44 Mod Info for a new person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 Mod Info for a new person

Last night I got a phone call from a person thinking about getting into a D mod.. He asked me some questions I did not know the answer to..

One was how much to get a power head race ready.. Now keep in mind he has nothing but runs in the smaller classes and would need the block, machine work done, assembled and exhaust and ignition included and installed..I try not to keep track of costs for fear of another heart attack!!

Question two was how much would it cost.. Then I told him he would need a tower and foot.. He would build his own boat cause he has done this before..

The last question was who does these motors anymore for other folks.. I told him a lot of folks are getting up there and are considering trying to retire.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

How fast do you want to go? How much money do you want to spend? Age old questions that you need to answer. Winning engines are not cheap even if you do the work yourself. If i was just starting in this class I would buy a running engine. You are most probably going to pay $2500.00 or more. for a engine that would keep you close to the front. As you gain experience you could use a lot of those parts to make your engine into a more competitive engine.
    Art k

Comment

I would probably agree with Art about buying a complete engine rather than build from scratch. An engine in this condition would definitely be cheaper as separate components almost always increase the cost. With the learning curve of starting a new class being an obstacle to overcome anyway it just makes sense to shortcut when you can.

Comment

Burt Hoefs probally has the best deals, very fast competitive engines, and around what Art said for price, Burt has some top notch stuff, And I believe Art has 1 for sale too
        Jeff

Comment

40 MOD Merc

Well it is always great to see someone want to get into D Mod. I agree that buying a well maintained D engine is going to be most cost effective way to go to get started. If we were to start from scratch we could expect to pay $150 for a power head from a fishing motor. From there a set of stacks fully machined and fitted to the block can run upwards to $750. Now add a bass foot and tower and we have about $2000. Hopefully the acquired power head has a good crank, rods and pistons. If the crank pin diameter is .882 the rods will have to be honed. Next a good set of carbs will run $200 and a fully rebuilt magneto will add another $180. Add to this a full set of bearings, piston rings and seals and we have another $250. Now we have most of what we need to have the block machined and the engine assembled. This includes a port job, carb openings enlarged, flywheel machining, crankcase line bored if reed blocks are loose, rotating components balanced and engine assembled. I would assume this will run about $1500 to $1900 depending on who you have do it. If the block has to be bored and requires oversize pistons add another $600.

Someone might want to add to this but it brings you to getting a good used engine unless you want it done your way. Now to go racing we add a couple used props for $400 and we have it.

If you have your own machining capability and can do the assembly and fitting work this can save a bunch.

Alan

Comment

Kelly Kidwell built the engine that won DMR at the APBA nationals last year. I suggest getting the person in touch with Kelly, he does excellent work. I will PM his number to you.

Comment

we may have a few of these for sale this season... we only have 10!
              Attached Files

Comment

I love the towers, but there about 7" to tall for me
                Jeff

Comment

so you like 1 inch towers??

Comment

Is it legal to line bore a 44 or not some say it is some say not .I know what most 44 blocks cc at been doing it for 45 years and if I was a insp. and one had 22 cc I know something has been done to it . I know most people know at one time a few people could get pistons from Merc. with no wrist pin hole in them so you could put them where you wanted to to lower the cc so what is the deal let's hear it and this was in the early 80's

Comment

Line Boring

It was made legal in NBRA for this year
                      Keith Kampen

Comment

spend your money on a good prop!

Comment

Here's a good start out, turn key, package!!

https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25973

Motor is solid, reliable.....Stock ports so that would be the next step.

KA-7A carbs.

Hustler exhaust.

Mason built MJR design.......
                          Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM.
                          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                          X