Motor Break-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loaded up. tweek the needles in

also Wiesco recomends on merc rings , bring it up to temp and run it. all depends on what pistons you use and rings and clearence, I have stuck motors withlong break in time and no break in time, all depends on how ya build it
    Jeff

Comment

I will add also this problem was the minute we started it with prop in the water but we had not started the water pump and it has a dry filler block.. I am really thinking we could have a possible ignition problem. So I will switch to a Mag system and see if that helps
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I did check the carbs and the adjustment screws were at 2 1/2 turns out and the jets are 63's.. To much fuel for a new motor?

Comment

2 1/2 turns is a bit much but shouldn't really make much of a difference, just the idle circuit. Turn them in to about a turn. 63's are stock jets for a 44" Merc and are a bit small for a mod motor. You have some other kind of problem. Are your float levels set correctly, it sounds like you're flooding your engine in a major way and it is going into the two bottom cylinders. Too much fuel, but I would expect the carbs to flood from the vents if the floats are set too high or float valves not sealing correctly.
          kk

Comment

Ignition

It really sounds like ignition. Just becasue you have spark when you rope it does not mean the brain box will maintain that spark through RPM's. I have had a stator casue that issue. Spark when you hook up a spark tester, but under load nothing.

Definately hook up a Mag you know works and try it. Easiest way to isolate the problem and begin trouble shooing for solutions.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

So I worked on engines all day yesterday.. The one running on two cylinders I put in 59 Jets and switched to my swing mag system off of my 40 motor.. Hope it works.. I know I should not but I may dry fire it to see if it hits on all four cylinders.. I bet the horses will love that

Comment

put a timeing light on the wires and see if it fireing all the time evenly like i just did on our 44 xs mod merc we washing out our bottom 2 cyld's think we have it fixed now will know tommorow,,, we run .067 jet in ours and a .069 jet in top carb kc's for carbs,,

Comment

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
                  put a timeing light on the wires and see if it fireing all the time evenly like i just did on our 44 xs mod merc we washing out our bottom 2 cyld's think we have it fixed now will know tommorow,,, we run .067 jet in ours and a .069 jet in top carb kc's for carbs,,
                  I will try the timing light when I try the new ignition system again some day. I still have a old induction timing light somewhere from my wrenching days

Comment

Working...
                  X