• 44 factory

44 merc factory
    Attached Files

Looks nice..You will have backups for your backups
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Meticulous Workmanship

Absolutely meticulous workmanship. Bravo!

Will somebody please, please tell me when the Mod divisions will start using a competently designed water injection system on their exhausts? Properly done, it's like another gear ratio, when you're not using sliding exhaust stacks.

Regards,

Paul

ps: As O. F. Christner often said, "It's not necessarily the fastest that wins the race, it's the (legal) firstest."

Comment

original looper,,, design it ..test it...make sure it really works.. they will buy it...

Comment

Water.

Paul I tried it on a 20H back in the early 70's . The stack we ran would lose tune at low speed the water would bring it back in like a kick in the butt, it only worked at low rpm we should have worked on it more. We put a Quincy water injection sys. on a OMC Super Strangler to help it on lemans starts it did help .

Comment

Danny:

If the pipe length/diameter/angles/etc., is right to start with (tuned for max RPM) then the water injection really does not help at higher RPM. In fact in can have a detrimental effect, especially if used with an expansion chamber that has a strong pulse back to the exhaust port.

When I set most all the records for the RB Class back in the 80's, both Kilo and Competition, it was with props that were difficult to get "to keep going" with the gear ratio I was running, right after the breakover on plane. Water injection was the key to getting these props out of the "bog" and on into the higher RPM range.

If you don't know what you are doing with it, or try to use it when you should not be, it can be an expensive proposition with what happens if you are out of the correct RPM range when you push the button to introduce the water.

As mentioned, much more critical with pipes to have it right with dump tube/jet size than an open megaphne type chamber so as to get the full benefit.

As most already know, temp of the exhaust gas is critical to max HP. That is why one of the first "speed secrets" with the Yamato 80 was to block the small hole in the bottom of the block to keep water off the pipe in the tower housing. I understand some do the same thing now with either the Stock Merc and/or OMC A, or possibly both. I think they legalized it as it was difficult to police. Not absolutely sure about that though.
            Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 03-31-2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

water pickup

john,can u show me how u fabric the water pickup at the cavatation plate.i've apply the same tactic but the water pressure is way too low.

Comment

I will try to get you a picture, but I will say the pickup under the cav plate took some engineering, large opening with large I.D. hose.
                This even works with a test wheel.

Comment

i would luv to see you cav plate pics also......

Comment

I need one of thase xhaust please please please

Comment

Towers

Are you selling any towers and exhaust systems

Comment

heres the pics of the water pick up for the 44 mod/302 gear case, shoots water thru the block like a fire hose, with a prop or a test wheel!
                        Attached Files

Comment

what size is your hose outlet from cav plate pickup..

Comment

3/8" id

Comment

wow some excellent work and great looking engines

only negative i see is the 302 lower units with what is it i believe 9/16 prop shaft

i do not believe it wll hold up to a good (front running) 44 mod..

Jeff Ruth was running out front last year (early in season) in a turn twisted the prop shaft of a 302 yamato off losing prop and damaging the engine !

is any body making a pick up i can buy to mount to my cavitation plates on my yamato hatchet units need 2 ? Please advise!

hope i am wrong about the 302 units

good luck to all
                              Randy
                              Last edited by RandY Aveline; 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM.
                              Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Working...
                              X