Electric starter use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric starter use

Does anyone use the hand held electric starter to start their E mod mercs..My main question is do these starters put to much stress on the flywheel nut and crank to make this not a wise choice..Just thought it might make life easier on the pit crew..
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Starter nut

You can make a small plate that bolts to the flywheel, almost like a puller. Weld a nut to the center of plate. This way the starter will drive the " puller bolt holes " instead of the crank shaft nut . Go karts use a similar set up on some applications ..

Comment

I've seen them used and borrowed one at a race. No problem that I could see.

Comment

The kart starter is the best thing I have bought in years. I don't like to use the flywheel nut either. I make a plate to bolt on the hub, $45.00 if anybody wants one. Make sure you geta starter with the right rotation they make them both ways.

Larry Mac

Comment

crank

We start 500 rossi,500 konig,500 konny 700 konig and 700 konny probably hundreds of times as we were one of the first teams to do so. have not seen and damage of any kind that could be blamed on the use of the starter.
          I believe that the damage claimed by racers would of happened starter or not. Kind a like Global Warming lolololool

Pat Wright

Comment

Starter

One of the best purchases I have made.Kind of like the boat cart! Why did I not think of that years ago. Sure makes starting the big engines a heck of a lot easier.
            Art K

Comment

Yes

YES. Get one. Kart-O-Rama sells an outboard one.

Take Larry up on his plate. We build something similar. This way there is no way you can blame a broke crank on the starter.

We sell batteries too for the starter !! We can bring it to Montana or Centrallia ! It is a little jucier than the stock battery that comes with it.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by raceright View Post
                We start 500 rossi,500 konig,500 konny 700 konig and 700 konny probably hundreds of times as we were one of the first teams to do so. have not seen and damage of any kind that could be blamed on the use of the starter.
                I believe that the damage claimed by racers would of happened starter or not. Kind a like Global Warming lolololool

Pat Wright
                You may get along doing this for years but it isn't good mechanical practice to hammer on a nut time after time. I have heard of the top of the crank being broke off. And yea I'm one of them guys that believe in global warming.
                Larry Mac

Comment

ELECTRIC STARTER for Racing Outboards

Your Pit Crew will love you;

For several years, I have sold the Coleman Electric Starter for Racing Outboards. They will easily start 700cc, 250+ hp VRP's, Rossi's, and Konigs.
                  I have them built with optional big 10 amp AGM battery, and they sell for $249.95 including big battery.
                  Order it with optional 2 prong aluminum adapter that engages two holes in crank plate, eliminating stress on top Crankshaft Nut.

Jim McKean.......captainjimmckean@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
                    You may get along doing this for years but it isn't good mechanical practice to hammer on a nut time after time. I have heard of the top of the crank being broke off. And yea I'm one of them guys that believe in global warming.
                    Larry Mac
                    Have seen the tops of cranks break long before the Starter was ever used.

Just like when right after the big bang (start of the world) there was extreme weather for hundreds of years Tornados,earthquakes,hurricanes (or worse). And I checked with the DMV there was no CARS to cause this.

But I do have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn lololoooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McKean View Post
                      Your Pit Crew will love you;

For several years, I have sold the Coleman Electric Starter for Racing Outboards. They will easily start 700cc, 250+ hp VRP's, Rossi's, and Konigs.
                      I have them built with optional big 10 amp AGM battery, and they sell for $249.95 including big battery.
                      Order it with optional 2 prong aluminum adapter that engages two holes in crank plate, eliminating stress on top Crankshaft Nut.

Jim McKean.......captainjimmckean@yahoo.com
                      Does the price include a charger for the battery??

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                        Does the price include a charger for the battery??
                        Hi Mike;

$249.50 includes big high output battery, but NO charger.

Thanks;

Jim

Comment

bought mine from Jim Mckeen best investment ever, I also use in om my 3 holer, makes life so much easier. Good food for thought get an extra Battery from Lyle mason, his will last all weekend without charging, also make sure you dont take water up the pipe or make sure you hand turn engine at least 1 turn, I did break a crank with the starter cause I failed to check for a hydraulic issue, but it broke at #3
                          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by thetrailergod View Post
                            bought mine from Jim Mckeen best investment ever, I also use in om my 3 holer, makes life so much easier. Good food for thought get an extra Battery from Lyle mason, his will last all weekend without charging, also make sure you dont take water up the pipe or make sure you hand turn engine at least 1 turn, I did break a crank with the starter cause I failed to check for a hydraulic issue, but it broke at #3
                            And my pipes always fill up with water so if we forgot to check it one time........

Comment

Got my starter plates from Larry Mac today..This will work perfect after I get my starter
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X