gear wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear wear

can anyone tell me if my gears are still useable it has a wear pattern but i don't have enough experience to tell thanks much!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by foamham View Post
    can anyone tell me if my gears are still useable it has a wear pattern but i don't have enough experience to tell thanks much!
    Question;
    What are you using them on?
    are pits few and small?
    are replacements available and reasonably priced?
    Pictures only show so much

Assuming you still wish to use these have them shot peened and this will give them more life.

Comment

Gears

From the photos it looks like they might serve as a lake racer with very limited use. If your racing I would replace them. All quicksilver lower unit parts are available. Both A, B, C and D gears are available. I would not shot peen gears in that the process will cause a slight distortion due to the compression stress imposed on the surface of the gear. With them already run in and developed their wear pattern it possible that this will be distorted and accelerate wear. One other note, if the gears have been surface hardened then shot peening is out of the question

www.Aeroliner-boats.com for info.

Alan
      Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
        From the photos it looks like they might serve as a lake racer with very limited use. If your racing I would replace them. All quicksilver lower unit parts are available. Both A, B, C and D gears are available. I would not shot peen gears in that the process will cause a slight distortion due to the compression stress imposed on the surface of the gear. With them already run in and developed their wear pattern it possible that this will be distorted and accelerate wear. One other not if the gears have been surface hardened then shot peening is out of the question

www.Aeroliner-boats.com for info.

Alan
        Respectly disagree

Comment

these are D gears i wanted to run it on a sorensen runabout just for fun

Comment

I am assuming the pinion gear wear is like the drive gear wear. If the outfit is just for fun with a stock "D", the gears would most likely be OK provided they are shimmed properly and a good quality gear lube is used. If you want to get new gears it would be best to buy 14/15 gears (14/15 gears are not legal for stock racing in the "D"). They will wear better and probably will give you a better ride in the "lake racer".

Comment

these are D gears i wanted to run it on a sorensen runabout just for fun
              they will work just fine for your use..........hell, I have seen worse in current race gearcases that have been running for years....
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

shot Peening

From what I just read on the internet shot peening relives stress in a part and it also will change the dimensions. Shot peening if done should be done before and surface hardening is applied. I am no expert but that is what I understand for read.

David

PS For your proposed use they look to be fine, just use a good gear lubricant.

Comment

is it true that d quicky gears only last for 30 hours maximum run time? i have heard this but not sure?

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                    they will work just fine for your use..........hell, I have seen worse in current race gearcases that have been running for years....
                    I agree. They don't look that bad and should give plenty of use on a lake racer. There is some pitting but otherwise they look pretty decent.
                    kk

Comment

Ive ran much worse looking gears than that at the Marathon Nationals in Indian River....you will NOT get a better test of your gear case and all other equipment than what you will get at Top O!!

Comment

is it true that d quicky gears only last for 30 hours maximum run time? I have heard this but not sure?
                        not true!!

Comment

I am looking for new or used 44xs gearboxes , cases for my 750ccmod moters.anyone that can sell or knows anyone that has any please help me find them.thanks shawn brill 937-380-1629 or my dad 937-609-2286

Comment

Working...
                          X