Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversize pistons and rings for 40 and 44 cube blocks

Hello Gents:

I have a number of mark 50 and 55 blocks as well as some pre '65 Merc 44 inchers that need boring to be usable again. Does anyone know of a source for oversize pistons and rings for these engines? Much appreciate any leads, thanks!!

George Garland

Pistons

Oversize pistons are available for the 44, Vertex, GLM, Wiseco all make pistons for that engine. You will have to change rods to the big piston pin ends though. The 50 & 55 blocks I know of no source for pistons unless you happen to find an individual or old dealer that may have some. You might find some usable used items in the junkyard. Why rebuild those 40ci blocks? No real use in racing anymore. Unless your just restoring engines. I question using the old 58 blocks for racing. I think you would be much better off using the later 500 series if you intend use them for racing.
    Art K

Comment

Originally posted by Art K View Post
      Oversize pistons are available for the 44, Vertex, GLM, Wiseco all make pistons for that engine. You will have to change rods to the big piston pin ends though. The 50 & 55 blocks I know of no source for pistons unless you happen to find an individual or old dealer that may have some. You might find some usable used items in the junkyard. Why rebuild those 40ci blocks? No real use in racing anymore. Unless your just restoring engines. I question using the old 58 blocks for racing. I think you would be much better off using the later 500 series if you intend use them for racing.
      Art K
      Art bite your tongue! The 40 is still holding it own in NBRA D class with the Tohatsu. Come on guys we need more Mer's the Tohatsu are ganging up on us!!

Larry Mac

Comment

True enough, but I am building a historically correct ( I hope ) 40 incher and aside from the worn out bores, the rest of the engine is pretty nice. I have some others here for resto as well and it is a shame to have to toss the blocks just because the bores are worn out. I will keep looking on all those dusty shelves but I may sleeve the engine if it comes to that. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hi George:

If you are in need of oversized 44 large pin pistons, I can supply you with either Vertex or Wiseco. You can check them out on my Web store www.outboardparadise.com or email me at mike@outboardparadise.com

Take Care,
          Mike DeLisa

Comment

Pistons

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
            Art bite your tongue! The 40 is still holding it own in NBRA D class with the Tohatsu. Come on guys we need more Mer's the Tohatsu are ganging up on us!!

Larry Mac
            True enough Larry! I would build one myself if I could find decent parts. I think you guys are the only ones around with a reserve of good parts. So its Tohatsu time for us. Right now I think this is one the most competitive classes going. Dog eat dog!
            Art K

Comment

Larry I am with you..Time to kick some Tohatsuey a**
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

T o h a t s u

Twist n shout n knock yerself out!! As we all pretty much know... there's a lot of satisfaction scrounging up parts (nos, best-used, etc) and in the process, sharing /listening to old worn-out tales of yesteryear while tipping a cuppa-joe or bottle-of-Bud.

BUT...let's say you've heard all those stories ten time or more... and you just want to GET IT ON, blow the cockpit sides off your budds boat... and have some brand new part, OR ENGINE, drop-shipped to your doorstep... it's time to learn how to spell T O H A T S U ... the motor for U.

Yup... no more old war-stories to endure... just new ones to create for your grand-kids.

You just click "create mail" and type in: netohatsu@myfairpoint.net or give me a call at 207-737-4570 and I'll do my best jump-start your heart.

Alex
                Last edited by ram95; 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM. Reason: email address

Comment

True. But old bastards like me are hard to change, cut me and I bleed Quicksilver Formula 50, mister. There is a reason the old warriors sit around the campfire and sing the old songs.

Comment

40 ci pistons

at 1 time not long ago you could get a 40 or 60 over turner piston for the 40 ci merc 55-H

Sierra still has pistons also for the 55-H alltho they are a bit pricey from what i hear!

I am looking for 1 or 2 30 over merc 3 ring pistons as back ups!

i am at present completing a restoration project of a block jimmy merriman had harry obrien install his obrien exhaust on this engine in 1978 i found it in a so called junk sale I will post Pic of completed engine soon
                    < bill smith sold to me right before he died !

will be done this week and will be raced when i am at An NBRA race

all in all looks like it will be just fine , port job is not what we ran and did all the winning with in the 80s however if it pulls my good 55-H d wheel i will be happy hard to get any better than the harry Obrien installed obrien exhaust

i do have 3 decent 55-H 15 over used pistons and a set of brand new 15 0ver pistons for the 55-H engine(not for sale tho sry guys)
                    will be used as back ups for the next 55-H rebuild
                    these are going to be installed in another decent merc block some time next year

luckily harry brinkman hooked me up with plenty of merc oversized rings for these projects ! from what i understand you can still get rings for the 55-H at hasting rings up to 40 over

from what i am seeing you can still get decent used 55-H pistons the 4 30 overs i had looked bad until i cleaned them up using berrymans chem dip and some elbow grease with a brass wire brush they came out looking like new

well thats all for now

regards to all
                    Randy
                    [QOTE=gfgarland;196725]Hello Gents:

I have a number of mark 50 and 55 blocks as well as some pre '65 Merc 44 inchers that need boring to be usable again. Does anyone know of a source for oversize pistons and rings for these engines? Much appreciate any leads, thanks!!

George Garland[/QUOTE]
                    Last edited by RandY Aveline; 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM.
                    Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

If you're still looking for 44 pistons I have a new set of small wrist pin .040" over 44 pistons that I'll sell.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Mercury Pistons Available

Genuine Mercury OEM 44 pistons are still available in standard bore and
                        +.015" sizes. These are the latest two keystone ring design and are a superior quality piston, in my not so humble opinion.

Part numbers are 780-9229A7 Standard bore and 780-9229A10 +.015" bore.

I can provide race proven recommended finish bore dimensions for each size. Drop me a note. tridentracing@new.rr.com

I have For Sale, a set of four new Standard bore 780-9229A7 pistons, nicely matched by weight. $400 + shipping for the set (these include wrist pins, rings and retainer clips). Also have For Sale, New Standard bore rings, 39-18653A12, $110 + shipping (this is a set of 12 rings, even though you need 8 per motor).

Other 44 parts? Drop me a note.

Jerry Wienandt
                        Trident Racing

Comment

Pistons

Oh, forgot to mention, Mercury reduced their prices recently.

Much better than a couple of years ago...

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by gfgarland View Post
                            Hello Gents:

George Garland

hastings has rings for the 40 ci and 44 ci in some cases they will need to be narrowed as they are 105 thou wide err thick and 1/16 th tall same as the mercs

call hastings tech support and talk to dawn she has been there 40 years and knows her stuff

i am still looking for 1 30 over 40 ci 3 ring piston please will trad a 15 over or pay fair price
                            also need 1 3 ring 44 ci 15 over if i can find 1

Randy
                            Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Working...
                            X