.

Comment

It's a 4 Cylinder 650. 60 CID. I promise.

Comment

• pburgford
        pburgford commented
        Editing a comment
        OK then. I like the attention, JW

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Merc directed its dealers in the 1960s to prop the 650 to max out at 5200 RPM. For the 44 cubic-inch Merc 500s, we were to prop them to max out at 5800. So the factory must've considered the smaller engine to be more RPM-worthy than the larger engine.

Thank you for the info. Now do you know that the base that sit's on the 12 inch mid section is NOT the same foot print as the 30H 40H 55H sooooo with that said could it be the same as the 6 cylinder?

I took the powerhead off the mid section and am willing to sell and seperate.

Comment

The 5200 recommendation seems to have started with the merc800 DR. It has the same stroke as a 44/merc500 so it isn't obvious why this recommendation can into being.
        I run my 800s at 6000-RPM and I run my '87 115 at 6000-RPM. Propping either of them down to 5200 doesn't make either one happy, so I don't do it (I have tried it on the 800s) I don't know about the 4-cyl 650, but I don't see why they can't run the same.

Comment

Working...
        X