bayer tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bayer tower

I'm having trouble keeping my Konig attached to my Bayer. Any suggestions?

If the center line of the crankshaft................

is not DIRECTLY in line with the center line of the drive shaft on the lower unit, you can have problems. Just a few thousandths can cause a big problem This typically can occur if an adapter plate was used to mate the powerhead with the top plate on the Bayer housing as they were mostly intended to be used with Merc 4cyl powerheads. Same can apply if a different lower unit is being used than intended and an adapter plate is being used on the bottom.

These two components HAVE to be in perfect alignment with each other or you will have problems. If not, in addition to loose attaching bolts, you can also have bearing problems in the powerhead and lower unit.

The same applies to any powerhead to lower unit coupling where the tower housing is not square in every way. Sometimes the tower housing can be squared up on a mill, but only a certain amount.

Comment

ditto,,, you have alignment problems,,, bin there...

Comment

Vibrations

You have a vibration problem, which could be casued by the great descriptions above.

One more lesson I learned the hard way with loopers. Not sure on your Konig, but it prolly vibrates pretty good. I am assuming the engine block is made of aluminum. So is the Bayer tower. if you are mating these two components together using a gasket, it could come loos this way. I had one of the very first Brinkman H Leg housings Harry ever made. We used it under our 850CC Mod Hydro. This is the 3 cyl OMC. It vibrates like a washing machine not level. Well we would always have to tighten up the powerhead nuts between heats. Some would loosen a little, and a couple times come off. Even using green locktight and good quality lock nuts. Well, the gasket would tear underneath the powerhead often and this would in turn allow the powerhead to shake more. One time it sheared every stud there and it popped off. I then thought about it and eliminated the gasket between the mating surfaces of the powerhead and the tower. I instead used the high temp orange silicone. This eliminated the torn gaskets and kept the powerhead tight for dang near the entire season. I still have the Brinkman H Leg, but I use a steel tower housing Bud Parker made me. Sadly, it was one of the last ones he ever made. And his quailty and great prices died when he passed on.

So this might be an option for you to try as well.
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
        X