W.T.B. 44mod test wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.T.B. 44mod test wheel

I'm looking for a test wheel (load prop) for a 44mod Merc with a Merc 1:1 ratio lower unit. I prefer to have a load on the motor while I break this beast in.
    I want either a new part, or one in very good condition, no junk.
    Feel free to PM me with any leads, or post on this thread. I will be happy to reply with my phone # or Email.
    Thanks!

$$ Test wheel

I have just made one using an old Mercury Mark 30 fishing engine test wheel. The shaft size is correct and all that must be done is machine out the splines and shorten the hub and add a shear pin hole. I can post photos if you like.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
      I have just made one using an old Mercury Mark 30 fishing engine test wheel. The shaft size is correct and all that must be done is machine out the splines and shorten the hub and add a shear pin hole. I can post photos if you like.

Alan
      Thanks Alan, but I have never even seen a Mark 30 test wheel before. I doubt I could find one and have it ready in the next couple weeks.
      After posting my question, I searched and found that Alan Brown makes a test wheel. I will give him a call to see if he has one large enough for my needs.
      If it works, I'll post info here.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
        Thanks Alan, but I have never even seen a Mark 30 test wheel before. I doubt I could find one and have it ready in the next couple weeks.
        After posting my question, I searched and found that Alan Brown makes a test wheel. I will give him a call to see if he has one large enough for my needs.
        If it works, I'll post info here.
        Thanks!
        Jeff I just sent Alan a E-mail also for one.. Maybe if he has two requests he will make a couple?? We can hope
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Jeff, Do you have a test wheel for your Yamatos?

Alan and I have a DMH....We use a test wheel from a batch that T.J. Johnston has for sale(even has his name cast in them)....Our test wheel(T.J.'s) is in 3rd pic on the door with props> https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25973 ..It is for a Yamato (actually I think he said it is a copy of an old Merc size C-D test wheel?)...We just Used a "D" straight prop ream to size it for Alans DMH motors (T.J. can ream it for you, and I think he may do that and include a remove'able sleeve> 9/16" or even 16MM if ya ask?).....
          For my Yamatos, 25MODS....A-MODS, and my old 20H's, I just use a 9/16" prop sleeve in it......Most of my 25MOD and 20H wheels (and even a couple for my 25XS) are old "D" wheels with removeable sleeves.
          The A-MODS struggle a little so I just don't back it as far/deep in the lake.

Load is load.....Kind'a rare you will git the exact RPM/conditions on the beach or test tank, as on plane at speed.

A Yamato test wheel with 1-under gears Y-102/Y-302 or a Y-80 with 2-under gears, or a 25XS with 16/21(5-under).....should not be too far off from your D motor with 1x1 gears as far as load need'd to break-in/test to set initial adjust on carbs.
          You will still need to listen to engine getting on plane ( I like to hear our D-MODS a little rich, then clear as I git on plane).....and watch plug color after a short, full throttle blast, on plane and quick shut down without a lot of mid throttle or idle'n to pit.......and make your adjustments.

Or, write a check for Alan's DMH > https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25973 .......Test wheel.....INCLUDE'D!!........

I'm sure there are lots of other thoughts on this......This is just my method....errrrr ........."Nonscense".............
          Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM.
          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Test wheel

I provided the shaft size for D MOD to Alan Brown 6 weeks ago. I bought a test wheel for a friend and he reported that it works well so he should be able to make one easily or might even have them in stock. Also now use his folding tiller bars on all our engines. Great item.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
              I provided the shaft size for D MOD to Alan Brown 6 weeks ago. I bought a test wheel for a friend and he reported that it works well so he should be able to make one easily or might even have them in stock. Also now use his folding tiller bars on all our engines. Great item.

Alan
              Just got a e-mail and Jeff he is making a few and has me on the list for one
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I just got off the phone with Allen Brown, he put me on the list for a new test wheel. He said he expects to have a batch done next week.
                Thank you everybody for your helpful input.
                This site is great!

Comment

My load wheel arrived a couple weeks ago, I bought it from BTM (their link is on the front hydroracer page) I thought it would be helpful to others if I posted some photos.
                  A load wheel is particularly useful when running an engine in a test tank. You can rev up the engine all you want, and it's not going to throw all the water out of the tank.
                  [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by jeff55v; 07-28-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

"I'm all jacked up on Mt Dew"

Thank you for that link- great way to start the day
                    LMFAO

squirrelboydeluxe

Comment

Working...
                    X