Oversized pistons anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversized pistons anyone

Now that I am almost done with boat building I though it would be good to learn how to build one of these 44's. Never had one apart but I now have one in a basket..It is ported and bored so I now need a set of first oversize pistons (.015) and rings.. I figure if I can get it back together and it runs it will be good for my racing..So anyone with a really good deal out there let me know..I just want to know how these suckers are suppose to look before they go boom..

Time to go back to reading my Brinkman book!
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Mike

I will get hold of you, there are a lot of options other than factory stock pistons. Many makers of these at a considerable amount less than Merc.

In your area, you might also contact Lonnie Morris, he has a marina in Stockton, CA. I am sure he could order soemthing in for you at a reasonable cost. He is also pretty sharp on the 44 Mercs.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Sounds like my little personal project hit a big snag..My rods are the 600-4 ones which I believe are the small end ones and so there really are not any options avaliable.. Thanks for all the private messages

Comment

Mike
        If you can not find any big end rods I have a couple of boxes of three ring pistons. Hastings still makes rings for them. If you are interested send me your bore measurement and I will see how close I can match.

Comment

Pistons are easy

There are tons of pistons available for old Mercs, both originals and after market. Go with nice used originals as they clean up good and you don't have to spend a lot of time on break-in like you would with virgin aluminum. Rings aren't hard to find either as I buy them through the NAPA marine catalogue and they work well. Old racers really do tend to wind up with boxes full of good, usable slugs. Now finding good cranks is a whole other thing.....

Comment

The small vs big rods is that talking about the wrist pin size or is the crank end bigger?? In other if you have the big rods do you need a different crank??

Comment

We are talking about the wrist pin size. Crank end is the same as is using the same crank. There are some slight differences in cranks if you are using an old 40 crank, early merc 500 crank, later model 500 crank (70s which requires a different top end cap). The Brinkman book covers these very well as well as the interchange of rods.

Comment

does anyone have a part number for the big rods?

Comment

Rods

Build list for the original 25SS Merc 22 c.i. (same rod as 4 cyl) is 619-3195A2 for the rod assy.

Now this is off a 1975 document, so the A number may have changed, or the whole number may have superceded...

Worst case, look up any 44, late '70s vintage.

As I recall there were a couple forging numbers over the years, That number on the rod I beam is not necessarily the actual part number... I see some have a forging number of 619-4844.

Jerry

Comment

Mike
                    i concur with Jerry, 619-3195A2 is the part number also used on the later merc 500's the numer cast into the I beam is 619-4844.

David

Comment

Originally posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
                      Mike
                      i concur with Jerry, 619-3195A2 is the part number also used on the later merc 500's the numer cast into the I beam is 619-4844.

David
                      Thanks David and Jerry.. I am working the problem in between the honey do list, boat building and boat repair..lol

Comment

wiseco pistons,,, dealer price about 78$ coated skirts 2 rings/chromed. can have dropped shipped to ya,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
                          wiseco pistons,,, dealer price about 78$ coated skirts 2 rings/chromed. can have dropped shipped to ya,,,,
                          Cheyney I need to find the right rods first but I will keep it in mind..Thanks

Comment

merc 500 late style rod like 44xs,,,,, have 4 laying at shop...... and sure john meyers in seattle or westby has a dozen or so of them for cheep,,,

Comment

.015 over 44 pistons

Dave, Mike, I am in need of some .015 over pistons also for some extra 44 blocks that we are boring. any info on where I can buy some would be very helpfull.

thanks!
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X